Post New Thread

Thread: UFC 77: Hostile Territory

UFC 77: Hostile Territory

Don't see a thread for it yet, so discuss here.

If the Okami fight doesn't wind up being shown, that's pretty pitiful, given that he's beaten both Starnes and Belcher (who are fighting in a main card fight).

Silva should beat Franklin and I think Vera will beat Sylvia, though Kross disagrees about Sylvia.

At least two of the fights on the card are completely meaningless filler, but a couple are good, so we'll see how it turns out.

Complete Predictions post can be found in my sig, if you like. For those asking about the Rankings page in the thread regarding Randy Couture, they're up now, in proper eye-pleasing format, so you can check those out, too.

Dana's not accepting Randy's resignation now, so a lawsuit will be forthcoming, which the UFC will undoubtedly lose and look like idiots, so expect Randy in M-1 with Fedor, etc. within a year.

No reason to sign with m-1. CFC has offered 3 million dollars for the 2 to fight. Not to sure if it will ever happen. But we can only hope.

Rich will be sent back to the operating table.

And as much as I want Vera to win. I do not think it is going to happen. If Tim is back into the shape he was. He will be using his reach and jab. Then catching vera with a leg kick to the melon.

I am not watching this because of work. But I will watch soon. TEVO at a buddies place. I really hope the show the fight with jason and okami

None of my favourite fighters are fighting, bleh

not any good fights worth watching IMO... maybe silva vs franklin but should be 1 sided heh

Not any good fights. Give your head a shake. LOL

Out of here!

Complete UFC noobs. All you idiots want to see is chuck lidell then?

LOL Chuck. He is actually the last guy I want to see anytime soon. But still would like to get his ass handed to him.

Well there is some results rolling in on the web. Not going to spoil anyone.

So far what I thought is going down.

*Spoilers will follow*

Starnes fight was lame. Granted, Belcher was doing more damage with his strikes, and I didn't expect him to, so credit to him for that. However, Starnes was landing way, way more punches than Belcher and, though I would give the first round to Belcher due to damage dealt, it was a close round. Starnes's jab was controlling most of the exchanges. However, the elbow, then knee from Belcher opened up a gigantic (and deep - all the way to the skull) gash above Starnes's right eye, so that wasn't good for the longevity of the fight.

In the second round, it was much of the same, with Starnes landing more strikes but Belcher landing stronger shots. The doctor came in to look at Starnes's cut again, could see Starnes's skull and called off the fight. Sad way to end it.

Respect for Starnes for telling his worthless cornerman to fuck off after the fight after his cornerman tried to insinuate that Starnes had voluntarily quit. Starnes clearly said twice that he wanted to continue and the doctor goes, "I can see your skull. It's over." Starnes never quit. His one cornerman - seemed to be just one guy who was the target of the anger - is a prick.

Bonnar fight was pretty predictable, and he just overran Schafer. Schafer held on well in the first round, but then Bonnar hit him a few times on the ground in the second round and Schafer just turtled, then the fight was stopped. Good win for Bonnar, I guess.

Gurgel fight was great for one round, then he got hit a few times in the second round and did absolutely nothing for the rest of the fight. He dominated Robinson so badly in the first round that it could easily have been scored 10-8 for Gurgel, but, ironically, it was Gurgel who lost a 10-8 round, in the third. On a sidenote, quite pleased to see judges finally handing out justified 10-8 rounds, without fouls causing them. If a fighter does absolutely nothing for an entire round, he gets 8 or less, not 9. Gurgel loses, so the Cincinnati boys are 0 for 1.

Vera vs Sylvia was lame because Sylvia is just too big for Vera and Sylvia just held Vera against the cage for 80% of the fight. In the first two rounds (mostly the second, as the exchanges in the first were brief), Vera won the striking war, and I thought he might be able to pull off the win, but Sylvia manhandled him in the final round and won the striking battle. Vera broke his hand in the first round, which pretty much screwed him over, but it was the second round (not the first) that Vera won, so he was still in the fight even after breaking his hand.

With Vera coming off a loss, and Cro Cop losing his last fight, this could possibly set up a fight between the two of them because they are similar in size. Vera does very well against heavyweights who are similar in size to him. Even though Cro Cop's striking is legendary, Vera's is extremely good as well, so that could be an exciting (though probably unlikely) fight.

Main event was basically a carbon-copy of the first fight between Franklin and Silva, with the only difference being that Franklin lasted a few minutes longer. To his credit, he did do better in the clinch this time, and he did land a few good shots on Silva, but Silva basically knocked Rich out at the very end of the first round and Rich was out of it after that. Silva won with an amazing combo of knees, punches, a random leg/body kick and a pair of kicks to the head, with Franklin losing in nearly the exact same manner as the first fight. Hometown Cincinnati boys are 0 for 2.

Sidenotes:

Brock Lesnar is now in the UFC.

Wanderlei Silva's opponent for UFC 79 was not announced, even though the UFC had previously suggested that he would be.

Yushin Okami beat Jason MacDonald, so Okami should get to fight Anderson Silva next. Silva and Okami fought once in Rumble on the Rock, but the fight ended quickly after Silva was DQ'd for an illegal upkick (which actually knocked Okami out). A rematch between the two, with a clear winner, could be a great fight.

Jason Black somehow lost to Matt Grice. I have no idea how he managed to lose that fight. Black is now 0-2 in the UFC, and he is waaaay better than that. Very unfortunate.

Demian Maia, while a total no-name in MMA, has some extremely good submissions and jiu-jitsu. He could be a force in a few years.

Josh Burkman beat Forrest Petz in a close but largely uneventful fight.

I'll have full results up in an hour or so, but there's a summary for you.

@above borck lesnar is pretty huge, i've seen him in WWE what happened to that how can you switch to UFC =/

Damn I've been spreading the news like fire when I saw the poster of Wandy vs. Chuck from DirecTV. DAMN YOUUUU

Brock has been training mma and is actually 1-0. Give him some time and he should actually be a powerful heavyweight, im kind of excited to see him join with the ufc

www.mmarising.com

www.mmarising.com

That makes him look like a complete NUB.

he dodged all 3 strikes... anderson ftw lol

www.mmarising.com

Post New Reply

Thread Information