Post New Thread

Thread: Internet Experts

Internet Experts

Hello legends of WCR,

I recently moved, and have a new provider. I ordered a package that is supposed to get up to 50mbps. Now I believe it makes sense I would not be getting that full amount, but instead I am only getting between 5-20. I contacted my provider who informed me the connection looks strong on their end with no issues. I am not using their modem/router as I had my own. They are both probably around 3 years old, and both have a max of 150mbps so I do not see how they could be the problem either. Sadly they are out of warranty, and their customer service will not talk to me. Anyone have any ideas?

Accounts Coordinator
    Mad-eye

That's crap. Speak to a manager?

When I call my ISP because my internet is not what they say it ahould be, we run a speed test, if I don't get what they say I should get, they mess with something and then I get the speed I should get.

A guy once told me his friend used to work for an ISP, and he had a CD he could just pop into any computer and get the computer to have 100s of mbps back when like less than 20 was standard.

As far as I know, it's generally controllable on their end.

Are you using Wifi, or hard wired? If Wifi, you may have to play with the settings / frequencies, especially if you live in a densely populated area like an apartment. Try hard-wiring if you haven't already to narrow down what the issue is.

All in all, sorry, I'm not too savvy.

If you're using wifi, it's almost irrelevant results to the isp. Always test with a cable directly into whatever socket they provide for internet. I'm assuming that it's fiber or something since you're not required to use any of their equipment. In that case, you should be able to plug it straight into the wall to the pc. If you're getting good results then, it's not the ISP's problem.

PROTIP: 1 Mb = 1/8 MB, ISP's always advertize with the first (in my country).

Post New Reply

Thread Information