Post New Thread

Thread: torrent question

torrent question

My comp froze while i was DLin a torrent. Only one file in the torrent was damaged but it's keeping me from resuming the DL i think. If i delete the damaged file will it redownload the file and resume DLing the entire torrnent? I'm DLing the torrent from demonoid and they just changed their domain name. Is it possible i need to change something in the torrent to the right domain name in the part that uses that information?

It should. Try moving the damaged file from the DL folder?

Right now the torrent program's checking the existing data, I paused and restarted it an hour ago.
    O shnap. The pause and restart is working it's magic. the torrent works now! Maybe it automatically deleted the file.

Since i solved that question here's a much harder one.

You know how when your DLing a torrent and it seems like there's always that one guy that's DLing so much faster than you. Even though You've been DLing the torrent 2 days longer than he has. And then suddenly he's got more DLed than you and even after that he's still DLin like 40 KB/s more than you. If you end up in that situation is it better to just restart the torrent to "reset" your position in the DL priority order or w/e? Because it seems like that's what just happened to me.

If your IP is the same I don't see why your priority in the queue would necessarily change.

Priority doesn't change as there are not queues, he probably has a faster connection than you.
    It seems like a lot of people were born in the same year as Jesus Christ. Although it would seem obvious since many people on this board are doing 4.0 GPAs in an ivy league school while dating a model and running 4 minute miles.
    Epic Replays

www.dbelldesign.com.au - web design and development

www.csgoreplays.com - CS:GO Replays, A Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Community

No i think there is a priority because my connection maxes out at like 360-380 KBs and right now i'm only DLin 12KBs. The client just crashed too cause this comp sucks and i was getting between 70-320KBs and now i'm getting 12 so i'm pretty sure there's a priority now and where you land in it is just dumb luck.

I'm no expert at how torrent software works, but maybe the guy you are downloading from and the guy who is downloading faster are sharing more than one file? If they have more than one file in common, that would explain why that guy is higher in the queue, because he is also giving something back. And also, you have to look at geography - if both of those guys live near each other and you live half way across the world, then pure internet might be slowing your download.

Another thing, when you are asking about something as specific as how the file download resumes, naming your torrent client (i.e. the actual program you are using) is way more helpful than where you got the downloaded file from.

There's no priority as far as i can tell. It's just dumb luck, and your connection vs others connections. And of course if you have a shit comp, it will be slower too, or what caps you have in place.

How can you even compare vs other IP's? You don't even know what kind of bandwidth they have, or whether they are maxing it out, or who they are connected to, or what settings they have. Completely useless comparing imo.

And honestly, if you're dl'ing at 12k for days, i suggest you find another torrent lol
    "I'd tell all my friends but they'd never believe me, They'd think that I'd finally, lost it completely. I'd show them the stars and the meaning of life.. they'd shut me away, But I'll be all right.."
    Anime/Manga List | WCR Otaku Group(Now in Member Chat!) | The Chess Threadâ„¢ | Youtube Channel

Post New Reply

Thread Information