Post New Thread

Thread: Are there any must-have SNES games?

Are there any must-have SNES games?

Got a newer place while we are finishing up school and we have an extra room where I put my gaming PC, and there is a futon/couch and so I'm gonna buy an old CRT tv to be able to play old console games, it will be like a cool gaming room. I'm bringing my SNES/N64/GC/Wii/Sega/PS1 from my parents house, and am pretty stoked, as I haven't had a TV to play those sort of games since before 2009. I even looked through a giant stack of old Nintendo Power/PC Gamer magazines my grandma would get me while I was in elementry school and early middle school, and pulled out all the posters so I can put things on the wall (one of the walls is already covered in maps from the national parks my wife and I have visited, looks pretty cool). One of the posters is even of War3 Reign of Chaos that looks awesome. I'll take a picture of them later and upload then, they're pretty retro.

Anyway, to get off the rant, I noticed my SNES collection is quite bare, and I could use 3-4 more games to round it off. I have what I consider are the 3 best SNES games, Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3, and Super Mario World. I am for sure getting Donkey Kong Country 1 just for completion purposes (and the game is quite fun), but I'm at a loss as to what other games would be fun for me. Keep in mind I do not have any nostalgia factors for SNES games as I was too little so I only extremely occasionally played them at friends houses (I found mine on the side of a road for free during high school and got my games used off of EBay). The games I'm considering most are: Super Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG, Yoshis Island, Kirby Superstar, and Super Mario Allstars. People talk about games like Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana like they are amazing games, but my belief is that is just the nostalgia talking and if someone like me, who appreciates good games, were to play it now, it just wouldn't be good or enjoyable/engaging at all. However I have no idea as I haven't played them. What would you guys recommend I should get, a game that would be fun even without nostalgia (ie Super Mario World, Diablo 1-2, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart 64, Banjo Kazooie, these games are fun regardless, while a game like Goldeneye was super amazing when it came out but is now not).

(don't know why there is an explanation point on the thread, wrote it on my phone—says no icon selected)
    Last edited by Shadotwist; 10-19-2015 at 06:08 PM.

I had fun with one of the mega man games. I also liked Perfect Dark for n64. But honestly nostalgia lies. It's best to keep these experience in your mind how it is. You're going to get frustrated at things these games are "missing".

Chrono Trigger and FF6/3 are still amazing playthroughs.

200 Point Level

Yoshi's island is must for SNES. Game is easily in top3 with DKC games.

300 Point Level

Super Mario RPG for sure!

Chronotrigger, earthbound, list goes on and on...

Chrono Trigger has a lot of replay value, I liked it even better than FF3, which is also a must. You would seriously be doing yourself a misfavor if you don't play either of those games. Secret of Mana I never played. Earthbound was good, but I could only play it on MAME so I could speed it up. Killer Instinct was a lot of fun. Mortal Kombat was also fun, and Street Fighter Alpha (2?). Link to the Past is probably the best game for SNES, you are an idiot if you don't want to play that. Tetris Attack was addicting and was the only reason to keep my SNES out for years after the N64 was released. There's the Mega Man X series, which were good. Also, don't forget about Super Metroid, that game was the shit. Turtles IV is a fun two player game.

Don't assume some games are only good because "nostalgia", they were massively successful on a commercial scale and had staying power. Almost all of the games I listed are still fun to play with the exception of the fighting games (they are good to play through once or twice, but then you get bored faster than with the others).

Staff Director
    Venti Double Double

Super Metroid.

Accounts Coordinator
    Mad-eye

I never played Chrono Trigger back in the day and I played it 2 or 3 years ago and I can attest it is really fun.

Super Star Wars and Mega Man X

1500 Point Level LowKeyLyesmith's Avatar

Games that have aged relatively well in no particular order:

1. Super Metroid
    2. Super Castlevania IV
    3. Chrono Trigger
    4. Super Mario World
    5. Donkey Kong Country
    6. Mega Man X
    7. Super Mario Allstars
    8. Street Fighter 2: Turbo
    9. Kirby's Dream Land 3
    10. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    11. Secret of Mana

Stuff like Star Fox, while a great game, just looks like shit nowadays and if you're able to sit through the endless grinding I might add Earthbound to the list.
    I just feel those 2 games in particular haven't aged that well.

Shit like Mega Man X, Zelda and Super Metroid are fucking timeless though.
    Mega Man X has the most well-designed tutorial stage ever made even by todays standards and Zelda and Metroid don't need any introductions.
    These games are as fun now as they were when they came out.

Edit: Ocarina of Time looks and plays like a piece of shit compared to A Link to the Past by the way even though the former is "newer".
    Last edited by LowKeyLyesmith; 10-20-2015 at 01:40 AM.

Gonna chime in on Chrono Trigger. It definitely was on it's own tier and ahead of it's time. Pacing, Music, story. Everything is great.
    Unsure on the naming in the US, but its either Super Contra or Super Probotector. It's hands down the best platform shooter on the SNES, and it's best to play with a friend. Be warned though, it's "Nintendo-hard".

Thanks for the suggestions. It seems like there is a general consensus that Chronotrigger is a must. I think I'll get DKC 1, Chronotrigger, Link to the Past, and Yoshis Island for now, and maybe upgrade my collection later. This may seem weird but when I have kids in the next few years I would much rather them just occasionally play some of this old stuff rather than allow them to play games on iPads and junk. Hate watching 3 year old kids on a couch swiping at a little screen 3 inches away from their face.

Damn Chronotrigger is expensive.

Games that come to mind, though are probably not as good as I remember them:

FF4, FF6 (FF6 is still pretty good)
    Chrono Trigger
    Legend of Zelda - Link to the Past

I hear a lot of good things about Earthbound and Secret of Mana, but I've never touched them. I remembered the SNES more for its action titles than anything else, with games like Starfox, Pilotwings, Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat 1-3, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Killer Instinct...etc.

I wouldn't say SNES had a lot of must-play titles, but it was groundbreaking for its time.

But yeah...there's emulators.

Post New Reply

Thread Information