PDA

View Full Version : Audio Hirings

Ciel
01-11-2010, 10:12 AM
WCR is looking for some fresh new commentators so if this is something you've always been interested in, read on. We're looking for some audio commentators to fill out our roster after some recent departures. If you've got the time to record one audio every two weeks you can apply by:

- Creating a forum handle if you haven't already (remembering to tell us what it is!)
- Picking a game in the WCReplays database (current patch only),
- Recording a sample commentary that's no longer than 3 minutes, and
- Sending it to us in an e-mail at applications@wcreplays.com, with a link to the game you covered. Make sure to include "audio application" in the subject line of your e-mail!

That's it.

Please, in the name of all things sacred, follow the few instructions here. It will really hurt your chances if you don't. We will accept applications for week or so and will get in touch with the folks who we want to hear more from. If you have questions post away, and either myself or SystemShark will try to get back to you as soon as possible. Good luck to all applicants!

FAQ

What program can I use to record audios?

Try Audacity. You can google it and download it for free. It's also really simple to use.

How can I put the audio and the replay in one file like WCR does?

Google WinRar and download that. Then, right click on your desktop and go to new ---> Winrar ZIP archive. You can then drag the audio file AND the replay on to that file and they will both be archived together.

ionlyplayPROtoss
01-12-2010, 08:44 PM
hard to do an ac in 3 min or under...

pwEnt
01-13-2010, 04:16 AM
well i guess it's suposed to be like an abstract or something right?

and we're a duo...do we have to do one each? or do we get 6min together? :D

Ciel
01-13-2010, 10:40 AM
hard to do an ac in 3 min or under...

The reason for this is double barreled. First, we don't have time to watch endless 20 minute plus audios and second, all of us are experienced enough to be able to tell if people are good in three minutes. Pick a part of a replay you think you can explain well and impress us with then use that as your 3 minite portion. Really, a 3 minute audio is much easier to make than a full one.

and we're a duo...do we have to do one each? or do we get 6min together? :D

Unless you've got some sort of comedy double act thing going on where your style of commentary is dependent on the other person being there, I'd advise you submit one application each. You can sort out stuff like duals with whoever if you're brought on board.

WhenPeonsAttack
01-13-2010, 03:09 PM
This is just silly, I'm not aloud to commentate my own games unless they are front page? It has to be a wcr replay?

Ciel
01-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Use whatever replay you like. Just remember to include a copy in the ZIP file if you're not linking to it on our database.

lawltasmic
01-16-2010, 03:06 AM
I don't understand....do you pay audio commentators or is this just "for fun"?

Aydin
01-16-2010, 04:50 AM
What would you like for me to do?

I have one recorded and 2-3 projects that I'm considering atm.

Lado
01-16-2010, 05:38 AM
I'm interested! Sign me up!

griffer
01-16-2010, 05:43 AM
Yes Lado, please give us more audio commentating! See if you can get remind's multi unit mix on Echo Isles to work too, that would be cool:

http://w3g.replays.net/doc/cn/2009-11-16/12583749085312573729.html

Ciel
01-16-2010, 10:01 AM
I don't understand....do you pay audio commentators or is this just "for fun"?

This is something I should have cleared up in the establishing post, but all staff positions here are voluntary. They come with minor perks, though, such as getting the forum avatar, green name, staff forum access...also, it's pretty cool having an opportuinity to do something that involves getting your voice heard and having people listen to your advice/jokes.

episteme
01-16-2010, 10:28 AM

Lado my children refuse to eat until you make more ACs

Deranging
01-16-2010, 03:18 PM
When do you want these in? at like latest kinda

BlueRush
01-16-2010, 04:33 PM

I hope he's serious because I miss his audios.

Orange
01-16-2010, 05:39 PM
I hope he's serious because I miss his audios.

Agreed.

griffer
01-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Agreed.

Lado's audios rockzorz, he just got interested in girls or something and stopped making them.

Here's another suggested audio for commentating purposes:

http://w3g.replays.net/doc/cn/2009-10-3/12545820153295782677.html

kyle_san
01-17-2010, 09:32 PM
How strict will the 3 minute rule be and

when is the dead line?

SySShark
01-17-2010, 11:32 PM
If it goes a little under or a little over I guess its not a big deal, but I think you should be able to stick to a simple guideline. If you've ever taken a communications class; speeches are typically timed and if you go over/under you normally would start losing points. For these purposes I'd rather see you be able to present yourself/style in UNDER 3 mins but if you go a little over (30 seconds or so I'd say is fair) Its not the end of the world.

We are always looking for talent but I think were looking at making some hiring decisions from this posting in the next week or two.

Orange
01-18-2010, 12:36 AM
Lado's audios rockzorz, he just got interested in girls or something and stopped making them.

Here's another suggested audio for commentating purposes:

http://w3g.replays.net/doc/cn/2009-10-3/12545820153295782677.html

Those kinds of games make for terrible commentaries tbh. Especially when they're THAT long.

DeathW1ng
01-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Ooh no! Am I to late to send in one? I actually only just saw this post for the first time :(
I've been doing AC's for Reign of Chaos and I got good feedback from there, especially about my english skills since im not actually a native-speaker. If you'd like I could link you guys with some.. They are in VOD form so no need to download the actual replay/audio file.

If its not fair towards others I'll do it the way everyone is supposed to with the 3 min thing, unless im too late obviously :(

Please let me know!

Ciel
01-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Submit an application. You're not too late! :)

DeathW1ng
01-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Alright then, is there any deadline?

Edit:

And also, should I only be talking about that game in 3 minuts or should I start first with a little introduction about myself and my experience in shoutcasting/audio commentating and how long I've been playing War3?

Ciel
01-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Try and keep the 3 minutes all about the commentary. You can provide us with any background in the email. The whole point of the 3 minute thing is for us to assess how acute your commentating skills are and if you're spending 2 of those minutes talking about yourself, that may be interesting but it doesn't help us in our selection process.

DeathW1ng
01-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Alright, I think I'm gonna send one in then :)

Edit: DONE! XD

kyle_san
01-20-2010, 06:39 PM
same!

its like I'm waiting for Christmas now :3

Ciel
01-21-2010, 06:13 AM
I'm gonna be sending out a round of emails later today so people know if their applications have been recieved.

DeathW1ng
01-21-2010, 06:18 AM
I'm gonna be sending out a round of emails later today so people know if their applications have been recieved.

Great, now I can stop pressing F5 on this topic all the time :D

Ramble
01-22-2010, 06:12 PM
huh, never knew f5 was the shortcut for refreshing, thanks

kyle_san
01-23-2010, 12:11 AM
If you didn't receive an email does it mean your audio wasnt recieved?

Ciel
01-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Erm, I didn't get an application from you. :( Try sending it again. Either applications@wcreplays.com or ciel@wcreplays.com works.

Edit: Hrm, it's showing in my inbox now. Weird. No need to resend it!

kyle_san
01-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Ciel when will you be pming/emailing the successful applicants?

Because this is something i hope you saw that i gave it my all and wish that you can see that to let me be a new audio commentator that can sweeten up the audios

not saying AT all! that the already done commentaries or commentator taste bad >.<

Ciel
01-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Okay, apps are now closed for the time being. We'll be contacting those who applied tomorrow.

ionlyplayPROtoss
01-26-2010, 08:03 PM
i have a question: how many people are you looking to hire?

Ciel
01-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Those with the samples we were most impressed with have now been contacted. If you applied and haven't heard back from us, you're free to submit member audios for frontpage submission in the Member Audio section at any time. Also, and this is horrible advice because you'll naturally feel this way, try not to be too down if you weren't picked. The submissions we had this time around were of a very high standard and it may have been something very small that made us pick someone else.

If you would like, you're free to PM me and I'll give you constructive feedback of your samples.