Post New Thread

Thread: Dota trivia

Dota trivia

I'm seriously thinking about making a dota trivia app.

I've seen the "trivia" kige linked, really don't like this kind of "what is the item cost of" and "what is the cd of". I've also seen the in game quiz, where you combine the items but that gets lame really quickly.

I've been planning to do one for WCR's amusement, hosted on some quiz site. However, it is like I've suspected, these sites are really inflexible, and it wouldn't come as I'd like.

For example, say I ask Which heroes can’t use Blink Dagger?. There are two answers, Pudge and Venge, and I want answers like Vengeful Spirit, VengefulSpirit, Butcher to count as well.

I actually thought at some point about developing a quite complex framework for quizez and such, but that is a big project. And then it struck me, I have like 3 good friends working on Android, 1 on iOS, and I'm a programmer myself; in the end, I could just do it myself although I've never developed something like this. Such an app would be about the easiest game to make.

I think there would be plenty of people interested in this, if the questions are interesting - and there's tons of stuff you can come up with. I think this kind of games can be catchy, as long as there's enough interesting content.

For example, Logo quiz is something similar, and it was a big success (I think now it's #35 top free game on Google Play, but I think it's quite old by now): tens of millions of downloads and 4.6/5 rating. Obviously, the target audience is much, much larger but it tells about people tasting this kind of simple yet nice apps.

I don't know about copyright issues, but I believe that as long as you don't use Valve material like pictures and such it should be ok. I will email them soon regarding this.

I don't know if you can charge $1 for it; I know for sure I would pay 1$ for this, I can only guess what others would do. What do you think? Do you think enough people would be interested? Do you think it would only work if it's free? Your feedback would really help me here.

PS: The types of questions I'm looking for is the stuff that makes you "aaah I should know this; damnit, what was it, I know I got it!" and not going "well that was dumb " after seeing the answer. Or, after finding the answer, at least you've learnt something actually useful. Samples:

Spoiler

Old Naix had x,y,z, and ... ? - "ooooh shiiiit, old naix, damn, those were the times, what was it again"
    What's the maximum movespeed? - questions for everyone
    Who took 3rd place at TI1? - trickier scene trivia, "hmm I know Na'Vi got 1st, EHOME 2nd... but 3rd hmm"
    True/False: Counter Helix gets triggered regardless of Evasion - "hah, I got this, I know Axe triggers on targeting alone so it shouldn't care about evasion"
    Name X/6 items not affected by Rearm - "grrr what was the other one come oooon"
    What is Tinker’s name? - "holy crap. eeerm."
    What hero has the fastest turn rate in the game? - "oh wow, didn't know this one... that's... OP?"
    20:52 Cows-go-moo: search us east too
    20:52 Cows-go-moo: like tears of americans
    20:52 Cows-go-moo: when they lose

There used to be a good IRC bot with good Dota trivia, was fun for a while battling against a lot of other folks, fastest answer won and got points. The questions were mostly good ones I remember.

Yeah, I remember one in WC, in clan TDA I think, that was also good.
    20:52 Cows-go-moo: search us east too
    20:52 Cows-go-moo: like tears of americans
    20:52 Cows-go-moo: when they lose

You could work with the guys who put together the super-hard trivia that Kige linked to a while ago.

Only real problem imo is that with these kind of games you'll eventually run through all the questions and then it's game over.

Learning spell damage, cooldowns and costs is pretty important. But I agree with you, it is pretty boring.

Post New Reply

Thread Information