Post New Thread

Thread: For those that use the HBO Go app/smart tv

For those that use the HBO Go app/smart tv

Basically my issue is this: I've had quite an upgrade for my internet the past few months. It has an unlimited usage cap (previously only had 5gb monthly limit) and the speed is 3.0 mbs/or w/e. It isn't really fast, but its fast enough to stream netflix, hulu, vudu, ect. It usually first streams in sd, then because all those are auto resolution, eventually hd resolution after a minute or two.

Now, it is also fast enough to stream hbo go on my xbox 360 and on my smart phone. Now, at first, it could always stream hbo go on our samsung smart tv, but lately, even on 2 different separate routers, it struggles to keep up and buffers a lot. It is fine if we pause it for like 10-20 minutes then press play, but that is very annoying. I think the issue is, on our samsung smart tv, it ALWAYS streams in hd 5.1 and never gives us the option of streaming in sd or anything lower, which is different than my smart phone or xbox 360, which is auto resolution and usually streams in sd, give or take.

I guess my question is, do any of you know of some issue with the samsung smart tv's or some apps in general on w/e devices that always stream in hd and is there some way to make it so I could stream in a lower quality so my internet keeps up? I looked in settings on hbogo on a computer and my tv and see no change for lower quality streaming and my router has a pretty good signal to boot to all my devices so I don't think that is an issue as well. Also, all the other apps on the smart tv have auto resolution streaming or at least give us the option of streaming in lower quality.

I just want to know why my smart phone/360 can stream hbogo fine in lower resolutions but my samsung smart tv only streams in 5.1 hd. It is a big issue to me and annoying because we mainly watch stuff on this smart tv, which we've only really utilized since we've had this unlimited usage internet. I've hooked up my laptop to the tv and I don't really want to do that when we want to stream hbo every time.

Any ideas or help? You can delete this thread when/if there is a resolution.

Post New Reply

Thread Information