PDA

View Full Version : The SC2 Shoutcast Department is Hiring!

RedRagToAnOrc
06-26-2010, 04:05 PM
Do you want to get involved with the community on a new game? Ever dreamed of being the next Tasteless or Day[9]? Want to get your name out and about on the scene? Here's an excellent opportunity!

The Starcraft 2 Shoutcast Department is now hiring new shoutcasters. For a new game, we'll be heading in a new direction: Livestream. And with a new medium comes new ideas. We're not only looking for fresh blood, but also a variety of performers.

What Do We Want? - Whether you're more interested in covering professional games in big-name tournaments or whether you've been talking over your own games while you play on Livestream, we want to hear from you. The most important thing for us is that we have variety as well as quality.

As a member of WCR's staff, it's not all privilege! You'll be expected to produce regular content and host membercasts if there's a lack of tournaments going on. In general we would like all SC2 shoutcasters to produce at least one shoutcast per week or the equivalent for other styles of commentary. If you can't meet this quota, don't apply!

How to Apply - Although the beta is currently down, it will be coming back up soon and the people who will be deciding if you get hired will almost certainly have access to it. There are two ways to apply;

First method: pick a replay! Don't watch it beforehand as this will create a false pretense for your commentary and trust me, we can tell! You need to react to what's happening as that is what you'll be doing if you get the job. Record your commentary and email both recording and replay to the address below.

Second method: if you have experience with commentaries already, feel free to link us to any YouTube or on-demand Livestream/similar material you have produced. Email the links to the below address.

Heaven forbid if you don't have access to the beta... I'm afraid it's a requirement for this position for this round of hirings; although we will be doing more hirings in the future which will not require having played the beta.

You're welcome to record an entire game, however we'll generally be able to get an idea of your potential/ability within a 2-3 minute clip.

Submission Address: WCRApplications@gmail.com
Please use the following subject name: [Your Name Here] - Shoutcast Application

Your application absolutely will be listened to and we judge all applicants on their own merits; don't be put off just because you're relatively new to the forums or to commentating in general!

Also, please include in the email;

A little about yourself
Any previous audio experience (YouTube commentaries, member audios, Livestream experience - don't worry if you don't have any!)
Why you think you'd be a good person for the job.

Remember, all positions at the site are voluntary and thus unpaid. You will, however, receive a custom avatar/custom title upon completion of your trial period, a sexy green-coloured name and access to the super-secret sections of the site. :)

What We're Looking For - A successful applicant:

will have a clear voice
will have a very good command of the English language
will be mature and responsible
will be energetic
absolutely MUST be able to operate Livestream software at good quality - this means a reliable broadband connection and a good computer

Other Requirements - Things that aren't essential, but will certainly help;

a strong knowledge of SC2 and a lot of experience from the beta - not necessarily skill unless you want to cast your own games, but certainly knowledge
having plenty of time on your hands!

The application deadline is the 23rd of July so get started on those apps. Good luck!

Orange
07-03-2010, 06:17 PM
How to Apply - Although the beta is currently down, it will be coming back up soon and the people who will be deciding if you get hired will almost certainly have access to it. There are two ways to apply;

Actually, you can still watch replays while the beta is down. Just click and drag the replay you want to watch onto the sc2 icon thing, and it will load up the replay.

Siddhartha
07-03-2010, 08:11 PM
my stupid computer is the only reason why i won't be able to apply for this.. good luck to all future applicants!

mike941
07-04-2010, 02:16 AM
Blasphemy! The name of the site is WARCRAFTreplays.com

Besides TL will have better SC2 content no matter what you do it's just a much better run site. Imho you should just stick to what you know.

OwnagEskynet
07-04-2010, 03:26 PM
as someone who consistently casted/streamed for IcCup TV for the duration of SC2 Beta (our organization bringing around ~3000 viewers come tourny's) as well as with my own personal stream

if your trying to get this to be professional you need Ustream Producer/Ustream Producer Pro, cause once you get beyond 1500-2000 viewers Livestream crashes, and is consistently less reliable

RedRagToAnOrc
07-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Actually, you can still watch replays while the beta is down. Just click and drag the replay you want to watch onto the sc2 icon thing, and it will load up the replay.

My client always crashes when I do that, or doesn't load.

if your trying to get this to be professional you need Ustream Producer/Ustream Producer Pro, cause once you get beyond 1500-2000 viewers Livestream crashes, and is consistently less reliable

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we surpassed those figures, to be honest; based on our WC3 listener numbers in our prime.

OwnagEskynet
07-04-2010, 04:46 PM
try sc2manager for watching replays

it works now without any crashing

RedRagToAnOrc
07-04-2010, 05:21 PM
try sc2manager for watching replays

it works now without any crashing

I considered it, but it's a third-party program that does stuff to the client and beta will be back up soon anyway. I don't want to use anything that Warden could even ever-so-slightly consider malicious. Maybe it won't matter, but my philosophy is that it's better to be prepared for something that doesn't happen.

Mr.Hobo
07-04-2010, 05:56 PM
As soon as Beta is back up, I'm all over this!

Shinvega
07-04-2010, 07:06 PM
WCR needs to branch out and evolve. Its not going to last forever being a WC3 site... so this is a good direction. Also, since SC2 is going to be so huge I wouldnt be surprised if we surpass those numbers with a good shoutcaster.

Mr.Hobo
07-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Can you send more than one application?

RedRagToAnOrc
07-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Can you send more than one application?

There's really no need; just submit whatever you think is the best one you did! Like I said, we generally only need 2-3 minutes of audio to know whether or not you'll be good for the job.

Mr.Hobo
07-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Okay, makes sense. So would you say send a part of a shoutcast where there's a lot of action or is it safer to send a whole shoutcast through which you guys can skim?

RedRagToAnOrc
07-06-2010, 07:37 AM
Okay, makes sense. So would you say send a part of a shoutcast where there's a lot of action or is it safer to send a whole shoutcast through which you guys can skim?

The choice is entirely up to you! If you want to showcase a range of situations then sending in a whole game would seem to make the most sense to me; if not, then just a clip. :)

ReddFoxxofHell
07-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Can I apply?

RedRagToAnOrc
07-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Can I apply?

Anyone can apply. The only thing that would stop someone getting hired if they were good enough is their posting history.

ReddFoxxofHell
07-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Anyone can apply. The only thing that would stop someone getting hired if they were good enough is their posting history.

So is that a hint that my application would be trashed?

RedRagToAnOrc
07-06-2010, 04:48 PM
So is that a hint that my application would be trashed?

If you'd genuinely like to know whether or not we would discount your application on the basis of your past/present forum conduct, keep it to PMs.

KilleR_FroG-
07-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Need computer that can run sc2 :(

RedRagToAnOrc
07-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Need computer that can run sc2 :(

KF 8[

Mr.Hobo
07-08-2010, 11:31 PM
So, I was very excited to find out Beta came back up; however my dumb luck wouldn't let me stay excited for long. Idk what's wrong but my Beta won't patch for some reason and whenever I get to the login screen it says "invalid version" whenever I try to log in. Does this mean I can't apply because Blizzard hates me?

Deranging
07-10-2010, 02:52 PM
There is a way to fix that - I think I can try to look for it.

Mr.Hobo
07-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Thanks Deranging but I've already tried applying the patches manually and even then it wouldn't work. I'll be getting a new PC in like 3 days so hopefully it will work on that.

Mr.Hobo
07-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Got my new PC (woooo!) and SC2 Beta is running smoothly. Anyone know where to find professional replays for download that are from Phase 2? I can only find Phase 1 replays and none of them load.

RedRagToAnOrc
07-16-2010, 06:39 PM
http://www.esl.eu/eu/sc2/go4sc2/cup22/rankings/

Many of the matchups have replays submitted for them and they're current-patch.

RedRagToAnOrc
07-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks very much for all the applications. All applicants, both successful and unsuccessful, will be PMed over the next few hours.

Siphon.Image
07-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Damn, was just wondering if WCR was doing anything for SC2. Looks like I missed my chance. Good luck shoutcasters, eagerly awaiting shoutcasts and the next wave of hiring.

RedRagToAnOrc
07-31-2010, 05:29 PM
Damn, was just wondering if WCR was doing anything for SC2. Looks like I missed my chance. Good luck shoutcasters, eagerly awaiting shoutcasts and the next wave of hiring.

Although the hirings are the publicised opportunity to apply, we're always opening to people offering their services. PM me if you're serious. :)

ReddFoxxofHell
08-02-2010, 10:21 AM

Holy shit look who it is.

Railz
08-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Someone wants SC2 shoutcasts? :)

TaysChreNN
08-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Someone wants SC2 shoutcasts? :)

Blast from the past o.O