PDA

View Full Version : Mass Raiders

BigWeso
06-25-2004, 11:40 PM
I played an orc and he won using mass raiders. He built his base close together and got 1 tower, 1 warmill, a few burrows and an alter. He teched really fast(obviously no tier 1). I tried to keep pressure on, but will his BM/burrows/tower it was hard to kill him. He got 2 beastiaries up and began massing raiders. He never fought me, but rather rallied his troops elsewhere on the map, and once he had enough he took out my town hall. All this time I was massing archers and I began attacking his base. He didn't TP or anything. He just came to my base and began attacking. I still thought I would finish his base off first, since I started destroying it earlier than he started destroying mine. However, I was wrong and he finished my base off in no time. I was wondering, besides constant pressure(which I truly felt I did) what are counters for this strat.

64Mhz
06-26-2004, 01:20 AM
Mass raider can easily level a base in no time. TP to save your base. I would have gotten archers dotts(if he doesn't have alot of demos) and maybe an MG or 2. FF owns raiders and micro your dotts. Cyclone would've helped. If he does have demos or he can micro his raiders really well (or you can't micro for crap), make dryads. They eliminate the raiders' speed making it half as threatening.

Be sure to get healing scrolls against chain lightning shockwave but archers are the basis to this. FF owns.

Solitude
06-26-2004, 01:24 AM
For mass raider a good counter for n elf use dryads and hit em then make archers. Id use huntress to also ass the pressure

IGoFastChims
06-26-2004, 01:37 AM
Try AP pushing with mass archers and wisps, dust to stop BM.

http://www.wcreplays.com/pub_replays.php?get=3305

FS first, but same basic plan, a straight tech with a single hero

CraZyKoKeNo
06-26-2004, 01:59 AM
yo your gonna have to send me that rep ^^ anyway i agree i hate the way a good orc player can hide in his base like that, only leaving to harass and maybe creep. he can mass air, raiders whatev he wants. you cant use normal units to crack it really, maybe throwers or something though. the good news is raiders are siege dmg, meaning they would tear up hunts and casters, but not archers and such. maybe arch and dott would work? have to becareful of the dott though..try to minimize unarmoured units obviously :)
as far as heros go the wardy would be good for obvious reasons, and id stay away from slower heros because ensnare is amazing..

WildPlay
06-26-2004, 05:15 AM
Sounds to me like you left him alone and went creeping. If your description is correct there is no way he could have defended against a group of archers, impossible. You had more than enought time to get archers with tier 1 upgrades and devestate his base. If you scouted and saw what was going on, then you simply made a bad choice in strategy is all, learn from it. Now, as to the raider unit, hunts work just fine since they both do extra dmg to one another as the raider netting doesn't stop a unit from attacking.

KoGs
06-26-2004, 05:20 AM
KoTg owns raiders. Trust me, I am orc player lol. Raiders are only good for their speed, similar to huntresses. Entangle owns grunts as you know. And raiders have even less hp than grunts.

foxstoneeety
06-26-2004, 12:00 PM
err, make chims as fast as you can

BigWeso
06-26-2004, 12:24 PM
err, make chims as fast as you can

vs raiders? It doesn't work that well and he would have desroyed my base by then. He could just ensnare my chims...

And kogs, the BM would rape my kotg. He would just ww and strike kotg, which would be dead in only a few hits. I like DH to minimize WW and to be able to fight/kill BM and FS.

foxstoneeety
06-26-2004, 12:32 PM
ah yes i didnt think of that lol, prolly cuz i never went against mass raiders, hmm then make a combo of archers and hunts i guess... how much armor does a raider have btw?? if it is over 3 then get a few dott in there too, but actually from experience i did win a guy who went grunt/raider with chims and at start a few hunts is it that much of a difference?? he did ensnare my chims but i still beat him...

BigWeso
06-26-2004, 01:04 PM
ah yes i didnt think of that lol, prolly cuz i never went against mass raiders, hmm then make a combo of archers and hunts i guess... how much armor does a raider have btw?? if it is over 3 then get a few dott in there too, but actually from experience i did win a guy who went grunt/raider with chims and at start a few hunts is it that much of a difference?? he did ensnare my chims but i still beat him...

Yes I have faced grunt/raider/pult too. Im talking about fast tech with no tier 1 to double beastiery mass raiders. I guess archer/dott/dryad is best solution?

Merlyn
06-29-2004, 12:17 PM
I've been playing around with the Panda, and he works WONDERS against Raiders. Get drunken haze and drunken brawler (fire is bad) and his army slows down considerably, allowing you to pick them off one by one. Usually I get a Keeper first, then Panda when I see Raiders. The Panda is getting a boost to his ultimate in 1.16...should be cool.

Crysknife
06-29-2004, 03:18 PM
Dude the minute you saw a fast tech with only one tower and some burrows, you should have pumped like 4 or 5 glaive throwers. They have a larger range than towers and burrows, and If you entangle the enemy hero, he is just useless. You could have raped his base early game it sounds like.

PerfectDARK
06-29-2004, 04:14 PM
crysknife ur glaive thrower strat will never work against any decent orc player they ll usually get at least 1 grunts+hero before tech and this is enough to stop thiis.

Lerxst
06-30-2004, 11:56 AM
I've seen massing raiders done by ZeroX) on Azeroth and it is tough. The raiders are siege attackers and if done right... can pick off your units which straggle on behind the pack with their nets. Archers was okay to do but you needed a melee sort to distort his efforts. I think of raiders as a catapult on legs...

Andy Wilson
06-30-2004, 12:12 PM
on tevern maps I usually go goblin tinker against orc then go hippos and chims and creep and harass like hell with the tinker see DA MURDOC's tinker guide but soemtimes I go with the panda.

http://www.wcreplays.com/pub_replays.php?get=3224

PuRePaiN
06-30-2004, 01:09 PM
I play as orc, and only newbs try this imba shit. Firstly, you cant exactly attack an orc base as night elf because having the burrow support, the orc can easily take an advantage. Thus, you want to either open battle, or make him teleport (hopefully ending up in front). Vrs mass raiders you should be getting mass archers + dott, and ff their ass.

Hope this helped. Main thing you did wrong is no town portaling...they have seige AND dont have open battle while being owned by burrows, unless u have a large advantage.
u have peirce..Seige>peirce (vrs buildings)
Thus, he won. If u know he is getting mass raiders maybe a staff of teleport would help, ie: he destroys your town hall.
GL HF

Meru
06-30-2004, 03:51 PM
sacrificing your base in exchange for theirs is a surefire way to clinch the game under certain circumstances.
1) You'll get done killing his base at about the same time he gets done yours. (read: before he kills your base and comes back up to meet you at his)
2) He must not have more expansions than you if you're going to trade bases.
3) YOUR ARMY MUST BE ABLE TO BEAT HIS! In essence, what you're doing is knocking off both player's ability to re-build armies. So whoever has the most units left wins.

So if you're going to sacrifice (i.e. met all those conditions) you've still got a game ahead of you. Remember, losing your buildings = losing the game, so getting wisps up to your opponent's base (the one you're smashing) is good to build a new tree of life. Also, you need to be able to scout the map (sentinels on huntresses or Scout owl)... because raiders are hella fast and losing due to losing your base when you can win in a head on fight is a scary and sad thing.

Demongod86
06-30-2004, 05:19 PM
You see him teching with no rax: mass tier 2 ranged archers and annihilate him. Some orc tried this on me. He got killed. By the way, you're NOT going to trade bases quickly with an orc who wnet mass raiders. A mass raiders orc will kill your base FAR faster than you will kill his. DH/mass archers and naga added on wins. By the way, if he has no normal damage, you can kill his base with a fraction of your attack force. A DH and 11 archers is enough to take down an orc base with no grunts around, wihle a naga and other archers protect your base. It's the grunt/raider/pult that kills.