PDA

View Full Version : The Search for America's Dumbest Student-Athlete Starts NOW

mountain dew
07-17-2010, 07:58 PM
http://deadspin.com/5586072/the-search-for-americas-dumbest-student+athlete-starts-now?skyline=true&s=i

This is an introduction for an essay by a student-athlete who attends DePaul University.

Mclovin
07-17-2010, 08:43 PM
this guys amazing

Wish-
07-17-2010, 08:54 PM
"just trying to relaxes in my room," lol this guy is trolling.

Eternal Soul
07-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Omg, I'm having trouble even reading this piece of shit.

Toshio
07-17-2010, 10:35 PM
how many children does Sarah Palin have exactly?

Siddhartha
07-17-2010, 10:45 PM
It's funny because they're always describing athletes as people who've not only excelled in a physical activity but inside the classroom as well, "Oh he was a straight-A student in high school but then he decided to pursue basketball".. yet in a sports conference they can barely string together a coherent sentence.

Laif
07-17-2010, 11:18 PM
When I read this, I think of RFoH for some reason...

Ecliptic.Sun
07-17-2010, 11:22 PM
It's funny because they're always describing athletes as people who've not only excelled in a physical activity but inside the classroom as well, "Oh he was a straight-A student in high school but then he decided to pursue basketball".. yet in a sports conference they can barely string together a coherent sentence.

HAHAHAAH this is soooo true xD +1

mountain dew
07-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Brandon Roy, star player for the Portland Trailblazers and Washington University legend, had to retake the SAT like 4 times to be eligible to play ball in college.

Beast[Skynet]
07-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Brandon Roy, star player for the Portland Trailblazers and Washington University legend, had to retake the SAT like 4 times to be eligible to play ball in college.

And he's still going to make 10x more then any of us.

Count_Chocula
07-17-2010, 11:46 PM
When I read this, I think of RFoH for some reason...

I can see why... it's bad but not Michael_Myers bad, so RFoH is that middle ground :D

mountain dew
07-18-2010, 01:01 AM
And he's still going to make 10x more then any of us.

He already has :D

Chewing
07-18-2010, 07:08 AM
I think its beyond ridiculous how retards can get into great universities, because they are good at sports. Glad you dont have this nonsense here in holland.

RedRagToAnOrc
07-18-2010, 07:31 AM
I think its beyond ridiculous how retards can get into great universities, because they are good at sports. Glad you dont have this nonsense here in holland.

Britain too!

Oh wait, rowers at Oxbridge.

Snowi
07-18-2010, 07:43 AM
We don't have great universities, so that's not good either. R&D is becoming less and less attractive in the Netherlands: http://www.fd.nl/artikel/15441168/weinig-interesse-r-d-nederland.

4Fun
07-18-2010, 07:48 AM

for the love of god, get bieber out of your sig plz.

It's incredibly annoying to see his face everytime I scroll by your posts.

No offence though.

hamsterofdark
07-18-2010, 10:20 AM
I wish some1 had the clip of Jamarcus Russel being interviewed while watching the 2008 SEC championship; it was a string of sentences and I could not discern a single word.

EDIT: found, but I think there was a better one somewhere else, O well this is pretty bad and will have to do.
eK3k-LLnZ7k

Beast[Skynet]
07-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Have you ever seen Russel play? I'm not surprised.

xV.Pa[N]da
07-18-2010, 11:39 AM
So when they get into university, how on earth do they pass their subjects?

Elite_Stealth
07-18-2010, 12:27 PM
da;2515910']So when they get into university, how on earth do they pass their subjects?

Did you not read that "A" quality essay in the OP?

kyubi_mon
07-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Sad how idiots can get multimillion dollar deals while doing something that contributes absolutely nothing to society.

Beast[Skynet]
07-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Did you not read that "A" quality essay in the OP?

A? Thats got to be A+

bluedot
07-18-2010, 01:31 PM
how many children does Sarah Palin have exactly?

Oh, god damn... I was reading and then I lost it. You sir... you're an artist.

Cleofatra
07-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Not saying school's don't allow dumb athletes to play but it's amazing how much people base intelligence off of a person's dialect.

Wish-
07-18-2010, 03:59 PM
We don't have great universities, so that's not good either. R&D is becoming less and less attractive in the Netherlands: http://www.fd.nl/artikel/15441168/weinig-interesse-r-d-nederland.

I wonder how much Sports budgets add to a Universities payroll. I personally think sports are useful.

Flooder
07-18-2010, 04:14 PM
they pass their classes by taking the easiest majors, like communications or hospitality management - which are frankly joke majors that shouldn't even been given. It's kind of sad to see them getting into college and people who actually want to try and learn not, whether it be because of financial issues or the school denying them.

In other news I wonder how many of the student athletes have other people take their tests and SATs

mountain dew
07-18-2010, 04:43 PM
for the love of god, get bieber out of your sig plz.

It's incredibly annoying to see his face everytime I scroll by your posts.

No offence though.

Your wish is my command

ViVi
07-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Sad how idiots can get multimillion dollar deals while doing something that contributes absolutely nothing to society.

If you haven't noticed yet entertainment is a huge part of society. They provide what others cannot therefor they are paid more.

hamsterofdark
07-18-2010, 09:25 PM
I wonder how much Sports budgets add to a Universities payroll. I personally think sports are useful.

What do you mean? Assets or liabilities? Football tix sales earns more than tuition possibly.

L3g3nd_
07-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Not saying school's don't allow dumb athletes to play but it's amazing how much people base intelligence off of a person's dialect.

so youre saying this person isnt necessarily dumb?

iNt]Teary
07-18-2010, 11:05 PM
he's saying don't judge a book by its cover.. People shouldn't get full rides unless they are intelligent enough imo.. Someone going to a great university for free that is a complete idiot is just stupid.

MingoDynasty
07-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Maybe there should just be an athlete college or something so these retarded students don't waste our money for sports.

SkSteelPad
07-18-2010, 11:45 PM
If you haven't noticed yet entertainment is a huge part of society. They provide what others cannot therefor they are paid more.

same can be said doctors and any other professions that also requires knowledge that others cannot provide and is actually important to society.

how is lebron james playing basketball important to society?

ticked
07-18-2010, 11:56 PM
same can be said doctors and any other professions that also requires knowledge that others cannot provide and is actually important to society.

how is lebron james playing basketball important to society?

Provides entertainment. Entertainment is important. Not to mention he's a positive role model for kids [as in they'll play sports over doing drugs], and he's probably contributed more money to charities then most will make in a lifetime.

MingoDynasty
07-18-2010, 11:57 PM
Is this argument about retarded student athletes wasting college money or professional athletes contributing to society?

theflyingcow
07-19-2010, 12:10 AM
Teary;2516155']People shouldn't get full rides unless they are intelligent enough imo.. Someone going to a great university for free that is a complete idiot is just stupid.

The Uni's don't have a choice if they want their teams to be competitive: competitive team = more fans watching games = more money for Uni + name recognition => more highly educated students trying to get into school b/c of prestige in both academia AND sports = even more $$$.

By reason then, Picking students who study 24/7 to play on their sports team doesn't yield a D1 competitive team b/c schools with lower standards will take the better sports players = they must pick less than ideal academicwise students. which eventually leads to a race to the bottom of who will recruit the dumbest academic but best sports stars for their teams.

hilarious Palin joke.

bigyellowtwinki
07-19-2010, 10:11 PM
I don't see what the big deal is, if the person is good at playing a specific sport, just let them play, who cares how good they are at jumping through the hoops of public school or college? I sure don't. I'm sure there are plenty of great athletes with no book smarts who never make it to a professional league because of the system, which is obviously biased towards degree holders and graduates.

MingoDynasty
07-19-2010, 10:21 PM
^ they're wasting college money imo.

WinningIsMyGame
07-19-2010, 11:54 PM
How the fuck did you get a hold of my doctoral thesis?

bluedot
07-20-2010, 12:23 AM

I got a big scholarship to go to my undergrad university because of academics. The best case scenario for them, financially, is that I excel scholastically and then go on to get a high paying job and then cut them a check every year when I get a letter reminding me that they paid my freight and I've done alright on account of the education I got. If I'm lucky and very generous they might expect something on the order of a hundred thousand dollars out of me over a lifetime.

If Carmello Anthony showed up at Syracuse and did nothing but slay the rest of the NCAA, max out his meal plan, and bag hot New York college ass, Syracuse still sells jerseys, gets a contract from Nike, sees a rise in applications after they win the tournament (with the $75 fee), and gets to sell tickets to games and popcorn to the folks who come in.

Deans and athletic directors are living in the real world and they know the sometimes dirty realities of their jobs. It's a balance. That's why UT Austin has great academics and athletics. Same with Duke and Stanford. You've got it twisted... if money was all that mattered, I was the waste of resources.

SpiralGalaxy
07-20-2010, 12:26 AM

Your opinion is stupid. College athletics bring in far more money than they give out in scholarships.

Edit: The forums were down so Bluedot beat me to it.

MingoDynasty
07-20-2010, 09:24 AM
So why not have separate colleges? One that only cares about academics and another that only cares about sports? That way, athletes don't have to waste time attempting to write papers and they can just play/train sports all day.

SkyScream
07-20-2010, 09:47 AM
So why not have separate colleges? One that only cares about academics and another that only cares about sports? That way, athletes don't have to waste time attempting to write papers and they can just play/train sports all day.

Because the want the diploma - they think it will hide the fact that they are stupid.

JesBa
07-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Genes that grant you great intellect VS genes that grant you great athleticism...
You can't have it all. So what if they are dumb; they entertain me.

LordMorvan
07-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Genes that grant you great intellect VS genes that grant you great athleticism...
just no

iNt]Teary
07-20-2010, 11:33 AM
having separate colleges can be seen as a form of discrimination. What about the athletes that want to have a good education as well?

ViVi
07-20-2010, 12:43 PM
It is called minor leagues versus college. Check out the European model for soccer or American baseball.

Michael Myers
07-20-2010, 12:46 PM
I can see why... it's bad but not Michael_Myers bad, so RFoH is that middle ground :D

You can go and fuck your mum virgin.

Count_Chocula
07-20-2010, 01:15 PM
You can go and fuck your mum virgin.

Now why would I want to do such a thing? :)

SkyScream
07-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Now why would I want to do such a thing? :)

He's been there, done that.

Ishegara
07-20-2010, 05:08 PM
I am a D1 athlete. I must be retarded.

SkyScream
07-20-2010, 05:10 PM
I am a D1 athlete. I must be retarded.

I knew it!

t3h_pwnage
07-20-2010, 07:53 PM

You're missing the point completely. If "athlete" colleges were created and all the athletes went to play only for them, then universities such as LSU or USC would become poor no-name schools with no recognition or money. Like someone else in this thread said, the income from the athletics department for a university with a high profile sports team is 5-6 times more than the income from tuition. No university would ever give up such a great source of money. Besides, your suggestion of separating the athletic inclined students from the academic inclined students is plain discrimination.

Why are you so biased and angry at these students. There is no need to hate them. They excel at what they do because they work hard for it - harder than you or any of us for that matter. For that I respect them, and so should you.

SpiralGalaxy
07-20-2010, 11:29 PM

You're so dense I'd be surprised athletes at your superior school is even an issue. You struggle so much to grasp a point that you're looking as dumb as the people you mock.

GG.SouL
07-20-2010, 11:39 PM
University of Maryland, a very well known athlete school.

Percentage of White Athlete Graduates: 39

Percentage of Black Athlete Graduates: 0

Need I say more?

bluedot
07-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Yeah, make a point.

EDIT - I'm going to try to go to sleep soon so I'll point out the super-obvious flaw in the non-argument that was posted: black folks tend to do really, really well in sports. LeBron James, Carmello Anthony, Kobe Bryant, and even the much-venerated Michael Jordan didn't finish college with a degree. JJ Reddick and Adam Morrison, college standouts of the highest order, aren't even starters in the NBA. So if you think it's super profound to point out that (without any reference to year or context) more of Maryland's white athletes finished a degree than the black ones, you're mistaken. The fact that it's a "well known athlete school" just serves to undermine your point -- you go there and play sports because you want to play sports as a job. It's WELL KNOWN for that! Shock that the best athletes go off to work before they finish a BA in sociology.

bigyellowtwinki
07-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Yeah, make a point.

EDIT - I'm going to try to go to sleep soon so I'll point out the super-obvious flaw in the non-argument that was posted: black folks tend to do really, really well in sports. LeBron James, Carmello Anthony, Kobe Bryant, and even the much-venerated Michael Jordan didn't finish college with a degree. JJ Reddick and Adam Morrison, college standouts of the highest order, aren't even starters in the NBA. So if you think it's super profound to point out that (without any reference to year or context) more of Maryland's white athletes finished a degree than the black ones, you're mistaken. The fact that it's a "well known athlete school" just serves to undermine your point -- you go there and play sports because you want to play sports as a job. It's WELL KNOWN for that! Shock that the best athletes go off to work before they finish a BA in sociology.

Racist and stereotypical.

MingoDynasty
07-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Stereotypical? Yes.
Racist? No.

bigyellowtwinki
07-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Stereotypical? Yes.
Racist? No.

Racist: -noun.

def. 1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

It's the first damn dictionary definition you illiterate moron.

hamsterofdark
07-21-2010, 02:17 PM

def. 1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

It's the first damn dictionary definition you illiterate moron.

Mingo you black? Alas another fun thread about to be closed cause some1 might be offended.

bigyellowtwinki
07-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Mingo you black? Alas another fun thread about to be closed cause some1 might be offended.

It's in the forums rules that racism is not to be tolerated. I find it pathetic that a mod would blatantly disregard the rules. He should apologize and delete his post at a minimum, since many members have been banned for similar offenses.

mountain dew
07-21-2010, 03:10 PM
THE BLACK PEOPLE DON'T GRADUATE BECAUSE THEY ARE GOOD ENOUGH TO PLAY THE SPORT PROFESSIONALLY AND GET DRAFTED INTO THE NFL OR NBA BEFORE THEY EARN A DEGREE. THE WHITE GUYS AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH SOMETIMES UNLESS THEY'RE JASON KIDD. DON'T DERAIL THIS THREAD OR I'LL PUNCH A BABY IN THE FACE

caps

MingoDynasty
07-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Better at sports != the right to rule others.

Jotun
07-21-2010, 03:39 PM
It's in the forums rules that racism is not to be tolerated. I find it pathetic that a mod would blatantly disregard the rules. He should apologize and delete his post at a minimum, since many members have been banned for similar offenses.

Being a bit dramatic aren't we?

Hard to say why but many blacks do strive towards sports, there's probably a combination of contributing factors but it's probably more environmental than anything.

Strongest blacks brought over from Africa via horrible conditions on a boat, only the very strongest survived that's where bloodline started (for most) Black Americans. Brought up in suburban environments in often poor conditions, you're not likely to see too many of them sitting at home at their nice PC/Xbox 360 shoveling Oreos and Doritos into their faces. Pass times are heavily sports, not hard to see why there's so many blacks striving to become athletes since it's likely what they're good at and enjoy doing.

bigyellowtwinki
07-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Better at sports != the right to rule others.

Yet another demonstration that reading comprehension is too difficult for you.

vwavve
07-21-2010, 04:05 PM
lol at the anger

MingoDynasty
07-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Superior in terms of physical ability or athletic talent (better at sports) is kind of taking it out of context.

You're also completely ignoring that last phrase lol.

Count_Chocula
07-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Superior in terms of physical ability or athletic talent (better at sports) is kind of taking it out of context.

You're also completely ignoring that last phrase lol.

Ignoring what people say to you? Now doesn't that sound like a certain person I just quoted...

MingoDynasty
07-21-2010, 06:25 PM
Oh no, Count_Troll is here to troll me. No worries though, I bought Troll Armor. Came with a 3 year warranty.

HBKZmaster
07-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Are you fucking serious? How is it racist to say that black people are excellent at sports when it is genetically supported that they were? People in the North bred black people like animal stock because it was very expensive to move them across the Atlantic ocean. They wanted stronger and stronger black people, it might not be for cultivation, but they had reasons. It also happened at the south with more frequency and greater intensity.

bigyellowtwinki
07-21-2010, 07:01 PM
It's funny how even basic dictionary definitions go over the heads of so many people.

Count_Chocula
07-21-2010, 09:30 PM
Oh no, Count_Troll is here to troll me. No worries though, I bought Troll Armor. Came with a 3 year warranty.

Exactly my point :)

MingoDynasty
07-21-2010, 09:52 PM
You're not a person. You're a troll.

Beast[Skynet]
07-21-2010, 09:58 PM

Yet you can bash muslims for their religion but he can't state a known supported fact.

SkyScream
07-22-2010, 07:59 AM
Yet you can bash muslims for their religion but he can't state a known supported fact.

This is also a known fact and yet is seen as racist:

MingoDynasty
07-22-2010, 08:52 AM
^ sources?

B.thorns
07-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Hmm maybe http://www.eugenics.net/ ?

mochaflux
07-22-2010, 09:30 AM
This is also a known fact and yet is seen as racist...

It's only seen as racist when it is used to prove that white people are smarter than black people.

Anyway, the following statements from this thread are not facts:

"Are you fucking serious? How is it racist to say that black people are excellent at sports when it is genetically supported that they were?"

"Strongest blacks brought over from Africa via horrible conditions on a boat, only the very strongest survived that's where bloodline started (for most) Black Americans."

The above statements are racist. The following statements are not:

"black folks tend to do really, really well in sports."

"Brought up in suburban environments in often poor conditions...[etc]"
^^Probably means urban not suburban I'm guessing?

Bluedot's comment was not racist at all. He was commenting on how the fact that fewer percentages of black athletes graduate from top sports programs than white athletes is rather unremarkable. It's quite obvious that if there are a higher percentage of black athletes who excel at the professional level, a higher percentage would leave college before getting degrees.

SkyScream
07-22-2010, 09:46 AM
^ sources?

Wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_intelligence#Test_scores

It's only seen as racist when it is used to prove that white people are smarter than black people.

Because it's true. Even Crick knew it is true.

It's also true that East Asians are smarter than Europeans.