Post New Thread

Thread: What do you guys think about dota 2

1000 Point Level

What do you guys think about dota 2

I'm gonna be getting a new computer soon and am trying to pick some new games up. What do you guys think of dota 2? In relation to dota 1? In relation to HON/LoL? Is the player base big and growing? Or diminishing? Does it seem promising as an esport? Does it seem to take a good amount of skill to play at high level (don't compare to sc1 or war3 as its diff genre and arguably on a different level.. rather compare it to dota)?

Thanks so much. Try to keep flaming of other games down but obviously feel free to compare and say what is needed for this.
    The ones in the CIA

oh look its this hacker again!

j/k welcome back dota2 is awesome

Dota2 is the most well made ARTS yet and it's still in closed beta so we don't see the numbers growing too much just yet but it is growing, once released I suspect big numbers and definitely number 1 game on Steam as it's already close to it right now. The competetive scene is flourishing with tournaments going on just about every day and it's a very fun "eSport" to watch (imo) when you know about the game.

It takes a good amount of individual skill along with the skill of being able to work as a team.

It's good if you have friends to play with otherwise you get 0:13 feeders that ruin your game.

holy shit 13 second feeders. :XXXX

1500 Point Level LowKeyLyesmith's Avatar

I think it`s a good game.

Fun game, lots of potential. You can actually feel that the game becomes nicer and nicer.

Still quite a lot of things that need to be changed (matchmaking) or implemented (heroes, ff, game modes, etc) but definitely playable right now.

In terms of e-sports development, the scene is very volatile, with very good new teams sprouting over night. In light of The Invitational 2, a couple of chinese teams already ported to Dota 2. It will take some time though till the transition will be complete - I think that will be the point when the game blows up, comparable with the game exiting beta status.
    20:52 Cows-go-moo: search us east too
    20:52 Cows-go-moo: like tears of americans
    20:52 Cows-go-moo: when they lose

All the MOBAs are skill-intensive games - that's the nature they are. Good players will make a big difference.

I dislike DotA 2's graphics, but it has a lot of strengths. In particular the most appealing two for me are: 1) gankers have it a lot easier since there're not only more ganking items like Urn of Shadows, they have reliable and unreliable gold, and 2) it's not SEA restricted.

The biggest drawback of DotA 2 for me is I don't have nearly as wide a social circle in it as compared to HoN. While I can log on HoN any day and get good matches, in DotA 2 all I get are low-quality pubs. It's good in a way since I'm unfamiliar with the DotA 2 interface, skills, etc, but it's also a little distressing in the way you can walk up to someone and chain nuke them to the ground with Lina. This social problem undoubtedly improves with more DotA 2 games played, but just like LoL's having to grind level 30 I don't feel like playing that much.

LoL is the easiest of the three games in the sense that it punishes you the least for making mistakes, but it just feels totally different. All heroes being viable late-game for example makes for a big break with DotA, and a totally different game. I'd suggest playing it if you're new, but I personally find DotA 2 / HoN more intense and fun. Having to grind to level 30 is annoying as well, and as with DotA 2 I don't have anywhere near the social circle to play LoL nicely + last I saw you could gain IP fastest by playing against AI. Still LoL is apparently the most popular game of them all, so whatever floats your boat.

Post New Reply

Thread Information