20 22.22%
Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: World Wonder Shodown: Giza Pyramids vs Great Wall of China

World Wonder Shodown: Giza Pyramids vs Great Wall of China

Alright, people. Here are our contestants:

Giza Necropolis

Located in Giza, Egypt, right outside of Cairo lies the Giza Necropolis, consisting of the "great pyramid of Giza" - the Cheops Pyramid. Also included in the excellent package are the Chephren and Mykerinos pyramids, as well as the great sphinx.

All of the buildings are somewhat shrouded in mystery - from who built them, to how they built them. The Great Pyramid is believed to have been the tomb of the ancient Egyptian king Khufu. However, it was emptied long before any historians or archaeologists were able to enter, and make records of the contents.

The Sphinx is even more mysterious. Some claim it is not the body of a lion, but of a jackal - an ode the Anubis, Egyptian god of death. Others suggest that it is linked to sun-worship from even before the Giza area was used as a necropolis.

These magnificent structures have mystified and enthralled humanity for ages.

The Great Wall

Stretching from Shanhaiguan in north-eastern China to Lop Nur in north-western China, along the Mongolian/Chinese border, the Great Wall is an imposing monument to how much the Chinese hated the horse people.

A very utilitarian building, the Great Wall served the purpose that walls quite often serve: keeping unwanted people out. The Wall was built using different techniques in different places - from mud and wood to stone bricks.

Points of comparison

The Pyramids take the first point, having been constructed roughly around 2500 BC. Construction was initially begun on the Great Wall around 500 BC, which while impressive, can hardly compare.

Time frame
    The Cheops Pyramid is believed to have been constructed over the course of 20 years. In stark contrast, the Great Wall, on the other hand, was continuously constructed, extended and maintained up until the 1500s. Whether you think the Pyramids win for managing construction in a shorter time frame, or the Great Wall wins for persistence, there's no denying that both are impressive.

Height
    The Pyramids undoubtedly pull out ahead here. Not only does the Cheops Pyramid dwarf the Great Walls 8 metres with its (original) 146.6 metres. The Cheops Pyramid was actually the tallest man made structure in the world for over 3800 years.

Length
    Unsurprisingly, the Great Wall wins this one supremely. So much so, that measuring it is not a trivial task. Recent estimates put the wall at an incredible 8851.8 km. It's been less than half a year since a new section of wall was discovered.

Technical prowess
    This one is not easy. The Pyramids are remarkable for the precision with which they were build The Great Pyramid itself is a mere 19 cm from having a perfectly quadratic base. On the other hand, the Great Wall snakes it way through mountains, and has been maintained for a very long time

Weight
    The Great Pyramid consists of 2.3 million blocks averaging about 2.5 tonnes per block, for a total of roughly 5.7 million tonnes.

No real scientific attempts have been made at calculating the weight of the Great Wall, as such a task would be completely mammoth. However, one very conservative estimate by some dude (here) puts it between 70 million tonnes and 700 million tonnes. A heavy victory for the Great Wall!

So, WCR. Which one is better?

The Great Wall isn't one of the World Wonders.
    Excess of feeling avoids feelings. He fled the world because he did not find, in the whole compass of his loving nature, a weapon with which to resist it. He withdrew from his fellow men after he had given them everything and had received nothing in return. He remained alone because he found no second self. But until his death he preserved a human heart for all men, a father's heart for his own people, the whole world.
    - from Beethoven's eulogy by Franz Grillparzer in 1827

100 Point Level

My heart says great wall my head says pyramids >.<

It's not one of the traditional "Ancient World Wonders". However, it is often cited as a world wonder, and there is no real global authority on it

Fair enough, it sure is an awesome thing that wall. I still voted pyramids though. Just because they're older.
    Excess of feeling avoids feelings. He fled the world because he did not find, in the whole compass of his loving nature, a weapon with which to resist it. He withdrew from his fellow men after he had given them everything and had received nothing in return. He remained alone because he found no second self. But until his death he preserved a human heart for all men, a father's heart for his own people, the whole world.
    - from Beethoven's eulogy by Franz Grillparzer in 1827

Wall is awesome, but nothing beats the motherfucking Pyramids.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMorvan View Post
    Wall is awesome, but nothing beats the motherfucking Pyramids.

The Wall is certainly a strong contender, but I think it does go to the Necropolis. Pyramids are just badass.
    [21:36] <@SexehSeacow> Gloop is actually pretty funny
    [21:36] <@SexehSeacow> but sometimes he slips
    [21:36] <kuresuti_> right... it does not show up here in the irc
    [21:36] <@Gloop> [10:37] <@SexehSeacow> Gloop is actually pretty
    [21:37] <@Gloop> YEAHH!
    My political, economic and personal blog: http://jazzcriminals.wordpress.com/
    My music blog: http://oneofuscannotbewrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Snowi View Post
    Who's the black private dick
    That's a sex machine to all the chicks?

SHAFT!!

..You're damn right

Pyramids. The Great Wall did not require the same kind of intelligence as the Pyramids, either in the mathematical proportions (which are very interesting) or the construction.

The Great Wall isn't even consistent from section to section - clearly it's the result of "throw money and people at the problem." It didn't do a very good job either.

From what I understand, we still don't even know who built the Pyramids and how they did it. Same goes for the Pyramids in southern Africa and South America.

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtwinki View Post
    From what I understand, we still don't even know who built the Pyramids and how they did it. Same goes for the Pyramids in southern Africa and South America.
    We do, slaves.

The answer is in the film AvP.

The pyramids were made by aliens
    The wall of china is made by slaves

Aliens > Slaves

Number of people killed during construction

Great Wall = Over 900,000!

Pyramids = Unknown, not many anyway.

Great Wall = Built/maintained for over 2 millenium(that has got to be the biggest and most impressive man made project ever. 2-3 million deaths, and built over 2 millenia. Shit goes through the most fucked up mountains and rocky passes n shit, it's all good, just straight through, it's the fucking great wall..

But yeah. Pyramids were built by aliens, so that's definitely a plus for those damn Egyptian bastards.

Overall Verdict: Great Wall takes it. Length and effort involved is epic. None of this 20 year crap, this is a 2 millenium long and 2-3 million death project.. and with no help from aliens, that's even more impressive.
    "I'd tell all my friends but they'd never believe me, They'd think that I'd finally, lost it completely. I'd show them the stars and the meaning of life.. they'd shut me away, But I'll be all right.."

Anime/Manga List | WCR Otaku Group | The Chess Threadô | Vlog/Blog Thread | Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Ishegara View Post
    Pyramids. The Great Wall did not require the same kind of intelligence as the Pyramids, either in the mathematical proportions (which are very interesting) or the construction.

The Great Wall isn't even consistent from section to section - clearly it's the result of "throw money and people at the problem." It didn't do a very good job either.
    That's the whole point. It's impressive just how much people/money they threw at it, and over how long too. Nothing else(AFAIK) can compare with such a scale of project, in the past or currently.

But also, i'm sure the chinese could have built the pyramids, they had pretty good technology for back in the day too and came up with plenty of inventions and shit(as much or even more than the Egyptians at least, and none of this was given to them by alien civilizations ).

And what do you mean by didn't do a very good job? They did the job, or what, did you think the chinese would continue on a faulty project for 2 thousand years when it wasn't doing it's job very well? Or you talking about from an engineering standpoint? How nice did you expect it for being that length and taking that long to make, and going through how many dynasties and revolutions etc.. remember, they didn't have the luxury of making it slowly and it wasn't a project made by some rich fat pharoah as his resting place or place where he can stash all his bling bling, but this was a result of war, and functionality was preferred over aesthetics and mathematical beauty obviously.

Also, saying that the great wall isn't as impressive from an engineering standpoint is pretty silly. Pyramids weren't that hard to make(imo), great wall is much harder to make and organise and bigger project in scale, and all of this during a war(and civil wars too) with ghengis khan on your doorstep.
    "I'd tell all my friends but they'd never believe me, They'd think that I'd finally, lost it completely. I'd show them the stars and the meaning of life.. they'd shut me away, But I'll be all right.."

Anime/Manga List | WCR Otaku Group | The Chess Threadô | Vlog/Blog Thread | Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by SkyScream View Post
    We do, slaves.
    incorrect
    I know i said i wouldn't respond since i know your game of drowning in walls of text and ignoring facts, so i'll keep this short and sweet so it's obvious for everyone to see and so that there's no confusion here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Myers
    After notice this terrible actor was choosen play Sabretooth choose the worst charac.

i like chineses more then egyptianses

click_clack_@hotmail.com<-- msn. infC.Water Looking for practice partner

how can we vote against Necropolis on a warcraft forum. Undead REPRESENTTTTTTTTT ALIEN STYLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Quote Originally Posted by ex0duz View Post
    That's the whole point. It's impressive just how much people/money they threw at it, and over how long too. Nothing else(AFAIK) can compare with such a scale of project, in the past or currently.

But also, i'm sure the chinese could have built the pyramids, they had pretty good technology for back in the day too and came up with plenty of inventions and shit(as much or even more than the Egyptians at least, and none of this was given to them by alien civilizations ).

And what do you mean by didn't do a very good job? They did the job, or what, did you think the chinese would continue on a faulty project for 2 thousand years when it wasn't doing it's job very well? Or you talking about from an engineering standpoint? How nice did you expect it for being that length and taking that long to make, and going through how many dynasties and revolutions etc.. remember, they didn't have the luxury of making it slowly and it wasn't a project made by some rich fat pharoah as his resting place or place where he can stash all his bling bling, but this was a result of war, and functionality was preferred over aesthetics and mathematical beauty obviously.

Also, saying that the great wall isn't as impressive from an engineering standpoint is pretty silly. Pyramids weren't that hard to make(imo), great wall is much harder to make and organise and bigger project in scale, and all of this during a war(and civil wars too) with ghengis khan on your doorstep.
    Pyramids weren't hard to make? We can't do it today. How's that? The stones of the pyramids have incredibly close tolerances.

The great wall is a small, simple structure repeated ad infinitum with nothing special about it and little consistency. It was really just a bunch of disconnected walls which did jack all until the Ming dynasty.

I can draw 100 squares on 100 sheets of paper, or I can paint a landscape. 10,000 squares might take longer, but which one is more interesting and impressive?

Post New Reply

Thread Information