Post New Thread

Thread: comp trouble.

comp trouble.

well, i have a bit of a computer problem...

anyway my comp crashed (error w/ firefox.exe and kernel32.dll (i think) so naturely i went to reboot. However when i rebooted the screen stayed black. however i didn't get the no signal error, (like if I just unplugged the cable.)

basically i can't even get into the bios/cmd prompt, i'm getting squat on the moniter.

I've since replaced the cable, taken the card out and put it back in (all the contacts looked fine.) but it didn't help any.

ALso i'm resonably sure the comp is crashing somehow (unable to access its drives over the network, though i think i've managed to log in once or twice (blind, judging by the sound)

anyway has anyone had a similar problem and fixed it?

any help would be appreciated. (yes it is plugged in)

when you start it up try holding "insert"

nothing. (i don't even see the boot sequence, so even if it did something i wouldn't be able to see it)

im running windows Me btw. gfx card is a geforce2 mx400

bump. help this poor man out!

did something fry? do you see burnt marks on ur video card or anywere?
    Did you overheat something?

Try testing ur monitor on another computer if possible.

Try testing youre Video card on another computer if possible

try cleaning the comp, check to make sure you havent broken a pin where the card connects the monitor. Check the drivers.

When you reboot, do you hear a beep? If so, then your computer is likely still posting, but you're not getting a signal to the monitor. If no beep, then (assuming you have a built-in speaker with your case) you are probably not even posting...this could be due to a RAM problem, a bad Mother Board, a bad power supply, and maybe even something else. It's rarely easy to discern exactly what the problem is, but if you can eliminate some of the possibilities that might help. For example, if you have a friend that has RAM compatible with your system, you could do a RAM swap and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't, then your RAM is probably not the issue.....etc. Wish I could be of more help, but that's all I've got for now.

If you are posting (you do get a beep), I would focus on the graphics card and possibly even the monitor.

its posting, and i can even log in (can tell by the sounds it makes )

no burnt marks or smell that i could tell, also the cable/moniter are brand new.

plus the moniter is getting some kind of signal (it goes from the passive mode from when the comp is off to the active mode, but nothing but black.)

hopefully its just some dust or something t.t

Post New Reply

Thread Information