PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial for intermediate

Fierce_Potato
03-29-2004, 11:55 PM
Ok, Got a situation here. Im not a bad artist. I have been able to look at many of samwises drawings and then draw them over again just by looking at them. Not tracing. My problem, is that I never know how I should draw each part of the character. Like, how the face should look, what position and so on. I have a good idea, but im not quite sure how I would go about drawing it. I dont wanna say anything cus one a u might take my idea. =) Any tips for getting started on my own drawings? I mean do u guys start out with jsut ovals and stuff at first? cus my problem is that I try and detail each opart to quickly. ie, I will detail his entire face and then ive up after i make his neck and arms look like shit. Ill try and give u guys some of the pics that I redrew. :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam:

HYPOCalvin
03-30-2004, 12:31 AM
u probably don't want to face teh fact, but the key to drawing just about everything is basic shapes or blocking things out, light sketching etc.
if u want to draw a person like samwise does or any other accomplished artist, u will need to learn how to draw the stuff in the basic shapes first. that means u will need to get rid of ur habit of drawing details.
go really broad.
for example, wut I wud do is draw the entire body first, put the layout on the page. so that way, i won't be finished drawing the torso and then my feet won't hav room. that wud suk.
once i layed out my format, i would check the anatomy. no details yet, just making sure the proportions are correct.
after that, draw the smaller stuff, like the PLACEMENT of the fingers legs, muscles, and where the everthing would be located.
and when u established a gud foundation, then start doing details, like the eyes and individual fingers, clothing desgins and stuff.

i reconment getting one of those basic anatomy books where it shows u step by step. those block things are actually really important.

p.s. box everything out when drawing

pzarr
03-30-2004, 12:34 AM
umm...i know a lot of people started w/really simple stuff. a couple people i know, and myself included, started doodling several years ago based from stuff like dbz and pokemon. from there its a good start point to keep working on stuff.

Tank.
03-30-2004, 06:39 AM
i started off by just sketching characters and cartoons I saw in books etc. I became very good at drawing things I saw and started to get a sense of perspective etc. From there I'd say the next step is to begin drawing from your own imagination without copying other images. It will probably look crappy at first but with practice you'll get better.

ARtistiC
03-30-2004, 08:15 PM
-_-; <------- started fomr dbz *sigh

Seshoumaru
03-30-2004, 11:58 PM
draw cubes onto the picture. Then take a piece of blank paper, and draw those same boxes. Then draw what you see in each box. Then move onto un-boxed paper.

HYPOCalvin
03-31-2004, 08:39 PM
try gridding if u want to just copy a picture exactly

Kinjal
04-02-2004, 12:39 PM
Yeh i have the same problem. I can easily draw any picture you put in front of me. But i have alot of good ideas in my head also, my problem is getting those ideas to the paper. I dont know why but i just cant seem to do it. Im going to try what most of you suggested, but we will see i guess.

VuLLs
05-12-2004, 09:37 AM
close eyes view pictures u want to draw in head. draw on paper line for line curve for curve. when u open eyes picture in head should be on paper. simple as that. only blessed skilled warriors of the draw can perform this feat u probably saying to your self right bout now. but thats not the case i've seen many people do it in my college class to a exact awesomeness.

KenDeathwalker
05-12-2004, 10:20 AM
Simple as this. When starting off break the figure down into simple shapes. Then create an outline using those shapes, all of this is sketched very lightly, then once the outline is down use shapes again to do the details( armour weapons what ever). Once you have a nice clean line drawing, start rendering.

Demongod86
05-12-2004, 01:05 PM
I believe drawing in proportion goes something like this.

Your average person is six heads tall. The chest is usually one and a half heads wide. The entire upper body is I believe 2 heads tall. The lower body (waist down) is 3 heads tall. Arms go to the middle of the thighs.

Heroes are eight heads tall, unless it's muradin :P. He's inly 4 heads :P

KenDeathwalker
05-13-2004, 01:56 AM
I believe drawing in proportion goes something like this.

Your average person is six heads tall. The chest is usually one and a half heads wide. The entire upper body is I believe 2 heads tall. The lower body (waist down) is 3 heads tall. Arms go to the middle of the thighs.

Heroes are eight heads tall, unless it's muradin :P. He's inly 4 heads :P

If you want to get technical its 7 and 1/2 heads tall for the average person, according to Michelangelo ( if you dont know who that is... im sorry for you), he used that scale when sculpting his statue of David

Lordofhjoerring
05-13-2004, 04:41 PM
I've been taught that you should go for eight heads, for a normal person. Half of the body height goes to the legs and feet. Upper half is divided into four fourths. Upper fourth is head. three lower fourths are torso and neck.
The lower half of the body (legs) Is divided into two. where the two halfs meet is where the knees would be.

But i use these rules very seldom. I usually go with my instinct. I've always drawn from my own fantasy, ever since i was a little boy. AND i've always drawn monsters, and dinosaurs and such. (Not really relevant, Just thought that i might want to try out some new stuff :rolleyes: )