Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Dexter Season 6, or... [SPOILERS]

*Spoilers below

Just finished the season. I don't have much of a problem with the unrealistic factors. They're pretty much necessary if you want to have a 5+ season drama show without getting boring as hell. In real life, if a serial killer like Dexter is going to stay safe for that many kills, he would need to choose his victims extremely carefully, which means the entire season 6 (and other seasons) would not have happened.

The show definitely doesn't have the same feel as it did before though. First off, I despise debra. I don't know if it's the actor or the character, but her mannerisms, language, and personality bug the hell out of me. The part about her being in love with Dexter was completely forced so that it would coincide with her seeing Dexter's dark side. There's no other reason for the writers to add in this awkward romance. We'll see how that plays out next season.

Also, now with Debra as lieutenant, the atmosphere of the police team seems ruined. I liked how they used to be a close team with Laguerta as the classic annoying boss, but a good leader. Now we don't see any of that closeness and the only interaction really is at the briefings. This also led to the new guy Anderson being severely underdeveloped. He had a nice introduction in the season but they went nowhere with it. He became just another body to fill the screen.

I also feel like Dexter is becoming more one dimensional. We used to see his struggles with fitting in and with his relationship with Rita, but now his entire character just revolves around finding the doomsday killer. The first few seasons of Dexter stood out from the crowd but now it's beocming like a standard crime-drama, with the twist that the protagonist kills the bad guys.

I also agree with others about the interns. Idk what was going on there. Not sure if the guy will be returning in later seasons, and I still don't understand the point of the ice truck killer's prosthetic arm. I laughed when Travis found the arm and was like "wtf?". Same thing I was thinking. Maybe the intern (i dont even know his name) knew the truth about Dexter, but why would they use him for a full season without revealing this? Ignoring what will happen next season, he was just a pointless character in this season.

Also want to point out that it's pretty boring without a character who is suspicious of Dexter (Doakes, Lundy, Quinn)

Overall, the season was pretty disappointing. I feel like they tried to give cheap thrills by devising these shocking tableaus, but ended up completely changed the show into a standard crime-drama.

BTW, it's funny that the actor who played Gellar was the teacher in the movie Stand and Deliver. I couldn't shake that off lol. I kept thinking "how do I reach these keeeeds"
    Last edited by Elven_Lord; 05-09-2012 at 03:00 AM.

Post New Reply

Thread Information