Post New Thread

Thread: How to Stream Warcraft 3 III

How to Stream Warcraft III

Purpose: I thought that some of you might be curious as to how, and I personally would like to see more streams for Warcraft III, so I decided to share my knowledge.

Prerequisites:
    You will need a good internet connection, good enough to stream and play without much lag. To stream without the video looking like crap during battles you will need base minimum 1024 kbps available for use for streaming (video and audio combined - 800 for video, 224 for audio, 800x600 res)

You will also need a decent computer, my personal specs are AND Tricore 3.0 processor, 4GB RAM, 64-bit windows.

To stream at an even better resolution you will need a better connection and a better computer.

Step 1. Register at justin.tv, download Adobe fme, and the config file
    http://www.justin.tv/p/fme
    Any other services are generally crappy, I would especially avoid using livestream

Step 2. Audio - You'll need stereo mix to capture game sounds, which is a whole set of problems in and of itself. Google it and see. If you have it, good. If you don't, try to find a solution yourself. If you want to capture game sounds and your microphone, you'll either need basically any sound card and mix it yourself, or an audio repeating program (what I use, specifically Audio Repeater)

Step 3. Video. Unlike Starcraft II Warcraft III does not have a functional full screen (windowed) mode. The closest you can get is to open Warcraft III with a -windowed parameter, but then your mouse can slide off the window when you are trying to scroll. Therefore many typical video capture programs which may or may not be bagged with various streaming services won't work for Warcraft III. I use SCFH, a free Japanese program that does the job well (in normal full screen mode). Follow the instructions here on how to install and use it. http://koitsu.wordpress.com/2009/09/...-use-scfh-dsf/ The program interface also has an English version. Once you install it IIRC and just click the setting for English and you're set.

To change your video output grid/ratio, click on layout in SCFH and drag to the desired output.
    Capture your entire desktop.

Step 4: Streaming
    Open up FME, load the config file you downloaded, set video capture to SCFH, open SCFH and choose FME from the scroll down list. Make the audio channel stereo 44100 hz or higher if you have it available, and bit rate to 224. I would suggest turning Auto Adjust on the right side of the interface and choose degrade quality, so that if it comes down to it fme will not take priority over your game lag.

That's it. Make sure to view others' streams too so everybody can have fun.

Places to publish your stream:
    play.gosugamers.com
    here

I will edit and try to answer any other questions you guys might have.

Side note: Using scroll lock programs is one solution to streaming with all the typical services, but your gamma settings will not take effect if you do so.
    Last edited by feRfe; 10-29-2011 at 04:56 PM.

You can stream in windowed mode for WC3 with or without making it full-screen just by using a simple mouse locker program.

I've attached one, basically all you have to do is run it and then right click on it's icon in the task-tray, select "Specify Window", click on WC3, then whenever you want to lock the mouse to WC3 hit the hotkey (Default F7) and when you want to unlock it, F7 again.

Good guide though, thanks!
    Attached Files

Think you could sticky this?

I dno, but when I stream its much more simple:

1. Open XSplit broadcaster --> choose which window(window mode for wc3) to broadcast (wc3)
    http://www.dota-utilities.com/2008/1...ows-mouse.html For mouse capture. [[The program pure linked]]
    2. Choose where to broadcast (livestream/justin/own3d/twitch)
    3. press broadcast --> everything works

Very easy to change stream resolution/quali, sounds/mic 1 click from main window. Very simple program, used by many pros.

Don't you have to pay for XSplit?
    Nitix #1

XSplit also lags from what I hear.

XSplit is free and the delay ingame is just the same as every other streaming program. I can play ladder @ northrend with stream running with very good quality with 0,5-1,5sec delay (varying daily)

Rain how can i know u are streaming your games ?( ladder our tours/leagues)

Quote Originally Posted by Born2BeKilled View Post
    XSplit is free and the delay ingame is just the same as every other streaming program. I can play ladder @ northrend with stream running with very good quality with 0,5-1,5sec delay (varying daily)
    I'll give it a try!
    Nitix #1

Quote Originally Posted by LayDown View Post
    Rain how can i know u are streaming your games ?( ladder our tours/leagues)
    Im not sure, but I think you can 'subscribe' or smth to the livestream channel, and then you'll probably get a notification every time it goes live.

Atleast thats I suppose it works, since everytime I go online it goes from 0 to like 15-25 in under 30min, w/o me doing any announcement.

Anyway, I'll probably stream 3v3 bnet tourwin today, or atleast some cw games(4cws today)

So how does a player stream their zotac matches live? Like where do they go and whom do they contact to get all that setup so viewers can go to the wc3 section of zotac during the cup and see the stream link for player xx?

I'm going to necro this because I'm interested in streaming yet think it's completely retarded you have to play windowed with a mouse lock to stream the game

Anybody know of another program besides OBS that can capture WC3 in full screen? I really don't want to resort to playing in windowed mode that is trash =/

What's wrong with OBS? I'd use dxtory + OBS myself.

OBS is imo the best software atm, super easy to use, no quali restrictions, easy on pc

I think you can stream fullscreen without UI bugs with XSplit (not sure though).

However you can easily make wc3 windowed look and feel just the same as fullscreen (except you can alt tab to other windows quicker with wc3 in the background).

options to do so:
    • http://dotautilities-forums.net/Thre...aft-III-Runner
    • http://www.dota-utilities.com/2009/1...y-hotkeys.html
    • if you use warkeys anyway: add this to User Code and u can toggle fullscreen/windowed with F12 if you start wc3 in windowed
      Code:
      F12::
      WinGet, TempWindowID, ID, A
      If (WindowID != TempWindowID)
      {
        WindowID:=TempWindowID
        WindowState:=0
      }
      If (WindowState != 1)
      {
        WinGetPos, WinPosX, WinPosY, WindowWidth, WindowHeight, ahk_id %WindowID%
        WinSet, Style, ^0xC40000, ahk_id %WindowID%
        WinMove, ahk_id %WindowID%, , 0, 0, A_ScreenWidth, A_ScreenHeight
      }
      Else
      {
        WinSet, Style, ^0xC40000, ahk_id %WindowID%
        WinMove, ahk_id %WindowID%, , WinPosX, WinPosY, WindowWidth, WindowHeight
      }
      WindowState:=!WindowState
      return

Only things that are problematic is when you want to run w3 in a different resolution than your monitor's native is or when you have a multi monitor setup (although the last one might be solved by additionally using a mouse capturer).

Post New Reply

Thread Information