Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: So how do you use the Blademaster in Solo?

So how do you use the Blademaster in Solo?

Aftering taking a month-long break from ladder, I'm gonna start up again as orc (formerly human/orc). I think the farseer is lame, and I want to use the Blademaster 1st in every solo match-up (I dont care if i have a better chance of winning with another hero). So how should i go about this vs each race? What second hero compliments the blademaster, and what units compliment him? I'm assuming the best skill order is: WW+CS+CS+WW+CS+BS...is this it? Harassing is pretty much the same vs each race, but how should i take advantage of it? quick tech? harass while grunt creeping? and when i get into full scale battles, i often have trouble keeping the BM alive due to focus fire...any tips on microing him? thanks.

I don't really feel like elaborating, so this is going to sound choppy...

My style of play with the BM is pressure. CONSTANT pressure. Harass straight from the beginning and keep on nagging him, so you keep him in his base, steal exp, steal items, kill heroes, pick off weak units (archers archers archers archers) etc.

Raiders/shaman for stunning units, Naga or TC as 2nd hero, etc etc

I'll try to elaborate on this tomorrow and maybe give a replay

West Palm Beach Florida / Dhaka, Bangladesh (South Asia)

This is what I would do, get a altar etc. then a voodoo shopa nd buy a heal thingy and 2 mana thingy and go harass the other guy and when your yellow wind walk out and heal and use the mana thigny if you need to and come in again and keep abusing him when he tries to cc or is preparing to attack you.

Harass the base.... Kill the peons, peasants, wisp, etc... one by one, destroy wichever building that your oponnent it´s constructing. that will surely distract the attention of the enemy army and won´t let them tech so easily so use windwalk to run away.

Also it´s always good to know WHEN it´s the right time to run away try to get in mind that NE and undead have dust in their shops and they sell it early on goblin merchant so maybe you shouldn´t be to greedy while killing peons and runaway with some time.

TC is a common second hero I think SH it´s better because his skills complement a little more (hex for sniping, and healing wave since BM die very fast if gets FF) but I guess it depends more on the kind of army your enemy is making.

Another thing, getting lightning orb is a hero killer so it´s better to spend some money on that if you plan going bm.

75 Point Level

that ability patern u chose is good but not in all cases. For example, on lost temple, lets say the map is too big to do a efficient harass, or other reasons for not harassing. Then u might take mirror image/cs/cs/mirror image/cs/bs etc. The mirror image fast expo on lt is great, i suggest u do it in custom game to get it smoothly. Also, vs human if u hate fs, and u ARE going to go blade master, i suggest u harass constantly the whole game while u have all units and ur tc creeping. This way u keep him back in his base, or ruin his economy, while ur tc gets built up to be a powerful tank, and damage dealer. Rex.Zacard, (former #1 asia orc player) did this. It works better with farseer imho but he did it with blademaster too. FYI he went like 160-2 on west i think.

I like the BM mainly for creep jacking and stealing opponents items when he creeps, creepjack and harass while creeping with grunts. Second get a TC and later do whatever u want =/

What i try to do, is harass hard with the BM, and sometimes no barracks tech to wyvs. i'm 3-0 w/ strat, but on a new acct.. T.T

bm is the elite intel hero killer early game. no intel hero can really avoid a stocked up bm with pots, mana stick & scroll of speed. not to mention ww. so early harrassing and jacking with hero killing is the way to go

Ive never played a game with BM first without killing a hero the first 5 minutes i think..hes AWESOME especially in dual orc team 2 BM's owns all intell heros in like 5 seconds...BM and fasttech to wyvs is very good..vs all races(it works but not VERY good vs all)

BM is quiet useful vs NE... it's good vs orc too in the right hands... against UD i think he's usable but not nearly as good... against human i think its usually even worse...

Main problem is the later 2 can either nuke or prevent the nuke (or both) of the BM too much..... coil/nova/imaple while fiends can burrow and if they go cl/dk cl is too fat and high armored to be killed fast while DK is too fast to be touched much.... vs human bolt+slow + focus = gg blademaster and even without it slow alone can make BM quiet useless..... early game wise these 2 race can also deal better ... ud with the cold tower (though from personal exp... if ud goes for late shop than bm harrase is annoying indeed) while human look good to harrase on the surface but against a good oppenent u can be surronded etc....

Wind Walk is usually good only in early game (and even then not always-arcane tower etc), later all races have ways of dealing with it. Personally I use MI/CS/MI/CS/CS to make the Bm harder to kill and create confusion in battle.
    I also find him more useful vs ud (anti-nuke) and ne, while I wouldn't suggest him vs or since the only thing the orc player has to do is to avoid him until having 4 or more grunts, then he is rendered useless (the Fs is an easy target only in very early game).

300 Point Level

I dont like using the BM vs UD all that much. But I almost always use him vs any other race. When you are up against HU its important not to go after the Peasants but the Hero instead. In ost cases you hould be able to kill that AM and even if you donbt manage emediately you often force the ennemy to speedbuild an Arcane Vault to prevent it. Plus you keep him in base and away from Creeps easily enough. Once you have 4 Grunts take them along and try to kill the Arcane Vault or any Towers/Peasants that stick out. When the Am comes back to save his base attack him with all units at first until he starts to effieciently run away by which time you remicro your Grunts either on Riflemen or Footmen or whatnot while Pursuing your real Goal of getting a hero kill with your BM.

In later battles when there is a MK arround its smarter to keep the BM out of the fight (unless you are in a position for easy AM killing) until the Hu has lost a few units. Since a lvl3 BM while easily dying to a 50 Upkeep HU army can easily take on a lvl1 MK a lvl3 AM and a couple of Riflemen alone. And thanks to his superior speed you will easily catch more units by the time your ennemy realises that he is on the downside of things although he has considerably more units on the battlefield. And when you reach a highish lvl with your BM the MK becomes an easy target aswell. Just get a potion of lesser Invulnerability, WW in attack once WW cooldown is ready then WW again attack immediately and use Potion-> Pursue MK to his death. REmember to bring Dust in case your ennemy has Adept Sorcs.

Nafaltar

Ok, I've actually thought about this for quiete a time so here is what I came up with:

vs NE
    You go the standard Gruntapult with Shaman (in case of Beastmaster). You start off harrassing, as a Blademaster with Windwalk kills a whisp in 2 swings. Constantly harrassing is the key. You choose your second hero based on your opponents army, if he has huntresses, you pick the Shadow Hunter with Wards, if its Archers you pick the Tauren Chieftain with Wave.

I dont know, but probably mass headhunter can work against NE with Blademaster/TC if he's going for Archer/Talon combo with Beastmaster. You might want to buy a tome of retraining then to be able to tank better using mirrorimage or you just skill WW/CS/CS/MI/CS/BS.

vs Human
    Now we know Human needs to be harrasst to so what you do is follow him around and steal his kills/items while creeping small creepscamps with your growing grunt force. Take Naga or TC 2nd, whatever you see fits, I guess Naga is better to slow down fleeing Riflemen. A bold move would be to choose Darkranger 2nd or 3rd to reduce the Damage done by spellcasters, since you probably won't be able to delay them cuz you're not harrassing in his base but outside of it.

vs Orc
    Be sure to go harrass him right of the bat, trying to take out his Farseer or hurt grunts. If he goes creeping try to steal kills/items or fokus on the already hurt farseer. I think this is the hardest match up to play Blademaster first in. You can either use him to tech fast to Wyvern/Raider or anything you see fit or play your normal Orc vs Orc style, which, actually is a little harder with the blademaster. Be sure to grab an SH second on this fun to Hex/WW the crap out of his farseer/SH.

vs Undead
    I liked the Blademaster in 1.15 in this Match Up. You start of trying to kill acos with WW Harrass. When he encounters you the first time, you'll see if he's smart enough to use the Dust of Appearance he has in his shop. Depending on that and his base built (i.e. Defensive Structures, packed buildings, etc.), you decide wether you can afford to keep on harrassing or go creeping. If you see him using dust a lot to stop you you stop by a shop once you hit level 3 or 4, buy a book of retraining and skill Mirror Image. That makes the nuke on the blademaster much harder. You have next to no problem with air once you hit tier 3 and combine Wyvern/Bats with a Blademaster with Orb of Lightning.

General
    Whenever the opponent has the unit advantage you should try "going ninja on his ass".
    Windwalk, target his weakest (intell) Hero and try to get him to portal or loose his hero. This will keep you outta trouble for a long time in the early and midgame
    Last edited by DruNkeN]w3c[; 07-19-2004 at 01:07 PM.

I don't like him against UD. Dust is right in their shop which Undeads will always have early game, cold tower is a bitch against a solo harasser, and coil will ensure that he can keep his acos alive early game.

He's probably the best hero to fast-tech with in OvO. Peons are not your target though, because of burrow...his Farseer or grunts are. But remember, an army with FS/grunts will beat an equal food army of BM/grunts.

Against NE, he will dominate the Keeper, but get neutralized by the Demon Hunter. It's hard to say whether he's that useful...I've had moderate success, but a smart NE will be able to heal his wisps/archers up with wells pretty quick.

A Human with an arcane tower will also be tough to harass, since it's easy to get stuck in a Human base with no mana. Also, an early footie/AM with W/E push can kill your shop quickly, something no Blademaster can be without.

Another thing you might want to try is fast creeping with Mirror Image. Tough to pull off, but very effective if you can creep some good camps. Mirror Image is pretty mana intensive, though.

300 Point Level

Once again I feel its necessary to point out that early game BM with WW > DH with MB. There are two reasons for this: a) you will win a head on fight b) the healing available to an Orc is more effective in the long run.

Nafaltar

mirror image is not used much when its a gosu creeping spell <3

Nafaltar:
    The Problem is, the DH will probably not engage you until you're happily slaughtering wisps in his base, in which case you have used windwalk at least twice. If he is good enough he will have dispelled the 2nd wisp you were killing which cost you an extra 50 mana, in comes the DH who burns you for another 50.

In an open fight, I agree the BM with WW owns the DH's with MB (I loved to trap DH with a windwalked blademaster in the little gap beneath the shop on PI).

300 Point Level

However in your example you would normally lose since a DH with a Bracelet > a BM with WW. If there is no WW and no MB involved the DH and BM are about equal.

Nafaltar

I like the BM because of the many things you can do with wind walk during a fight you surround his hero with grunts then go windwalk and completely surround him and finish him off bythe time this is done he probably has no scroll of teletportation because of your harassing.

how does the BM work with no secondary hero support? is it a good idea now that bladestorm is cheaper?

Post New Reply

Thread Information