Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mortars!!! ARGH

Mortars!!! ARGH

How do I take out mortars?

Besides "Don't let him get mortars" - that's absolute crap, because the guy I just played against towered himself in, then rushed mortars so fast that I only had about 4 hunts by the time he had a mortar out. When he towers + has a mortar, I can't approach his base. I had a glaive in back to try to harass him while he was keeping me out of his base, but he could repair fast WHILE attacking my hero and few hunts guarding the glaives. PLUS, the mortars can attack the glaives EASILY.

WHAT IS THE COUNTER TO MORTARS?! THEY ARE NE KILLERS.

with chimeras, or the lesser known strat with keeper of the grove /mass hippo riders hit and run abuse .

since he towered up his base and stood there, creep the hell out of yourself and gather all the money possible. Then u'll dry him out of money and win!

Director Emeritus
    Phasma in machina

Quote Originally Posted by A_Chimpanzee
    ...rushed mortars so fast that I only had about 4 hunts by the time he had a mortar out.
    o_O

Not possible.

Anyway, versus a base camper, you can either:

1. Push with glaive throwers (riskier, but shorter).

2. (Surefire win, but takes forever) Park a couple of scout wisps at his base entrance. Then go creep out the entire map and expand twice. Tech to bears or chimaera or whatever you want. Hire a Panda and get level 3 (or higher). If you see him leave his base, punish him and force him to retreat back to his towers. Prevent him from expanding. Watch out for invisimortar--carry a TP at all times and get a truesight scout hero 3rd (BM or POTM) if he insists on laming. Win by economic advantage when his mine dies.

I only had about 4 hunts by the time he had a mortar out.
    You should have 4 Hunts before the Human even begins teching to tier 2, let alone finishes the tier 2 tech and has Mortars.

Either you are the slowest unit builder ever or you meant to say that you make Archers first. If you're going straight Hunts and you only have 4 when the Human has Mortars, then you are training units WAY too slowly.

Yeah... I had 2 archers, and 2 glaives. But I was just showing that I hadn't time to even mass hunts yet.

It was very fast, that's what I'm trying to say. I wasn't even expecting him to have them yet.

O.o if hes camping dont attack and tech to something better. Like mass chimera or something would be cool and own the towers. or you could mass glaives for a lol fight

Quote Originally Posted by cork_da_orc
    O.o if hes camping dont attack and tech to something better. Like mass chimera or something would be cool and own the towers. or you could mass glaives for a lol fight
    Don't ever mass Chimeras in this situation. Any idea how easy it is to switch from mortars to gyrochoppers? Glaives is kinda silly because They're just generally terrible, especially against towers with heavy and not fortified armour.

You generally want to get the bare min to counter what he has, because if you get a bunch of Chims and kill off his mortars, You'll get a billion choppers up your butt in no time. If you did go mass Chims, you'd have to push their base right away and fast. The problem with that is very commonly Hu with this strat has a bunch of expos with towers, and the base is divided up. Usually I see workshops built at HU's natural expansion.

Soo... there still isn't a viable counter to mortars. Mortars are fast. Chims are not. Chims are like... in the far reaches of Tier 3. You'd have to know that he's going mortars by the time you get to Tier 2, and make sure that you had built an Ancient of Wind in preperation for Chims (And DOTTS are pretty much worthless against someone going sorcs/rifles/mortars.) Furthermore... it was just stated that going chims would leave me incredibly open to gyrocopters. And glaives... phuh. :p They're so slow... I lost 3 in the beginning because he was able to guerilla them from behind his farm-tower crap.

So basically... "don't let them get mortars", "don't let them expand", and "know what they're going early" are the shallowest counters to any situation... but I'm starting to think that they're the only counters to a human throwing in early mortars.

200 Point Level

bears and dryads?

100 Point Level MissedTheToilet's Avatar

Soo... there still isn't a viable counter to mortars. Mortars are fast. Chims are not. Chims are like... in the far reaches of Tier 3. You'd have to know that he's going mortars by the time you get to Tier 2, and make sure that you had built an Ancient of Wind in preperation for Chims (And DOTTS are pretty much worthless against someone going sorcs/rifles/mortars.) Furthermore... it was just stated that going chims would leave me incredibly open to gyrocopters. And glaives... phuh. :p They're so slow... I lost 3 in the beginning because he was able to guerilla them from behind his farm-tower crap.
    Well obviously if the mortars are moving they are not attacking. Something you could do is split your army up into 2 control groups and hotkey a hero & 4 hunts to 2. The rest of your units would go in 1.

You need to play WC3 more if you have 4 hunts when he is at tier2.

Replay?

25 Point Level

most times against mortars it's your army that has to be on the move, not to die in a few shots, it's ridiculous when the human has 5 or more mortars and you don't have a whole bunch of bears it's just gg, they own anything on the ground and when you don't fight them they take out your base in no time

kotg entangle=1 mortar dead

just hit and run him while teching to bears or air.

Ye olde signature

The thing about mortars is that they have very long maximum attack range, but they also do have a minimum attack range. In battle, position your unarmored units such as dryads close to his mortars and focus fire them. A few mortars are still gonna hurt you, but you might prevent 1-2 from attacking your dryads. Don't right click on the mortars - your dryads will attack the mortars but still be far enough away to be attacked. Right-click near the dryads or just spam the M key near his mortars. If you've got Forked Lightning or Breath of Fire handy, spam it freely on the mortars. In a typical human army, mortars are always the most harmful unit to your dryads, so kill them first. Don't worry about taking damage by running past his front lines. You will take a lot more damage if you let the mortars run over you. With the mortars gone, you should be okay to fight the rest of his army. Healing scrolls never hurt anyone either.

i was playing in wetland, the human in begining built like 5 tower, then mass mortars. i saw this and i started to upgrade get bears. Just when i was about fiinish upgrading my tree, he sneak into my base using invisibility and use mortar to kill my tree. i used the owl thing and saw him coming, but when i got to my base it was already to late. I killed most of mortars and he tp back. i started to rebuild my base and he came back with rilfemans, casters and mortars and i lost? what shouldve i done?

yes take the hint of expanding. dont, i repeat DONT ever let hu tower. you have to worry about invis mortars. just creep and make like 1MG/chim/5dryad army.

PaidiA - Chapters 1-21 (Completed)
    PaidiA II - Chapters 1-3 ONLINE
    Nakumura IV: Let's Play! -

Quote Originally Posted by Raithed
    yes take the hint of expanding. dont, i repeat DONT ever let hu tower. you have to worry about invis mortars. just creep and make like 1MG/chim/5dryad army.
    how do i stop him from towering, in the begining human can just some tower and i cant touch his base until i get bears or chim.

a mortar has 330hp, get warden+panda, reach them both to level3, fan of knifes and breath of fire=130+120=250 damage, so there will be just 80 hp left for mortars,!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by swithblade
    how do i stop him from towering, in the begining human can just some tower and i cant touch his base until i get bears or chim.
    im so sorry about that, i meant expanding. if he has a NE(natural expan) go there constantly to check. if hes only towering himself in and getting morts, you just need to creep and expand. play this ffa style. stay 50foot while creeping, make 3buildings of each type. 3aowing 3chim etc. as you rank up your economy you will win this with mass units.

PaidiA - Chapters 1-21 (Completed)
    PaidiA II - Chapters 1-3 ONLINE
    Nakumura IV: Let's Play! -

i dont understand..u let human stay in his base and get mortars and u built hunts and glaives to counter that and towers? hmmm i think sorc and mort/rifle rapes hunt so just do what every other ne does and mass dryads and go panda/pl...also glaive are worst siege in game so idk what u would expect from t1 crap. just mass expo and get mgs/bears/dryads if u dont feel like massing dryads. he might be able to stay in his base and fend off dryads but if he goes out u will have mass expo and dryads atk move atk and just spam bof/rof w/e gg. the old moon vs tod game on ts shows taht mass dryads can beat rifles,casters,morts,breakers which is the epitome of balance.

Post New Reply

Thread Information