PDA

View Full Version : Shoutcast Department Openings

JacziE
02-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Shoutcast Department Openings!

Have you ever listened to a shoutcast and thought, "hey! I can do that!" or maybe even "Oh geez, I can cast waaaaay better than that guy"; then don't let your silent flaming go to waste and apply for this opening to prove that you have the guts and gusto to be a member of the WCR shoutcasting department.

So what does it take to be a shoutcaster? Here are the basic and NECESSARY requirements:
- You must own a good microphone.
- You must be able to speak fluent english with a clear speaking voice.
- You must have a good knowledge and overview about the game and all of its races.
- You must have a relatively good internet connection.
- Your must be able to cast at least once a week for at least 2-3 hours.

Okay, you got all that? Good. Here's what you need to do to send in an application:
- Record a shoutcast sample. Download a free or trial version of an audio recorder [www.download.com (http://www.download.com)] of your choice. Pick a replay, preferably something you haven't watch yet or haven't memorized by heart. Play the replay and record your cast. (You can start at around the 2:00 minute mark and skip the build orders, unless you want to do a little intro for yourself and your cast regarding the replay or event it was played)
- Archive your .mp3 file along with your chosen replay into a .zip or .rar file.
- Write me a cover letter with your specifics:

- Real Name
- WCR forum name
- Times that you are available to cast (day/time) in your own timezone; in CET (Central European Time) and in EST. Use a web time zone converter [Time/Date Converter (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html)] to figure it out!
- Write why you want to be a shoutcaster and why we should hire YOU!
- Attach your file along with your cover letter all typed out on the email and send it to jaczie@gmail.com with "WCR Shoutcast Application - YourForumUserNameHere" as the subject. YourForumUserName = your WCR forum handle/name.

Extra Notes:
- Don't try to memorize the replay and "cheat" by scripting your cast. I can tell. :] Spontaneous is good, cutting off sentences is okay is something completely different happens just as you are describing another. The key difference between audios and shoutcasts is the element of unpredictability; so if you memorize and script it, you are better off waiting for an opening in the audio department!
- Don't be nervous and DON'T STOP TALKING when you make a mistake! Just do a little laugh, say you're sorry and go on. I would prefer it if you NEVER pause the recording at any point and at any time. Just go on as much as you can.
- Don't worry about your accent. Some people love 'em!

===

Deadline for application is on the 23rd of February.

This position is strictly voluntary. This site is run purely by the dedication of the staff, and none of us receive any monetary payment for the work we do, but you shall receive all the benefits that staff members do.

For questions, just reply to this thread!

And for those of you who apply, get ready for an OPEN MIC night that I'll schedule up soon when you pass the shortlist!

13ang13ang
02-09-2006, 02:16 AM
hmm.. maybee ill apply. I think i have more of an audio voice than a shotcasting voice though.

W00t.Ataraxia
02-09-2006, 02:28 AM
This might be fun..! Not sure if I'm good enough, or my mic for that matter >_<

Sinsation
02-09-2006, 02:55 AM
Eh, when's the deadline for the applications?

JacziE
02-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Deadline for application is on the 23rd of February.

Fixed!

Raihn
02-09-2006, 09:03 PM
if you are staff already, can you apply?

Orange
02-09-2006, 11:48 PM
didn't you guys hire shoutcasters last time you tried to hire shoutcasters and audio commentators?

BigBadDemon
02-10-2006, 02:28 AM
Hi Jaczie!

I just finished casting some games. Is it okay if I record my application game(s) in a somewhat lower quality to save space so I can actually send it by E-mail? My attachement size is limited, unfortunately. The quality would still be decent I think. Just do not want that to fall back on me in a negative way, when you review the casts.

JacziE
02-10-2006, 04:19 AM
if you are staff already, can you apply?

Ask bluedot, hoho :D

JacziE
02-10-2006, 04:20 AM
Hi Jaczie!

I just finished casting some games. Is it okay if I record my application game(s) in a somewhat lower quality to save space so I can actually send it by E-mail? My attachement size is limited, unfortunately. The quality would still be decent I think. Just do not want that to fall back on me in a negative way, when you review the casts.

Yep, no problem. Around 32kbps would do fine. :]

DjGrapes
02-10-2006, 09:54 PM
if i am successful in this position, how much will I get paid?

Amez
02-10-2006, 09:57 PM

Nothing, it's all volunteer.

JacziE
02-10-2006, 10:07 PM

Ten thousand pretend dollars!!

Sinsation
02-11-2006, 03:03 AM
Ten thousand Monopoly dollars!!

Fixed! ^_^

venividivici2
02-11-2006, 07:37 AM

how sad to even ask :annoyed:

DJ.KnockKnock
02-14-2006, 01:26 AM
If anyone needs an email account that allows larger attachment sizes let me know with a private message with your email addy and I'll send you a gmail invite. I have 100...

That's what I used to send in my app and it worked great.

DjGrapes
02-15-2006, 12:28 AM
its cool im doing it, not really fussed about money ya know, I probably be the next "bunny" when it comes to doin shoutcasts at live events in WCG and so forth

XxSomTingWongxX
02-24-2006, 05:05 PM
dang, if i only knew earlier

dope_starr
03-01-2006, 02:19 AM
I'm sending my application anyways. I strongly feel that my sample cast is of my higest quality, and I am already dedicated to being around more most leauge matches.

JacziE
09-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Bump.

I need more casters.

How about sending (or resending) applications? jaczie.wcr_at_gmail.com ;>

Moonflamen
09-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Jaczie i will be sending you one tonight....after i sober up a bit and get all these damn people outa my rooom lol youll love it stay up all night waiting should be able to do it in like 2 hours hoepfully people will move into the hallway

EDIT
Just a note i use a headset MIC which is usually pretty good and Acid Pro.....because I really dont know what to get so if the quality isnt great Then u can always tell me a diffrent program to use and ILl "leagally" Purchase that

SENT TO YEAH HOPE U ENJOY IT

SabakuTaiso
09-20-2006, 02:42 PM
I've sent mind. When do we hear who made it past the first stage? =]