PDA

View Full Version : Replay Staff Openings!

Magess
07-10-2005, 08:55 PM
That's right, we here at WCR are looking for some new staff members (maybe 1, maybe 15), and if you enjoy watching replays, this could be the perfect way for you to give back to the community!

What we're looking for is people who like watching replays and are able to write up a short summary to help our members know what the game's all about. I'm sure most of you know how this process works, but if not, here's how it goes-

If you'll be able to do 6 replay descriptions per week, then you should send your application to applications@wcreplays.com with the following information:

- Name
- WCR Handle (forum name)
- Contact Information (AIM, MSN, or IRC)
- Why should we pick you?
- Sample Description

While all information is needed, the most important thing is the sample description. Applications without all the information, especially the sample description, will NOT be considered. While length is good, we're looking for people who have a solid grasp of the English language and can cover the key points of a game in a short but informative manner.

Sample descriptions should not be more then two paragraphs. Just provide a summary like you would if it was being prepped for the front page. For the replay itself, just pick any recent game from the top replay section and include a link in the email.

You have until Tuesday, July 26th to get your application in. That's PLENTY of time to get your applications in, but don't wait until the last minute :)

Also, be sure the subject of the email has your username. The applications account gets lots of spam, so if your subject doesn't look uniform it could possibly be overlooked. Your best bet is to make the subject Replay Staff Application - Username, obviously replacing "Username" with your... username!

And that's it! I wish you all the best of luck, and if you have any questions feel free to respond here and I'll try to answer them.

Gladiator
07-12-2005, 09:21 PM
i was just thinking "i wonder when WCR will have a staff opening, maybe I'll apply for it!"
not that i will. but im psychic.

bluebomber11
07-12-2005, 10:58 PM
is there money involved or are you just trying to sucker someone into doing it for free so they can have bragging rights or something....?

NethioX
07-12-2005, 11:08 PM
hmm I sent in a application, but I dont have MSN, AIM or IRC for that matter.. I have ICQ and Email. Is that enough?

Magess
07-12-2005, 11:28 PM
If you just have email, that could be fine. If you're hired then we would just use PMs on the forums to relay important info.

bluebomber, there's never money involved. Everyone who works here does it because they love the game and the community. I'm not trying to "sucker" anyone. I don't think it's about bragging rights or anything either... but everyone woule have their own reasons for applying, I guess :)

Communication
07-13-2005, 12:06 AM
you get staff... "benefits"

EpicZeRo
07-13-2005, 12:07 AM
Yep, and let me tell you... THEY'RE AWESOME!

Deadpoo1
07-13-2005, 12:52 AM
Yep, and let me tell you... THEY'RE AWESOME!

Do we get health insurance yet?

EpicZeRo
07-13-2005, 01:46 AM
Can't reveal that information, sorry.

IC.Shadow
07-13-2005, 02:07 AM
The health benefit is I only whip you 5 times per failed quota as opposed to the usual 50 from before. Consider yourselves lucky. The labour union came after me pretty badly. Apparently, beatings are frowned upon in the Warcraft world.

Amez
07-13-2005, 02:17 AM
You guys have it easy.. I was the last one that Shadow administered the 50 whip punishment on, trust me, it wasn't fun.

W00t.Ataraxia
07-13-2005, 03:32 AM
Ahahaha funny wcreplays staf... ^^
You should just say that those that get the job will get to work with bunny...that should get you 15 replay summarizers :P
Anyways, I think I"ll apply..I watch pretty many replays already :) might as well write something about them and get famous.

I_Mass_Pitlords
07-13-2005, 04:08 AM
I want to apply.

What?

.....................damn.

tact-
07-13-2005, 05:55 AM
cAn I aPPLy? i hAs goOd eNgriSH

Birdman
07-13-2005, 07:33 AM
Done MWAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA. One question, If we get "hired" can we make a new name?

I_Mass_Pitlords
07-13-2005, 08:22 AM
You can get a new name now, just PM shadow or epic.

Birdman
07-13-2005, 08:36 AM
But I dont want any old name...

I WANT YOUR NAME !!!

KinG-BoWser
07-13-2005, 08:59 AM
lalalalaal =(

fuzzytoad
07-13-2005, 11:52 AM
lol, I_MASS_PHREAK

Ashura
07-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Does it have to be a top replay from wcreplays.com only or can we use a recent top game from replays.net also?

IknowFoV
07-13-2005, 12:20 PM
well, i think i'll aply, my english sucks a bit, but it should be good enough to descripe some replays, and i think wcreplays.com is looking out for some european staff members who can tell them all the hot news from oversea :)

i gonna apply, now i'm sure u want me!^^

Amez
07-13-2005, 12:49 PM
Neophoenix : It can be any replay you want to use.

best_orc(Player
07-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Ive applied now. Just gota wait for the good news

LaffyTaffy
07-13-2005, 01:55 PM
wow. DEFINITELY applying :D

butcherski
07-13-2005, 02:12 PM
i just wanna ask if we have to search replays ourself ?? from what i know players send thei replays to approvers and they check'em but its obvious they will send their replays to ppl they now ... and finally can you be kicked out from this job ??xD ( for lack of replays ) everybody can browse other replay pages and post their replays here XD

Magess
07-13-2005, 02:26 PM
1) Yes you can get your name changed if you want.

2) Nah you can pick a replay from some other site if you want.

3) Our replay staff has a steady source of income (replays) from submitters, but sometimes you'll need to go to other sites to get them (like WC3L, replays.net, whatever). It's only a couple clicks though, so... yeah.

Amez
07-13-2005, 02:27 PM
You can get replays from anywhere you want and upload them here as long as you give credit to the site where you got them from. We also have our own replay submitters who upload replays for us in a private forum. And you can and most likely will be fired if you do not meet the quota (6 descriptions per week).

Wow die Magess, you responded .5 seconds before me :(

LaffyTaffy
07-13-2005, 02:31 PM
[lol. sounds good.

Ashura
07-13-2005, 04:53 PM
Alright, thanks for responding fast, just finished up mine and sent it in! :)

Coookie
07-13-2005, 11:34 PM
Just sent mine :)
Good luck to all others who also submitted :D

NethioX
07-14-2005, 12:07 PM
Okay so you think I will definately need to go to other sites to get replays? or maybe I could live off the replay submitters ? :)

Lockon
07-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Well, you only need to do 6 a week so I think it's possible to live off of the submitters if you're quick enough to respond to them.

But to be nice to the other guys, it would be good to go to somewhere like Replays.net

Heck, if you know the right people or find players that want to submit games, you could have your own submitters.

Amez
07-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Most of the time we have a good ammount of replays in the replay submitters forum. But no one can guarantee that you'll always have your 6th replay every week waiting for you there, so it might take a little effort to come up with a few yourself.

NethioX
07-15-2005, 10:40 AM
when do we get informed if we got accepted or not?

Amez
07-15-2005, 03:09 PM
That's up to Magess, he'll most likely send you an email or contact you on aim/msn sometime (maybe after the 26th when applications are no longer accepted?)

Edit : Oh yeah, and he'll only contact you if you've been accepted.

Hammet
07-16-2005, 09:59 PM
Uhm yeah in the application must we include the replay ??

Amez
07-16-2005, 10:05 PM
It does not need to be included but you can upload it to member replays if you want.

Lee-volution
07-18-2005, 07:12 AM
I got got to put my user name in my e-mail title. Oops, there goes my chance ><

I_Mass_Pitlords
07-18-2005, 09:56 AM
I got got to put my user name in my e-mail title. Oops, there goes my chance ><
Top tier!

Lee-volution
07-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Top tier!

Point being??? I do not understand Pitlord-speak, you're going to have to try and make sense when you reply, sorry, I know it's hard for you.

Amez
07-19-2005, 07:21 PM
I understand exactly what he said. Immense sarcasm! Gotta watch out, that IMP is a sneaky one. :)

\/\/ick3d
07-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Loosely translated, it's 'Great job, dumbass!'

<3 Lee

Lee-volution
07-19-2005, 09:02 PM
Hey, I tried. I made a formal 1 page "Job Application" style letter too :(

Stig_rename
07-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Sorry if it's a bit late but I have sent an application myself now.

The replay is worth watching too ^^

Ashura
07-21-2005, 12:26 PM
I don't think they are actually going to watch all the replays but probably just use it as a means of reference...if the mods do watch the replays feel free to correct me but that would mean watching ALOT of replays from all the applications.

MonteCristo
07-21-2005, 12:50 PM
Entry is in. Huzzah!

Psychomantis
07-21-2005, 04:14 PM
well i have sent a description of an imaginary match up between remind and bjarke ^^ hope this is all what u needed!! :)

LethalMofo
07-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Well sent mine in but messed up and forgot to put the unifrom title :disgust:

i put The apps for wcr i feel like such a moron now

Magess
07-25-2005, 01:55 AM
Alright guys, I have some good news, and some not so good news.

Well, it's all kinda mixed, so I'll just put it all together.

Picking who to hire was really, really tough. There were quite literally 25 people I wanted to hire and was considering.

The problem with that, however, is that sometimes there simply isn't enough replays to go around to the staff. I brought six people on after just a couple days, and it was already drawing the replay source well dry.

Yet the good applications kept pouring in.

I did set aside a few, but I'm all done for this round of hirings. A lot of you guys had really good applications and I wish I coulda brought you on, but there wouldn't be anything for you to do :-\

So what's the moral of the story? The point is don't wait until the last minute to get your application - be on top of it and submit it in the first few days!

But staff openings are pretty frequent, so don't hesitate to apply next time there's room and if you put as much effort in next time as you did this time (heck, maybe turn in the exact same application), you'll get different results.

Oh, but the good news? I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico!