PDA

View Full Version : Writing Department Openings (Strategy, Interviews, Allround)

KidArctica
06-11-2004, 01:55 AM
<div align="justify">WCReplays.com is looking for a few more people for the Writing Department. At the moment, we have openings for <b>Strategy Writers</b>, <b>Interviewers</b> and possibly <b>Allround Writers</b>.

<b>Strategy Writers</b> should be able to study and analyze various strategies and write in depth articles about them, making them more accessible and understandable to the public. While good playing skills are definitely a plus, it is not required as long as you have a good knowledge of the game and are able to do research and analyze the replays of top players to draw your conclusions.

<b>Interviewers</b> must master other formats than just the Q&A. Although we will assist you in choosing and finding interviewees, you need to be able to find and contact people yourself. Knowledge of the scene and the top players is therefore a plus. It is important that you are able to do some research on the subject so that you can formulate good, critical questions that take us a bit further than just to the surface of the given interviewee.

<b>Allround Writers</b> should be able to write different types of material, like interviews, news articles and features. These positions are for those who like to write and who do not want to limit themselves to one format only. While allround writers in general are free to choose their own topics, they may also be assigned to write about something in particular if necessary, so flexibility is important.

For all positions, we are looking for people who can contribute on a regular basis. Writing positions are a lot of work, so it is very important that you like to do what you apply for. Good knowledge of the English language is obviously a plus, though material will be checked by an editor before publishing, so good writing skills are more important. Note that none of the staff members of WCReplays.com get any payment for their work, as this is a volunteer site.

If you want to try out for one of the positions, send your application to <b>applications@WCReplays.com</b>. Make sure you include the following (all information will be handle confidentially):

<blockquote><li>Name, age, location</li>
<li>WCReplays handle</li>
<li>Related experience</li>
<li>Which position you are applying for</li>
<li>Why we should pick you for our Writing Department</li>
<li>One or more samples of your writing (does not have to be Warcraft related)</li></blockquote>Those who apply for Strategy Writer positions should also include information about their BNet account(s) and current level/1.14b level and their racial preferences for strategy articles.

<b>Please take some time to write a good application. Remember that it is your one and only chance to promote yourself and stand out in the crowd. Happy writing!</b></div>

64Mhz
06-14-2004, 09:38 PM
Can we apply for more than 1 position?
And when is applicationing...if thats a word lol....closed. :)

PS. Is it "allround" or "allaround?" I always thought it was allaround. :wink2:

catfish
06-14-2004, 09:41 PM
i certainly hope you can,

fyi the word your looking for is "may"

and i would say yes, not like they would turn you down solely becuase you applied to multiple areas.

FaLKiNFaLKeR69
06-14-2004, 09:45 PM
I'm tryin out!

64Mhz
06-14-2004, 10:05 PM
Sent!

KoD-Dan
06-14-2004, 10:51 PM
Sorry, but what do you mean by "Related Experience", related to what?

JackVance
06-14-2004, 11:13 PM
And when is applicationing...if thats a word lol....closed.

PS. Is it "allround" or "allaround?" I always thought it was allaround.
that makes a very good first impression for the "writing" department right there ;)

Sorry, but what do you mean by "Related Experience", related to what?
Related to writing strategy articles, or articles in general. Maybe you have written 3-page essays on balance on the bnet forums or something? ^^

puNisheR[yT]
06-14-2004, 11:41 PM
I'm good at writing anything for WC3.. who do we contact and what do we have to do to apply for any of the writing parts available.. i promise i will not disappoint, =)

-Steve

MiX-
06-15-2004, 12:01 AM
Just wondering... could i do strategy articles about my own strategys? i dont consider myself a "top player" but i think im good enough

KoD-Dan
06-15-2004, 12:36 AM
']I'm good at writing anything for WC3.. who do we contact and what do we have to do to apply for any of the writing parts available.. i promise i will not disappoint, =)

-Steve

Read the first post in the thread.

sCK
06-15-2004, 12:48 AM
-_- since FatalClick, who i admit is on par with my columns, got that spot, i'll apply for Allaround

generalof.USoA
06-15-2004, 01:03 AM
Just curious but about how long can we expect to hear from you if we are picked?

Deafinator
06-15-2004, 01:17 AM
Wow, took me a while to make up a interview O.o

HyB
06-15-2004, 06:00 AM
applied

Anarion
06-15-2004, 06:03 AM
Research on the subject is overrated :P

Vaulander
06-15-2004, 09:36 AM
Anarion, I disagree. A bunch of theories based on facts weighs much more than just random outbursts of 'think-so' and 'should-be' arguments.
V.

xeron
06-15-2004, 09:38 AM
*I will read posts carefully from now on*

crt3k.
06-15-2004, 09:44 AM
^_^ applied.

are we gonna get paid?

/me hits you with a shoe for not reading.

sCK
06-15-2004, 09:52 AM
A bunch of theories based on facts

Strategy Writer.

random outbursts of 'think-so' and 'should-be' arguments.

Columnist.

ant_paturzo
06-15-2004, 11:01 AM
come on xeron, it says right there in the 1st post, why don't you read before asking stupid questions.

Kleezs
06-15-2004, 11:13 AM
I don't feel like sending in an application right now, because of time constraints, but if there is any option of doing a column once in 2 weeks, or once in a month, I might apply.
I'll be happy to send in some of the stuff I wrote, if I can do it in my own time schedule.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of time on my hands, but its mostly small fragments scattered along the days of the week.

For all positions, we are looking for people who can contribute on a regular basis.

I can contribute for the people, for all positions, but I am still looking for my regular basis.

DownWithLove
06-15-2004, 11:16 AM
what is "wcreplays handle" ?

Malystryx
06-15-2004, 11:28 AM
applied! 8D
i think handle means account name :/ not sure :]

DownWithLove
06-15-2004, 11:32 AM
some war3 exp must be needed ... like .. what lvl ? :)

AnCouLer
06-15-2004, 03:13 PM
<div align="justify">WCReplays.com is looking for a few more people for the Writing Department. At the moment, we have openings for <b>Strategy Writers</b>, <b>Interviewers</b> and possibly <b>Allround Writers</b>.

<b>Strategy Writers</b> should be able to study and analyze various strategies and write in depth articles about them, making them more accessible and understandable to the public. While good playing skills are definitely a plus, it is not required as long as you have a good knowledge of the game and are able to do research and analyze the replays of top players to draw your conclusions.

<b>Interviewers</b> must master other formats than just the Q&A. Although we will assist you in choosing and finding interviewees, you need to be able to find and contact people yourself. Knowledge of the scene and the top players is therefore a plus. It is important that you are able to do some research on the subject so that you can formulate good, critical questions that take us a bit further than just to the surface of the given interviewee.

<b>Allround Writers</b> should be able to write different types of material, like interviews, news articles and features. These positions are for those who like to write and who do not want to limit themselves to one format only. While allround writers in general are free to choose their own topics, they may also be assigned to write about something in particular if necessary, so flexibility is important.

For all positions, we are looking for people who can contribute on a regular basis. Writing positions are a lot of work, so it is very important that you like to do what you apply for. Good knowledge of the English language is obviously a plus, though material will be checked by an editor before publishing, so good writing skills are more important. Note that none of the staff members of WCReplays.com get any payment for their work, as this is a volunteer site.

If you want to try out for one of the positions, send your application to <b>applications@WCReplays.com</b>. Make sure you include the following (all information will be handle confidentially):

<blockquote><li>Name, age, location</li>
<li>WCReplays handle</li>
<li>Related experience</li>
<li>Which position you are applying for</li>
<li>Why we should pick you for our Writing Department</li>
<li>One or more samples of your writing (does not have to be Warcraft related)</li></blockquote>Those who apply for Strategy Writer positions should also include information about their BNet account(s) and current level/1.14b level and their racial preferences for strategy articles.

<b>Please take some time to write a good application. Remember that it is your one and only chance to promote yourself and stand out in the crowd. Happy writing!</b></div>

I've accually always wanted to be a strategy writter!! here is my chance!

64Mhz
06-15-2004, 03:25 PM
that makes a very good first impression for the "writing" department right there ;)

Errrmm...is that good or bad??

Edit: K I looked it up and its all-around or all-round. Either one. =/

AnCouLer
06-15-2004, 03:26 PM
Lol... I accually sent mine... VOTE ANCOULER!!!!! :p:

Casters
06-15-2004, 03:56 PM
kewl i wanna work

Anarion
06-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Anarion, I disagree. A bunch of theories based on facts weighs much more than just random outbursts of 'think-so' and 'should-be' arguments.
V.

I beg to differ; it's not about how much you know, but how persuasive you can be... :)

Vaulander
06-15-2004, 05:14 PM
Hey, if you are looking for presidency, go to the whitehouse, we need strat people who know what they are talking about... or at least some of what they talk about.
V.

KoD-Dan
06-15-2004, 05:55 PM
I sent in an application. When can we expect a response to come, and how will it come? Will it be a PM or an e-mail?

sCK
06-15-2004, 05:55 PM
Or make it sound like they know what they're talking about.

BaneTheBastard
06-15-2004, 06:55 PM
how long do we ahve?

MiX-
06-15-2004, 07:57 PM
is lev 25 1.15 and lev 23 1.14b considered "experience"?

Sapphire
06-15-2004, 08:31 PM
MiX-, that's fine.

We'll accept applications for a week. After that we'll review them and notify the people we've selected for consideration.

Fosterman
06-15-2004, 11:02 PM
*I can't read*

Dahkar
06-15-2004, 11:12 PM
I'l take a educated guess and say nothing. If your wondering where I found this valuable information look on the first page.

Strategist
06-15-2004, 11:22 PM
I'd love to write articles for wcreplays... but I can't submit it regularly. Would that be ok?

Sapphire
06-15-2004, 11:34 PM
Staff members need to be able to write on a regular basis, some more frequently than others. See first post for more details.

But we do welcome you to submit original work to be considered for posting without being staff.

Treisk
06-16-2004, 01:42 AM
I sent mine in in a bunch of different parts. I was so nervous, and I just hope it turned out well. I even did a game with commentary and an after-game interview for both positions.

KidArctica
06-16-2004, 01:58 AM
People who would like to see their work posted but cannot contribute on a regular basis can submit their material to submit@wcreplays.com. The material will be reviewed, and unless the poster has a site history that warrants it not being posted, we will put it on the front page if it is of good quality.

wow.Mad
06-16-2004, 11:30 AM
I would really like to be parts of staff, but I lack a bit in english...

Also, it would be nice cause i'm sure i could have an interview with pow.kooba and pow.peon!

AnCouLer
06-16-2004, 11:52 AM
What do you mean by: '' cannot contribute on a regular basis''?

Sapphire
06-16-2004, 12:32 PM
What do you mean by
What do you mean by: '' cannot contribute on a regular basis''??

Demongod86
06-16-2004, 02:51 PM
I'm applying for strategy writer for NE =]. Good thing Cygnus doesn't write, or my application would be moot =]

sCK
06-16-2004, 04:33 PM
What do you mean by: '' cannot contribute on a regular basis''?

maybe it's just me, but i don't think you're getting this position. :rofl:

ColdVoltage
06-18-2004, 05:09 AM
A sample of other writing...like what would that be exactly?

Demongod86
06-18-2004, 07:40 AM
Anything you wrote. Fan fiction, you can write a strategy article as your sample, like I did and just mail it with your application...so, yaeh. BTW, CV, your signature is totally aweosme.

sCK
06-18-2004, 10:12 AM
... and totally too big. I don't know, I just sent in some of my college application essays along with the mini-article I wrote in Member Chat.

NOF
06-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Im to lazy together but if whomever is judging this wants to see my work head over to the Maelstrom, NOF.

BaneTheBastard
06-19-2004, 02:01 AM
hey its nef! hi nef!

generalof.USoA
06-21-2004, 04:07 AM
How many people are you looking for anyway?

Sapphire
06-21-2004, 08:17 AM
It depends on how many really good applications we get.

KoD-Dan
06-21-2004, 03:24 PM
Is columnist under the "AllAround Writer" category?

KidArctica
06-21-2004, 11:03 PM
No, columnists are columnists while allround writers do other types of written material. We do not have openings for columnists at this time.

On another note, the first batch of people should receive an email from me very soon. We will have at least one more batch of people taken in later, too.

Demongod86
06-21-2004, 11:08 PM
No email here =/

Evaporater
06-22-2004, 04:21 AM
the first batch of people should receive an email from me very soon.
She is probably using Blizzard's Soon™ :P .

BaneTheBastard
06-22-2004, 09:02 PM
:( i didnt get an email... shucks... i thought i had a chance... its most likly cause i been inactive : went to lan 3 days, and gaming comp is offline cause sbc dsl suxxors :(

Evaporater
06-23-2004, 02:53 AM
We will have at least one more batch of people taken in later, too.
don't give up hope!

AnCouLer
06-27-2004, 05:58 AM
I think I can :/

AnCouLer
06-27-2004, 06:00 AM
What do you mean by ?

Just a stupid question.. I was probably very tiered when I read it.... :(

Treisk
07-07-2004, 12:12 PM
I was wondering when you were going to come to a decision concerning this? I've been stalking my inbox for so long that MSN has grown tired of my constantaneous clicking of the blue folder. Really!

Treisk
07-07-2004, 12:15 PM
Man, I've been keeping up to date on this, but I'm seriously nervous about the second batch. -He held out a shaking hand, which trembled infinitely.- Ow?

Treisk
07-09-2004, 05:08 AM
(This thread now officially goes *BUMP!* in the night...)

4:08 A.M. CST at night, to be exact. :O

Treisk
07-11-2004, 06:19 PM
I have a feeling this is never going to be answered. <.<;

Drkness_Falls
07-11-2004, 08:23 PM
hey ummm i don't know that much about to game to be totally honest, but i'm a damn good writer and i'm funny (looking) so if u have columnist openings at any point can u just put up a thread like this for em (i'm guessing you'll do it anyways so this was prolly pointlesss... but i need to have something to do with my time to feel important...)

Treisk
07-12-2004, 02:29 PM
Darkness, perhaps the interviews would be more proper for you, since you're new to the game, because it's hard for a newer player to really be able to write about strategies in the game. By the way, expect to see me on AIM sometime soon.