Post New Thread

Thread: Help!

Help!

Okay, my computer is making me absolutely crazy. Earlier today, my computer was on, screen saver was up, but it wouldn't "wake up" when I moved the mouse/pressed keys so I turned it off manually (power button). When I turned it back on, I noticed that my in-board speakers (Lenovo T500 laptop) wouldn't work.

I went to control panel, and it said "no audio device." I tried to reinstall the drivers from the Lenovo website, but during installation I get that message that "the media device for this driver was not found."

FUUUU----

Okay, next thing I try is to update my BIOS and check for new windows updates. There is a BIOS update available (I don't think that will affect my sound card problem, because I can still hear system sounds), but when I try to restart to complete the install, my computer freezes at the "windows is shutting down" screen for like an hour. I manually power off again, and try to get a clean boot. Again, my comp freezes at the windows is shutting down screen.

I installed the Microsoft Hive Manager to help with shutdown issues, but it didn't help. At this point, I'm ready to roof test this laptop. WCR computer gods, please help.

Again, Lenovo T500 Notebook, XP Pro, Service Pack 3.

Dont do bios upgrades. You can better try to backup your files as fast as possible and try to do a clean windows install. These problems can occur, because of virus infections. Sometimes it even renders you unable to use windows explorer. Best is to install a browser as fast as possible, so that when you cannot enter the shell of your computer, you can use a browser to backup files, by starting it through the taskmanager.

A clean windows install will most likely solve this problem. Do not alter bios, unless its a last resort. Firmware updates can be very dangerous to the functioning of the hardware. Besides bios updates are rarely effective, unless you have new unrecognized hardware, such as a newgen processor, for an old mobo with the right socket.

Something very useful if you havent done it yet: Make different partitions (such as c:\ and d:\) at your windows reinstall. This was your os is seperated from your precious files.

I did full scans with AdAware, CC Cleaner, and ESET and no viruses at all came up. Also there was a windows update that tried to run right before this, I looked at my update history and it was just two security updates, nothing big.

Hmm, can you do a hijackthis log? Do you get those "beeps" when a windows sound is played?

In run>services.msc is the service windows audio (and its dependencies) enabled?

You can also do the run>dxdiag and then there are some tabs. I believe there are some sound tests, that if you fail, you can simulate a pass in order to get sound.

Yes, I can hear system sounds. Yes, windows audio service is started.

bedtime for me

Consider reinstalling anyways, or set it back to a system restore point if you have that service running...

good night and good luck

Post New Reply

Thread Information