Post New Thread

Thread: Why do noobs always accuse of maphack?

25 Point Level

Why do noobs always accuse of maphack?

Seems like almost every game people blame their losses on maphack. Why can't people just man up and admit they suck?

Replay attached.
    Attached Files

if you have no life, only way to have any self value and feel good about yourself is to do good at games, so when you dont it hurts alot, but if theres a good reason ( maphack, didnt train, "im just inactive" etc. ) its bearable

Out of here!

Some cry MH because on B.Net in it's current form, there are a lot of players that use MH. I'd go so far as to say a solid 30%. Probably higher, but they mask it well. When a player loses handily, a knee jerk reaction is to blame an ugly current trend in the game.

Add that to how the majority of players (and the vast sweeping majority of people in today's society) don't see losing as an actual good thing. It's the only way players truly improve. Go back, watch your losses, and build walls around that happening again.

Instead, most presume a loss is from MH, vent on chat before quitting, and don't bother self-improvement.

It's not 'omg that guy was so noob crying MH'. It's current society.

Accounts Coordinator
    Mad-eye

When I played, I got accused of hacking a lot. People just get frustrated and they have a hard time putting themselves in their opponent's shoes and realizing that even mediocre players who have played enough games and watch enough replays can predict where you are creeping, what you are getting, or where you are expanding. Or, they can get lucky. And maybe they scouted one thing that showed you didn't go somewhere, didn't tech, didn't get something, so they inferred where you were/what you were doing without seeing it.

So they get frustrated and don't think. Then sometimes there really are hackers, so they get even more frustrated and think even less because past experience has already made them come to expect it somewhat.

And disclaimer, I was bad by any amateur standards, but people tend to overestimate how good they are and underestimate how good their opponent is in relation to them. Over time, I think they begin to think more people are hacking than there actually are to account for a number of their disappointing losses. Thus, they might really face a hacker 1 in 10 times, but they believe it's 1 in 4 or 1 in 5, and so they are more likely to accuse others of hacking because in their mind, it's statistically not too unlikely.

Note, I'm just using those numbers as examples. No idea how many people hack these days, but 2012 and before, it was definitely less than 1/4 in solo on East and Europe, but you would see people saying it was half.

^ because it probably is half.

People indeed get frustrated with losing and the easy way is accuse of hacking. As this would simply indicate that they can still be perfect at the game; losing in an unfair fight doesn't suck as much as losing in a fair fight. They basically defend their own delusion of skill with it.

The creeping thing I encounter is, people will accuse of hacking due to the weirdest things. E.g. I have been accused of hacking because I got creepjacked by HIM and he lost. Someone kills my wisp at a creepcamp, goes creep it and also cries maphack. Me defending an upcoming expo by just standing there: maphack. Knowing he is militia creeping because he has onlhy 3 woodpeasants at his base: maphack. Hear windwalk; maphack. Laberatory reveal: maphack. Seeing he is not at poing a + b so assume he is at c and anticipate on that: maphack. Level 6 hero: maphack. Seeing no tech so check expos with army: maphack.

They seem to always fail to bring up a reason for the accusation. If they do, it is often incredibly poor. Back when I had my logitech keyboard I could easily have my screen on the selection of the player in a game; you don't want to know how many maphackers have accused me of hacking. There have been so many games people hacked and I did not even notice in the game. These silently do contribute up to the 50%.

800 Point Level

You already gave the answer to your question in your question.
    Last edited by Mox Sapphire; 01-04-2015 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Maybe send me a pm instead of cluttering the board.

Many people start with "this guy sucks he will be easy win" then when you get creep jacked or countered you think "he isn't good enough to have done that through skill, so obviously he is map hacking." In reality, it's really easy to be creep jacked or countered, and it's often done by blind luck as well. In order to even begin to have evidence someone is hacking you almost certainly need to see suspicious play over several games, and then you have to consider: is he just better than you thought? Because, IMO it's more likely you underestimated someone rather than they hacked.

Maybe I suffer from the opposite problem of seeing hackers everywhere, but, it is exceedingly rare for me to play against someone who I think is hacking. Further, especially recently, I get called a map hacker quite a bit. It's usually because of creep jacks, especially after I force a TP. But, if you think about it, figuring out where someone is going to creep after you force a TP is really, really easy. You can do it with such a high percentage as long as you 1: paid attention to their items (or scouted to know where they have already crept) and 2: paid attention to where you forced them to TP from. The further away you were from his base when he TP'd the safer he will feel, and so he will be willing to extend more (which means go for a creep that sets him close to his next creeping spot). If his army was severely damaged they will go for an easier creep or a creep they can safely pull and fight (ideally they want to stay close to their base). If you know where he already crept then the amount of places they could creep are usually numbered on one hand, and, with any amount of scouting on the map after that it becomes almost 99% you know where they are.

In the words of day9, what often tells you the most important information is what you don't see. A scout that looks random may have just told you that your opponent is not on the left side of the map, which is hugely important to know. But your opponent would never have even seen that scout, so if you constantly get creep jacks while always scouting in places he isn't (which is more likely than always scouting in places he is) - he will often think you are map hacking, and accuse you of not scouting. Almost everyone does these things because they are so simple and intuitive, but, fewer do them consciously and I think that's why so many people see maphackers everywhere. They overestimate the probability of them not being scouted and they usually underestimate the skill of their opponent.

But maybe I'm wrong, that's just my opinion.

edit: I should have read the thread first, could have just qft'd WPA's post :P

200 Point Level

I probably point out that my opponent is hacking in one out of twenty games, when it is really suspicious, but sometimes I think it might actually be a higher number of hackers and some of them are just hiding it well.

I dont think i ever lost to a maphacker. They all just suck so bad, its not like you are facing grubby or lucifer or something, just crush them easy with strong mid game force

That account is hacked for many years already. I never play RT, and this guy only has RT and with archmage too.. : / pathetic.

I in general havent faced that many maphackers, sure its big words to say "never ever" as sometimes even if you lose to what seems a normal person who knows what if that was a hacker. My point is, any hacker which I known 100% is a maphacker I've beaten easily. My playstyle of no footmen and tech very easily detects maphackers, because you do alot of outside of vision things, things which are impossible to predict. So If i'd get caught twice in impossible to get caught places I would just switch playstyle fully and win, cuz really they just so BAD SO FUCKING BAD. All they know how to do is "creepjack you" but its irrelevant if you get too strong.

Impossible would be something like blademaster randomly dusting you in the middle of the map out of nowhere when you are walking invisible ( no ward drops ) or like a bat appearing out of nowhere to a rushed zeppelin, you know whatever things like that.

because assuming is easier

I've been accused many times of maphacking when I creepjack...but usually I'm just using simple deductive reasoning. There are only so many places to creep at certain stages of the game, and if I scout that he hasn't been to one place, I can only assume that he went to another viable place. Doesn't really take a rocket scientist to figure it out, just knowledge of common creep patterns and adequate scouting.

But I will admit that this concept would seem foreign to me over 10 years ago.

i personally like it when you clearly see them on the edge of the minimap with say a peasant, and then they ask how you know they had an expo there 2 mins later. Then refuse to believe you when you say you saw the peasant.

But ye, most people dont like to admit they suck. Easier to blame hax.

@Glaive
    Lucky bastard. I get accused of MH when they creepjack me!

@Bigheaded
    Yeah, that happens a lot. Only last week some human player accused me on maphacking because I detonated a wisp which he attacked with some footmen. He simply couldn't understand the response time of seeing it on the minimap + detonating it can outspeed the footmen's attack.

Just watched the replay, and I have no idea how he came to the conclusion of maphack.

If anything, I'd say it was more likely HE was hacking...lol. (not saying he was)

Probably because most people do maphack, duh.

Post New Reply

Thread Information