Post New Thread

Thread: Orc Control Groups.

Orc Control Groups.

One of my friends told me that to truely master Orc, one must not rely on control groups. I considered his advice and it does make sense. Most Orc strategies involve getting melee units such as grunts, raiders, taurens, etc. However other races have the more commonly used ranged units such as riflemen, fiends, archers, huntresses (for our intentions, huntresses are considered ranged) etc. So if one has 10 grunts and 2 heros in group 1, and right click on an enemy unit, maybe a couple grunts can reach the enemy quickly, while others have to travel around other enemy units without doing any damage for some time. This obviously brings the Orc some disadvantage. Therefore, an Orc user must not rely on control groups. Maybe less units per group would solve the problem.

Does anyone see this? If anyone knows how to get around this, feel free to help me. Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

attack + move 4 teh win

Well I am no master at orc but I don't rely on control groups. Only time I use control groups is to move. Or if I want to quickly ensare a unit. In a battle I micro each and every single unit individually for the most part. I watch the battle (not my control groups). If I see 3 grunts around a unit, then I select those 3 units and tell it to attack the one unit. When I need to devour, I select my kodos one by one to make sure each kodo has eaten something. I press alt all the time. So I will run my grunts back individually when they get weak.

Maybe that doesn't make sense. Watch my vod if u are unclear.

ya when i play i jus attack move in then hold alt and sorta work things out from there.. jus use heros spells when i can and try and have units nnext to weak ones take em out

Thanks KoGs! Your comment helped alot, I think what you said is very valid for Orc. Microing individual units for Orc is more important because of high resource costs (less units). However, for NE as an example, control groups are needed in battle for proper focus firing because there are more units (less food per unit for NE) and mostly ranged. I recently switched from NE to Orc so I just wanted to ask about the control groups. Thanks everyone.

Post New Reply

Thread Information