WCReplays.com Community Forums

Go Back   WCReplays.com Community Forums > Warcraft Forums > Warcraft III Strategy

Unread 06-07-2005, 03:16 PM   #21
CODEleatherFACE
Peon

Against NE I really think mortars are very important. With exploding shell upgrade. also getting knights breakers priest etc, is really effective, although adding 3-4 grpyhons will only strengthen your army.
CODEleatherFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2005, 04:27 PM   #22
Gladiator
Site Spammer

as an NE, i find gryphs to be a pain in the ass. the problem is that a normal human army with 2 gryphons is a PAIN because those 2 gryphons will cause a LOT of damage, and with holy light are very hard to kill- and with staff of sanctuary, you won't ever kill them, just make them leave the battlefield. and to have enough units to kill them, you need to significantly reduce your bear count.
King Shadow IC (6:49:59 PM): Stop leaving DotA games to make out with your sister, geez man.
King Shadow IC (7:39:14 PM): Moo.
King Shadow IC (7:27:33 PM): You fail.
King Shadow IC (7:27:52 PM): Please die.
King Shadow IC (7:29:46 PM): You're newb.
King Shadow IC (8:30:35 PM): Moo.
Gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2005, 09:22 PM   #23
cloakghost
Peon

Send a message via MSN to cloakghost

If they don't have dryads, why not mass casters and knights? You get meat shields for the casters and decent damage output combined with healing, slow, innerfire, polymorph and you can focus the casters attack seeing as how heavy armour takes extra damage from magic.

I say you should have some rifles ready seeing as how the NE might start pumping out dryads.
cloakghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2005, 09:35 PM   #24
mofos
300 Point Level

my thoughs on this is get seige... a few knights and ghys + motors my personal exp wit ne is that i go seige wit knights n ghys = pwned the ne i dun know how or wat happen but when i use seige i use attk ground which is AOE so if u can take like half n sec n aim at a spot where it can effect bears n dyrads it will destroy both... n wit dyrads gone ghys r ez to own bears
mofos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2005, 10:29 AM   #25
Mordox
100 Point Level

Send a message via MSN to Mordox

Mortor owns dryads yes, but they arnt NE's only solution to air, just one of about 4. Hippos are pretty damn good, if they get 5 or 6 then anything you have in the air is wasted unless your quick with shackles and lag doesnt kill you Its just too hard to make gryphons work vs better NE players because they will pick the anti-air that you will have the most trouble countering...

As for bears, gryphons are good but I think that using sorcs and clap vs bears really owns them, they are worthless when dazed AND slowed, even if they have roar. Besides, with humans it is best to have long battles no matter what, with better mana regen from the AM, healing, slow, invis red units (which a preist can still heal while invis'd) a long battle is a good one.

Save gryphons for orcs, orcs REALLY have problems with gryphons and dragonhawks
Mordox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2005, 05:50 PM   #26
NethioX
500 Point Level

Gryphon Riders arent a good choice to go against NE because they cost too much for their actual worth in battle against Bear/Drayd/Archer army. Against Orc, they are definately worth their cost, but against NE you can't just hope to win using a direct counter to bears, you have to mix 56 different units in the right quantities, and micro each individual unit perfectly to have even chances =)

<3 You all WCReplays.com
My Acc
My active acc
NethioX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2005, 06:07 PM   #27
IEATBABIES
Replay Submitter

I do gryphs all the time on fast expo maps, it works great. Knights beat dryads and hippos can be defeated with good micro.
But you can't do it out of one mine. It's not cost effective.
IEATBABIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2005, 05:33 PM   #28
MainMan
Peon

Default u gotta be kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xequecal
Mass gryphons is bad because Human heroes are too vulnerable. Without units to block, you can not get away from a DH and Naga with boots of speed. The 270 speed MK will die in under five seconds. Or they just go solo DH, and meta solos all your gryphons and your heroes by itself.

Human Heroes are not at all as vulnerable as u think they are.a well made MK can easily outrun/stun and run away from NE heroes(and u can dispel entanglements with priests),an AM can run away as well.a BM will face problems but a pally can just turn on divine shield.By the time gryphons come,ur hero will normally be level 5+.and besides,u can easily nuke NE heroes with gryphons.The answer to why it is inadvisable to go mass gryphons against NE but not orc is that orcs dont have melee anti air and mass batriders can be killed w/the storm hammer upgrade.Also,the orcs dont have a ground unit that can target air,is immune to magic and has piercing damage with slow poison,which basically means that they dont have dryads,lol.
MainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2005, 04:34 AM   #29
YouKi
600 Point Level

Send a message via MSN to YouKi

if ne goes hunt tech to bear it would be nice to mass gyp well if he gets drayd or anti air rifie or dragonhawkrider would be nice

United! 11
YouKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2005, 05:24 AM   #30
Vegnagun[HrdE]
75 Point Level

Send a message via AIM to Vegnagun[HrdE] Send a message via MSN to Vegnagun[HrdE]

i dont understand why people would go mass gryphs against ne.. i can see them doing it as a last resort but not doing it knowing that they have dryads...
Vegnagun[HrdE] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2005, 03:43 PM   #31
bloodmage16
25 Point Level

I did go NAGA + fast tech + some casters (mainly 2 sorc or so) and then mass air and indeed I did get a major gold advantage, I had 3 gold mines running and he just 1 ........ and I lost in the end of the game (20 minutes) 14000 gold 2 high upkeep and u see that's it fairly expensive 2 counter bears like that and the dryads I still owned....and didt do very much vs my mass air but it's indeed the goldpart thats hard....u need a player that didnt spot your expantion.....I got that expand right after I killed his hero (with the naga and slow its duable to just kill him and dont let him run) well naga is pretty vurnable vs DH 2 but just micro :P and hit and run and tp alot
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
bloodmage16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2005, 03:48 PM   #32
bloodmage16
25 Point Level

but like I stated earlier I find NE imba with bears.....caus only way 2 win almost is have a gold advantage......only inso can win vs bears strat without gold advantage by just microing like hell and use invis a lot ..... I find inso also microing a lot better then the NE guy and saving a lot more units and just barely wins the match.....it keeps difficult and the blizzard + bolt + slow + rifles is very hard to micro good .....and dont lose your low hp units fast....
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
bloodmage16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2005, 05:08 PM   #33
MikauZora
100 Point Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy_Saber
many reasons
hippos
dyrads
archers
crow form dotts
why go mass air vs a race that has mass peircing?
yeah, but orc goes mass wind raiders against elf, human goes mass gyros, and ud goes mass gargs. so what?
MikauZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2005, 11:08 PM   #34
Mordox
100 Point Level

Send a message via MSN to Mordox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmage16
but like I stated earlier I find NE imba with bears.....caus only way 2 win almost is have a gold advantage......only inso can win vs bears strat without gold advantage by just microing like hell and use invis a lot ..... I find inso also microing a lot better then the NE guy and saving a lot more units and just barely wins the match.....it keeps difficult and the blizzard + bolt + slow + rifles is very hard to micro good .....and dont lose your low hp units fast....
Have to agree with that, bears are very powerfull and riduculus to beat when they have dual staffs of preservation. I think the best solution I have for bears/dryads are rifles/casters, MK-bolt/clap Am-Blizzard retrain, a few footies help too, just for meat. You have to spam out slow to all the bears untill the dryads run out of mana, then clap right in the middle of the bears and blizzard on that. Bears are almost worthless when slowed and clapped. As well as that you need to micro your rifles vs their dryads without getting them killed by bears AND deal with their heros. Even tho you need to out-micro them this is a way better solution to the normal dryads/bears strat that humans get vs NE. Gryphons are just not worth it, ever.
Mordox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2005, 11:33 PM   #35
Macyui
100 Point Level

gryphons are great to cause them to make a counter (more dryads vs bear or hypos) which u can suprise counter their counter and gain advantage....but i usually try and end the game before this needs to happen unless its a map like GW or LT
Macyui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2005, 01:15 AM   #36
LighticeMage
Out of here!

Just dont get gryphons just pawn those bears with rifle/caster/morts and healing scrolls
LighticeMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2005, 08:26 PM   #37
joonkimdds
Peon

Default GRYPH owns NE.

people don't use gryph becuz either they r noob or don't know how good gryphs are.
gryph does exactly 82 damage per hit against bear. 3~5 gryph will finish 10 bears less than 20 sec. The ONE and ONLY way the NE can kill gryph is using dryids, but then u use rifles(not knights) to fight him
so...the best tactics against DH, Panda, Bears, Dryid should be
AM, MK, 3~5Gryph, rifles, 3:3:4casters(sorcs,priests,Breaker).
NEVER use Knights, some ppl say knights r good against bear, but hack no!
just becuz bear and knights r both tier3 super melee units, doesn't mean knights r good. even if it means casters help him from the back, and u have super micro, it won't be good. it will be more like suicide. there r couple of reasons for it.
1) human tier3 is late compared to NE tier3, therefore number of units different.
2) even if u have exact about of knights and bear, it will be draw, but in terms of heros, NE will own.
3) there is a exact moment when NE players usually attack human's base, even 1 gryph can scare NE and make them run away and then make them come back after 5 min with dryad, by that time, u will be ready for them.
joonkimdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2005, 09:32 PM   #38
IC.Shadow
Cool Like Magess

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonkimdds
gryph does exactly 82 damage per hit against bear.
No....

Gryphons' attack damage varies, just like every other unit. You cannot possibly calculate the exact amount of damage any unit does to another on every single hit. And with full upgrades, Gryphons do far more than 82 damage to Bears' heavy armour, so you basically just made that statistic up with no backing whatsoever.

Now, none of that changes the fact that Gryphons are obviously very good against Bears, but the problem arises when the NE player makes Dryads, Faerie Dragons, DoTTs in Crow Form, or an Archer/Hippogryph combo. Then Gryphons are terrible.

MMARising.com | News | Articles | Interviews | Rankings
IC.Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2005, 09:39 PM   #39
Gladiator
Site Spammer

if i were making gryphons (and i played human for a while) i would never get more than 3. they're very good if there's just a few. Why?
1: They still do enough damage to counter the NE's bears pretty sufficiently for the gryph's worth
2: Most of their counters require a lot of the units. For example, 6 dryads will do nothing to 3 gryphs. The gryphons will simply ignore the dryads and focus on the bears, and a pally will heal the gryphons. Likewise, 6 hippogryphs will get slowed and focused on with WE's, rifles, sorcs, heros, etc.
3: With upgrades, pally, and even inner fire/scroll of protection, they will be very hard to kill
4: You should always have triple hero (am/mk/pally) with triple staff of sanctuary, so you should never actually lose a gryph- it should just have to leave the battle. That's not to mention the pally which is constantly healing the gryphs
5: The point of getting gryphs is that you're getting a balanced army. The reason why most HU's dont get them is because they don't want to upgrade to tier3. If you do, you should get pretty much everything at tier3. Pally, upgrades, staff of sanctuary, all that good stuff.
6: It's expensive, so get an expo.
King Shadow IC (6:49:59 PM): Stop leaving DotA games to make out with your sister, geez man.
King Shadow IC (7:39:14 PM): Moo.
King Shadow IC (7:27:33 PM): You fail.
King Shadow IC (7:27:52 PM): Please die.
King Shadow IC (7:29:46 PM): You're newb.
King Shadow IC (8:30:35 PM): Moo.
Gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2005, 12:46 AM   #40
IEATBABIES
Replay Submitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator
if i were making gryphons (and i played human for a while) i would never get more than 3. they're very good if there's just a few. Why?
1: They still do enough damage to counter the NE's bears pretty sufficiently for the gryph's worth
2: Most of their counters require a lot of the units. For example, 6 dryads will do nothing to 3 gryphs. The gryphons will simply ignore the dryads and focus on the bears, and a pally will heal the gryphons. Likewise, 6 hippogryphs will get slowed and focused on with WE's, rifles, sorcs, heros, etc.
3: With upgrades, pally, and even inner fire/scroll of protection, they will be very hard to kill
4: You should always have triple hero (am/mk/pally) with triple staff of sanctuary, so you should never actually lose a gryph- it should just have to leave the battle. That's not to mention the pally which is constantly healing the gryphs
5: The point of getting gryphs is that you're getting a balanced army. The reason why most HU's dont get them is because they don't want to upgrade to tier3. If you do, you should get pretty much everything at tier3. Pally, upgrades, staff of sanctuary, all that good stuff.
6: It's expensive, so get an expo.
thats some nice theorycraft. lol
I don't think I have ever once had three staff of sanctuaries. That would be 1750 gold in heroes and staves. Mass gryphs really aren't that bad against elf. Good micro > hypos, knights > dryads. The reason that you don't go gryphs is cost, nothing else. They are fairly effecient units as far as food goes, but they are not effecient costwise. If I'm playing LT and I have 2-3 mines I will go gryphs and it's nearly unbeatable, but if you do not do an expand + mass towers type strat it is not very realistic to get air IMO.
IEATBABIES is offline   Reply With Quote