Post New Thread

Thread: New To Weight Lifting: Question

New To Weight Lifting: Question

Hi,

After researching sites like Men's Health and Bodybuilding.com, I have decided to come to the trustworthy WCReplays member chat forum to ask my question(s). Our Member Chat has a wealth of personal knowledge, and I know there are more then a few weight lifters here.

Q: I am starting a 12-week workout plan, and am looking for the right supplement(s), if any, that I should take. I am 6'0, 200lbs, I'd like to lose 10-15 pounds and gain muscle. I am out of shape, but athletic. I am reading that Whey Protein is a basic need, but some say I should avoid proteins if I am trying to lose weight (as opposed to gaining mass weight in muscle). I see a number of other supplements to consider Pre, during, and Post work out, in addition to different vitamins, fish oil, BCAAs, etc.

I will be committed to working this program, 4x workouts a week. Do I need to be taking supplement(s), and if so, can you recommend a set up that doesn't require a huge number of different supplements? I was also told since I want to lose weight, as long as I work out and drink water I shouldn't need supplements, but of course I want to get the most out of working out.

I apologize if I missed relevant information in the other dedicated thread, but I didn't see what I was looking for. Thanks for the help!

300 Point Level

If you're new to lifting, fuck supplements. They're expensive and you'll get fine results without them. Just take a scoop of protein powder post-workout and you'll be fine. Enjoy your massive beginner gains!

Fish oil is good to take for general health so you can take that even if you aren't lifting. Along with protein, I'm a big fan of creatine. You can get a big tub of it from ON for cheap prices. You can always do your research on certain supplements on examine.com
    I'm letting him [President Obama] off the hook on the IRS thing because not only was the conduct entirely reasonable, it was done by low level subordinates he had not a goddamn thing to do with, and there's been an investigation and pending actions on it internally for a year or more.

You don't need to avoid protein to lose weight. In fact, if you want to lose weight and preserve your muscle mass, you're going to want to keep your protein intake high, and protein supplements are a cheap (relatively) way to get in lots of protein.

Sneaks is definitely right that you don't need any supplements, but speaking for myself, I find them helpful, both for their actual benefits and for the psychological boost. Basically, if I'm going to spend a bunch of $ on supps, I'm going to also make sure my diet is on point. Protein + creatine is a good 1-2 combo, and pretty cheap.

Absolutes:
    Whey Protein
    Creatine (Take 5x doses for a week, then level out to a base of 5-10g/day)

Recommended:
    Pre-workout
    Fish Oil

When caloric intake is in deficit:

BCAA's (useless otherwise)

That being said, 12 weeks may seem like enough, but I think you will find it's just enough for a base. It takes the human body about 90 days to full adjust to a change in cycle/pattern so by the end of that 12-week program you probably will find a strong desire to not quit. Assuming you keep it up, that is. That's essentially the reason why most programs are 30 days or 3 months. Takes the human mind 27~ days to mostly adjust to a new pattern, and 90 to nearly completely change. To the point where it 'feels weird' not to.

If you haven't worked out in a while, I don't think you should worry about protein and supplements. Just get yourself to the gym and eat better. Commit to that for 3 months or so and see where you are at. I dropped 10 lbs in college just by skipping the fries option at lunch and then lost 2 pant sizes just by running 10 or 15 miles a week. Just try to eat healthy 80% of the time and don't go more than a couple of days without working out.

^ +1. I agree.

I am willing to underline how important food is. Not just for gym activities, but in general. I really enjoy getting an easy pizza on Friday and get some crisps later on the evening, along with a beer. But it simply affects my overall mood. It makes me slow, it makes me lazy, it makes me feel fat, like it is narrowing my bloodstreams. On the other side; when I cut my own bell pepper, red pepper, add some pineappel to it, cook a fish, add some rice, some easy sauce; it is so much more awesome. Probably less in calories, but provides so much more energy. Feels much more like willing to clean the house, go out, do something productive. I simply replace the crisps with little tomatoes, or I'll cut a cucumber, melon or whatever. Might take a little bit more time, but it is so worth it.

Post New Reply

Thread Information