Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tips on teaching someone to snowboard

Tips on teaching someone to snowboard

I'm going to Austria for a week's snowboarding with a buddy who has 0 experience.
    We're going for a chill week, so we don't wanna be taking lessons or crap like that, so it's going to fall to me to teach him the basics.

Now snowboarding for yourself is one thing, but teaching someone else to do so is another.

I'm not an expert snowboarder. I have about 5 weeks of snowboarding experience, can take turns smoothly and rapidly without effort on easy and medium slopes, but I have to really work hard and put a lot of effort in on black slopes, so by that you can kinda judge my level.

I've already googled around a bit and found some basic tips like teaching him to scoot, teaching him to just slide down and then teaching him the falling leaf motion. I assume it won't be too difficult to get him that far, but what comes next is taking connecting turns. How do you teach someone that? I know I have to emphasize on a lot of weight shifting and stuff but what is a good way to bring that across?

Any other hints? I'm also afraid of seeing him unload the lift for the first time, that's going to be fun :P

edited for grammar-cop fridg
    Last edited by NoBigThing; 02-18-2011 at 03:36 AM.

Well for me an important point was to always keep your front hand (I'm regular so my left hand) straight - a lot of the time it'll lean back or forward which really puts you off your turns.

I'm not sure if there's any really good teacher but experience - he's going to have to learn to flow with the board and its counter-intuitive feeling. Gravity is your friend, not your enemy, and when he stops fearing falling over he's going to do it a lot less.

It also depends how good he is - it took me about four days or so to learn turns, and then honestly I only felt like I doing them well by my 10th day or so, and I've only done like 15, if that.

Also, "teaching" him, not "learning" him.
    [21:36] <@SexehSeacow> Gloop is actually pretty funny
    [21:36] <@SexehSeacow> but sometimes he slips
    [21:36] <kuresuti_> right... it does not show up here in the irc
    [21:36] <@Gloop> [10:37] <@SexehSeacow> Gloop is actually pretty
    [21:37] <@Gloop> YEAHH!
    My political, economic and personal blog: http://jazzcriminals.wordpress.com/
    My music blog: http://oneofuscannotbewrong.wordpress.com/
    Last edited by fridginators; 02-18-2011 at 05:57 AM.

man I remember the first few days of snowboarding and how rough it was

I killed my first man at twelve. I've lost count of how many I've killed since then. High lords with old names, fat rich men dressed in velvet, knights puffed up like bladders with their honours, yes, and women and children too - they're all meat, and I'm the butcher.
    Spoiler
    In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony godís blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.

hey man, just thought you'd appreciate the correct verb
    [21:36] <@SexehSeacow> Gloop is actually pretty funny
    [21:36] <@SexehSeacow> but sometimes he slips
    [21:36] <kuresuti_> right... it does not show up here in the irc
    [21:36] <@Gloop> [10:37] <@SexehSeacow> Gloop is actually pretty
    [21:37] <@Gloop> YEAHH!
    My political, economic and personal blog: http://jazzcriminals.wordpress.com/
    My music blog: http://oneofuscannotbewrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by fridginators View Post
    hey man, just thought you'd appreciate the correct verb
    I absolutely do it's confusing kinda because in Dutch we can correctly use the direct translation for "To Learn" in a context like that.

"Ik leer mijn broer gitaar spelen" literally means "I'm learning my brother to play guitar". Hence my silly mistake cheers to you!

don't put them on a big hill right away, they will fall and hit their head.

Works the same way in french, learn/teach = apprendre, which is the reason why so many people make that mistake ^^

on instinct he'll lean backwards when he's starting to ride, but to control the board he needs to put his weight on the front foot. beginners always tend to not do that cause it means you'll be going faster very quickly.
    When was the last time a commercial airline crashed? (besides 2001) Maybe 1968? Because what they didnt check the planes properly? There will be no Commercial Airline crashes because human error has been taken out of the equation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cows
    ^strong math skills
    100*225= 225 thousand

50 Point Level

Quote Originally Posted by wag-Half-Light View Post
    Works the same way in french, learn/teach = apprendre, which is the reason why so many people make that mistake ^^
    no, phag-half-wit, only phrench phaggots make that mistake

well uhm, to teach someone a turn you can stand right infront of him and hold hands (he's on a board and you are on foot, don't take a very steep hill either for obvious reason) than he makes a turn around you while you keep him standing with your hands. Thats sort of a way to get some feeling for it.

Please note that I do NOT snowboard, I ski - but I have seen people learn snowboarding:p

There are three ways of doing it AFAIK:

1) Take lifts all the way to the top, he won't have fun. He will have to look at the other boarders and try to learn a few things. (Spartan way)

2) No coaching, just going by trial and error. Or with friends telling him what to do. Normally this leads to alot of frustrations.. Keep in mind, you won't be able to board in the time you are helping him. Now you might think you don't care. But when it comes to it, most people want to board/ski for themselves within a couple of hours of coaching.

3) Get an instructor.. It may sound like a waste of money, or gay, or too much work or whatever for two young chaps ready to conquer the world.
    But the first week is always the hardest. Maybe go for one day of instructions. It will teach him how to get on the lifts, also a basic understanding of the board.

My recommendation would be to get him an instructor every second day, so you can ski/board together for some of the time.
    But; he will also improve alot faster. Just make sure you don't teach him stuff different than the instructor - they normally know their stuff

Quote Originally Posted by sharizard View Post
    no, phag-half-wit, only phrench phaggots make that mistake
    Do you really want to get into an argument concerning national levels of education, seeing as how you're from the US ? : D

I am a skier, was a ski instructor, but I learned how to snowboard too. I think the best advice is to keep your weight on your front foot (this is accomplished by keeping your hands forward). Use your back foot to steer the board and bend your knees to edge a turn.

Start on flat ground with the front foot in the binding and scoot around. Then walk up 20 feet on bunny hill and slide straight down with both feet in binding. Then steer down etc etc. Take it slow and build confidence before heading up the lift. Even a green can be overwhelming for someone new.

Biggest risk with snowboard noob is head injury and WRIST injury. Definately suggest a helmet, but also wrist guard to prevent wrist fracture.

50 Point Level

Hey snailburger, this is an A and B conversation, so why don't you c how much of a phaggot you are

Push him down the biggest slope you can find, that way you take a shortcut, forcing him to do the right thing right away instead of wasting time to teach him and shit.

"Life's a bitch and then you die, wroong! Life's a biiaatch and then you decide, to do something about it. Shit'll only drive you crazy if you allow it."

^+1 and get him asspads

I got discouraged big time from falling down and running into people...when friends go out I don't mind going with but I'll usually just hang in the bar/restaraunts..take pictures/videos. Its really exausting to keep pulling yourself up and falling down;;;plus being cold suxx0r.

I wouldn't mind going again if I could get a smaller area..less people to hit.

"Laming is just another word for playing good." - Grubby
    SystemShark Official Youtube - WCReplays Official Youtube

50 Point Level

falling doesnt hurt at all... you fall on SNOW

my skiing suite consisted of

1 thermal shirt - 15
    1 regular hoodie -15
    one thick waterproof coat - 10 (srs, shop around)

now for the bottoms

underwear- idk maybe like 10 for a pack of 6
    2 layers of waterproof pants, one is army issued and costs 40, but the other i got for 10 and it worked regular socks maybe double up if you have a vagina

also make sure your coat has a hood, and wear sunglasses during the day, and dont be a vagina...

all in USD

^ falling doesnt hurt and you wear sunglasses while snowboarding? lol
    When was the last time a commercial airline crashed? (besides 2001) Maybe 1968? Because what they didnt check the planes properly? There will be no Commercial Airline crashes because human error has been taken out of the equation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cows
    ^strong math skills
    100*225= 225 thousand

Post New Reply

Thread Information