PDA

View Full Version : Replay Staff Openings

Magess
12-19-2006, 04:09 AM
That's right, we here at WCR are looking for some new staff members (maybe 1, maybe 15), and if you enjoy watching replays, this could be the perfect way for you to give back to the community!

What we're looking for is people who like watching replays and are able to write up a short summary to help our members know what the game's all about. I'm sure most of you know how this process works, but if not, here's how it goes-

If you'll be able to do 6 replay descriptions per week, then you should send your application to applications@wcreplays.com with the following information:

- Name
- WCR Handle (forum name)
- Contact Information (AIM, MSN, or IRC)
- Why should we pick you?
- Sample Description

While all information is needed, the most important thing is the sample description. Applications without all the information, especially the sample description, will NOT be considered. While length is good, we're looking for people who have a solid grasp of the English language and can cover the key points of a game in a short but informative manner.

Sample descriptions should not be more than two paragraphs. Just provide a summary like you would if it was being prepped for the front page. For the replay itself, just pick any recent game from the top replay section and include a link in the email.

ATTACHMENTS WILL NOT BE OPENED!

You have until Monday, January 8th to get your application in. That's PLENTY of time to get your applications in, but don't wait until the last minute, because if I find a bunch of good people after a week I might stop caring for new applications :)

Also, be sure the subject of the email has your username. The applications account gets lots of spam, so if your subject doesn't look uniform it could possibly be overlooked. Your best bet is to make the subject Replay Staff Application - Username, obviously replacing "Username" with your... username!

Please note this position, like all others at the site, is strictly voluntary. You will not receive any payment, but will have access to the same site benefits that all staff members do.

Also, be sure you can submit replays via the Member Replays section, because if not, you won't be able to get the real one to work and joining Replay Staff would be pointless. The link is here (http://www.wcreplays.com/mwcrdesc.html).

As a general tip, try to have proper grammar. Capitalize player's names correctly, spell unit names right, and include the map name and starting locations in the description.

Note: Some of you have been here for a long time and know how this normally works. This time it will be a little different. I'm looking to interview possibly 20 people, and hire anywhere from 5-10. Just a little for your information.

And that's it! I wish you all the best of luck, and if you have any questions feel free to respond here and I'll try to answer them.

UnlockTheArcane
12-31-2006, 10:43 AM
Ok, A few quick questions

1) Do we have to give our address for location? Or just state/country like the tags?
2) Is are info kept confidential?

thats about it I'll try to send in an application as soon as I get a response 6 a week :P that less then 1 a day.

shoozer
12-31-2006, 03:37 PM
When I submit a replay into the member replays, I find problems with the description. I don't understand how to italicize, bold, color, enlarge, etc. And when I make paragraphs (press enter), the final description is just a huge wall of text w/o paragraphs. So if I try to apply, is it possible to explain the tags?

Ashura
12-31-2006, 03:54 PM
Ok, A few quick questions

1) Do we have to give our address for location? Or just state/country like the tags?
2) Is are info kept confidential?

thats about it I'll try to send in an application as soon as I get a response 6 a week :P that less then 1 a day.
1) If you live in USA then list the state as well, but if you live in like Sweden or something you don't have to list the city too. It's just to get a general idea of when you would be on and if you'd be around if like live events are going on (aka WC3L finals, etc) to put them up right after they finish, stuff like that.

2) Yes, pretty sure only 1-2 people see the applications overall.

When I submit a replay into the member replays, I find problems with the description. I don't understand how to italicize, bold, color, enlarge, etc. And when I make paragraphs (press enter), the final description is just a huge wall of text w/o paragraphs. So if I try to apply, is it possible to explain the tags?
Magess or Lockon will explain everything to you if you are accepted on the details of the description generator.

Fasho
12-31-2006, 05:45 PM
Submitted :)

Lockon
12-31-2006, 06:13 PM
With the member description generator you aren't given as many options for fonts and the like. The staff description generator gives you the option to use as much HTML as you want.

JuicyBerry
12-31-2006, 07:36 PM
so if u have no knowledge of html you are screwed :(?

Lockon
12-31-2006, 07:47 PM
Nah, you don't need to know a thing about HTML to be on replay staff.

CraZyKoKeNo
12-31-2006, 09:56 PM
who's responsible for providing the replays? does the prepper have to go to replays.net or something to get replays?

Lockon
12-31-2006, 10:14 PM
Replay staff members have the option of using the replay submitters, private submissions, or finding them on their own through either a league/tournament's websites or other replay websites.

IC.Shadow
12-31-2006, 10:19 PM
All you have to do is view any replay and it tells you about that stuff on the right.

is for a new paragraph. You do not need to include later. Just [p] at the start of each paragraph.

The rest are exactly the same as here. [I] for italics (you need [ /I] at the end, without the space before the slash), [B] for bold (same deal as I), [U] for underline and [QUOTE] for quoting.

al.
01-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Just submitted mine, hope to hear back from you guys soon.

JTA-
01-01-2007, 03:05 PM
submitted mine looking forward working with u all

UnlockTheArcane
01-01-2007, 03:17 PM
hmmmm. I sent mine in didn't save it XD and then it said something not compatible with html. Do I have to mail it through outlook or can I just use normal e-mail?

BoX
01-01-2007, 05:08 PM
for the paragraph thing, i've been just inserting <br> tags and then when you edit and resubmit the replay the html works :p

but i don't think you're supposed to be allowed to do that -_-

UnlockTheArcane
01-01-2007, 05:20 PM
:sadangel: Sorry guys I sent in my application and forgot to link the replay. I am so embarressed I'll link it here sorry for not putting it in with the application. But I don't want to spam your e-mail.

http://www.wcreplays.com/replays.php?get=9995

Slander
01-01-2007, 06:14 PM
So, like, I'm at home and don't have WC right now. Can I, uhh, watch a replay on YouTube and do it that way? :O

Tainted Sun
01-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Just FYI, this is not that easy of a job. I've done a few replays in my time here and it takes a lot of time. So don't apply unless you have a solid hour or two to donate to it each week.

LoveDrug
01-02-2007, 12:37 AM
Just FYI, this is not that easy of a job. I've done a few replays in my time here and it takes a lot of time. So don't apply unless you have a solid hour or two to donate to it each week.

QFT

DrZaP84
01-02-2007, 01:02 AM
submitted good luck everyone!

IC.Shadow
01-02-2007, 02:21 AM
Yeah, fair point, but there's two sides to that coin.

This replay job requires about 10-15 minutes of work per day (which is nothing). Any more than that and you're probably doing bonus work, which would be great, but rarely happens aside from Lockon.

By constrast, there are other jobs here which take 3 or more hours every day, are often less fun than posting replays and must be done consistently.

Posting replays may have its trying times, but it is still the easiest job at this website, so let's not make it out to be some giant chore (we have enough people doing that already...-_-). You are definitely right to reinforce that it is a commitment which must be maintained, but the job itself is far from difficult.

I don't want to sound harsh or anything, but if you can't even devote 15 minutes per day to help this website (which is all that is technically asked of you through the "quota"), then please don't even apply. We don't need more people failing to meet the quota mark because that's too common already. It only leads to unhappy members.

Having said that, spending 15 minutes to help the site every day in exchange for being a part of a largely great group of Staff = a good deal, so go for it.

Tainted Sun
01-02-2007, 07:47 AM
Eh, I think my job is the easiest. :happy: I guess that's 'cause I like what I do.

Warlord
01-02-2007, 11:29 AM
how exactly does it work when you are with replay staff?
I mean - does some one send you 6 replays and you need to make a descrption for them - or do you get 20 replays and you have to chose 6 and put them on the site ?

Tainted Sun
01-02-2007, 11:34 AM
how exactly does it work when you are with replay staff?
I mean - does some one send you 6 replays and you need to make a descrption for them - or do you get 20 replays and you have to chose 6 and put them on the site ?

Answered.

Replay staff members have the option of using the replay submitters, private submissions, or finding them on their own through either a league/tournament's websites or other replay websites.

Slander
01-02-2007, 04:17 PM
So, like, I'm at home and don't have WC right now. Can I, uhh, watch a replay on YouTube and do it that way? :O

Sorry for repeating myself, but it never got answered =\

NeedHelpWithTFT
01-02-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm pretty sure the answer is GTFO NOOB!

Tainted Sun
01-02-2007, 06:00 PM

I meant to answer that before. No, I don't see how that's remotely possible.

eazo
01-02-2007, 06:23 PM
On a side, not to make the job sound hard or anything, prepping 1 replay a day is easy. Prepping a whole clan match takes lots of TIME (it is by no means hard). The thing is that with a clan match (say 4k vs. MyM for WC3L), people don't want one game, they want at least the series of grubby vs moon, and ussually the whole clan match. 1 match takes 15-20 minutes to watch, and writing a good description takes at least 10 minutes (with screen shots, and proof reading, and adding all the extra stuff in there).
This is if you write descriptions.

Now just putting a league game from Ngl or WC3L on the front page, and putting "WC3L, 4k vs. MyM, Grubby vs. Zacard game 1" takes a grand total of 2 minutes.

What I'm trying to get at is that ussually you don't do one game a day, its ussually 3 or 4 (if not a whole match). And the way we try to organize things in the replay department is by claiming/doing different matches from leagues. That is if you write descriptions, which you are not required to do, but if all the games you put up have no descriptions, then im sure people wont like that.

LeavePlz
01-02-2007, 07:27 PM
I meant to answer that before. No, I don't see how that's remotely possible.
They have pro replays and vod's on youtube rofl...

Slander
01-02-2007, 09:11 PM
Why wouldn't it be possible? I would still be able to complete the majority of the things asked for, and I already know I can put replays into the member replay section :O

Tainted Sun
01-02-2007, 09:19 PM
They have pro replays and vod's on youtube rofl...

Oh really? I didn't know that 'cause I'm new to the internet and Warcraft. :rolleyes:

It would be hard to prep a replay by watching it through youtube because you'd have to find the replay file and the youtube file separately. Also, it would be quite difficult to make sure the replay you were posting was the replay you were describing. I'm also fairly certain that up to date replays are not available on youtube until someone takes the time to record them.

On another note, watching a replay on youtube would make it hard for the replay staff member to find out exactly what they would want to know in a replay, because it's pre-recorded. Not to mention it would be impossible to take good screenshots.

Oh, and the issue that youtube videos are larger files and would take more time to download.

I think all those reasons explain why I don't see how that's remotely possible.

Edit - Lockon brought it to my attention that perhaps you were only referring your submission replay. If that's the case then that would obviously work. The game isn't what is important, it's the writing that is. However, if you mean to do all your work through youtube as I had initially thought you meant, well, that would be quite hard.

Lockon
01-02-2007, 09:21 PM
The purpose of the sample description is to show that you can write well. You could make up a fake game and write a description about it.

As long as you show us that you're good at writing, I wouldn't worry about it being an actual replay.

AsTrOo
01-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Is there a certain age you must be before you can enter, cuz im 16 and I have easily 15 min a day.. im on wcreplays like 2 hours a day.. Can someone PM me incase i forget to check back here.. thx

IC.Shadow
01-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Sixteen is fine.

Glad was 12 when he was first hired.

AsTrOo
01-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Hehe cool, thanks.. So just to recap, I have to send in a sample description like along with a replay or what? I am sorry I am in a rush right now to go somewhere.
Just reply here what I need sorry again.

IC.Shadow
01-02-2007, 10:14 PM
You've pretty well eliminated yourself with all of your spam and off-topic comments in threads over the past 2-3 days (including piles as I type this), so maybe focus on not doing that anymore before you think about doing work here.

Slander
01-03-2007, 01:16 AM
Edit - Lockon brought it to my attention that perhaps you were only referring your submission replay. If that's the case then that would obviously work. The game isn't what is important, it's the writing that is. However, if you mean to do all your work through youtube as I had initially thought you meant, well, that would be quite hard.

Yeah, Lockon is right-on. I just don't have WC at home since I'm on break, but once I get back to my apt and start school I'll have it and the time required for it. So, I'll see what I can come up with.

Tainted Sun
01-03-2007, 05:40 AM
Yeah, Lockon is right-on. I just don't have WC at home since I'm on break, but once I get back to my apt and start school I'll have it and the time required for it. So, I'll see what I can come up with.

I see. Sorry about the misunderstanding. Best of luck to you :happy:

blaze
01-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Cool, how much do you get paid?

Tainted Sun
01-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Cool, how much do you get paid?

Two tokens for each replay posted. When you reach 100,000 tokens you may trade them in for Lockon's title as Replay Champion.

2lame4u
01-03-2007, 05:38 PM
i actually couldnt understand how many should the replays be and where should they be sent/uploaded.i would be really grateful if anyone could answer that.ty in advance

p.s. : sorry,i hadnt read it well,i found the information that i was searching ;)

KilleR_FroG-
01-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Shoutcaster job is where its at!

blaze
01-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Two tokens for each replay posted. When you reach 100,000 tokens you may trade them in for Lockon's title as Replay Champion.

As per my most recent post in the replay staff hiring thread, the Vegas odds for what reply will follow currently sits at:

3:2 for "Naked pics of [insert random staff member I don't know]"

3:1 for "rofl/lol/lmao"

4:1 that some staff member I've never spoken to posts a stupid image in an attempt to be funny, failing miserably

6:1 for one of the newer, more retarded staff members making a very serious "I am sorry to inform you that no monetary compensation will be provided, this is a volunteer job, thanks!"

12:1 for Magess saying something like "$8.50/hour" then posting "not" in invisible text so as to throw anyone off.
So incredibly predictable.

IC.Shadow
01-03-2007, 09:28 PM
rofl @ above

Tainted Sun
01-03-2007, 09:55 PM
rofl @ above

If you think that is funny...

Directly after reading what Blaze wrote, I IMed a guy on my buddy list named BlazeMcGeeFSK2, who I had renamed Blaze (thinking it was him). After like a 10 minute conversation he says, "What the hell are you talking about, I'm not from some forum," and blocks me.

Apparently it wasn't him, and I've been owned twice. Can we go for a third?

W00t.Ataraxia
01-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Man tainted, your ego must hurt now ^-^

Magess
01-05-2007, 06:39 PM
I <3 blaze.

In actual news, some of the applications so far have been looked at and a few people will be contacted starting soon (probably between Sunday and Wednesday).

Nafio-
01-05-2007, 10:59 PM
just to make sure, when you say before january 3rd, then that means you got everything on january 3rd? i sent mine in on january 3rd and wasnt sure if i needed to resend it or not.

BoX
01-05-2007, 11:01 PM
then resend it incase?

Ptnk.TriZ
01-06-2007, 01:22 PM
submitted good luck everyone!

mee too !

I love replays analysis ! So could s.o *(gosu)* analyse these reps for all !

Magess
01-07-2007, 03:09 PM
just to make sure, when you say before january 3rd, then that means you got everything on january 3rd? i sent mine in on january 3rd and wasnt sure if i needed to resend it or not.
Off the top of my head I don't remember seeing yours, so just resend it just in case, I guess :)

CraZyKoKeNo
01-07-2007, 04:47 PM
i sent mine.

BoX
01-09-2007, 11:56 PM
how many business days 'til who gets hired is announced :o

RadioMouse
01-11-2007, 06:36 PM
how many business days 'til who gets hired is announced :o

good question, about to ask it myself :x

BoX
01-16-2007, 05:50 PM
whaaaaat happened.. i wanted to be a replay poster :( <--- sad face

Magess
01-17-2007, 03:16 AM
Ok kids, I hate to say this, but we decided not to hire anyone.

...just kidding. It's been busy times, but seriously, we're trying to contact people! I'm not saying spend every minute on AIM or checking your emails, but if you only listed an email address or MSN address in your contact info, check it now (or at least once a day).