PDA

View Full Version : Audio Hiring Thread

bluedot
04-18-2007, 06:48 PM
Okie dokie guys and gals, you know how this works by now so I will keep it short. We're looking for some audio commentators to fill out our roster after some recent departures. If you've got the time to record one audio ever two weeks you can apply by:

- Picking a game in the WCReplays database (current patch only),
- Recording a sample commentary that's no longer than 3 minutes, and
- Sending it to us in an e-mail at applications@wcreplays.com, with a link to the game you covered. Make sure to include "audio application" in the subject line of your e-mail!

That's it.

Please, in the name of all things sacred, follow the few instructions here. It will really hurt your chances if you don't. We will accept applications for week or so and will get in touch with the folks who we want to hear more from. If you have questions post away, and either myself or SystemShark will try to get back to you as soon as possible.

Joseki
04-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Already sent mine to SShark =O

shoozer
04-18-2007, 08:04 PM
How do you apply when the application period for this is over? Like if you don't plan on applying now, but may want to apply later.

Hatchepsut
04-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Ok maybe this is stupid but how do I cover a game in 3 minutes ??? I cover it in general or like the first 3 mins ? lol

Joseki
04-18-2007, 09:11 PM
What I did for my little clip was talk about tower rushing elf on Echo isles. Just a little description, or little portion of something that you would normally talk about in a game.

I think the part about "picking a game" is a little unnecessary, especially because 3 minutes of talking is like 1/3 of what I talk about before I even unpause a game.

Hatchepsut
04-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Right, that makes sense. Thanks ! Off to recording :P

rt3378
04-18-2007, 10:05 PM
i just hope that there is a future speierg or phreak in here

doomdude21
04-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Yeaph, i'm your man..

Prepare for the best ACer you'll ever need to hear.. DoomDude21 (Coming Soon)

bluedot
04-19-2007, 10:41 AM
What I did for my little clip was talk about tower rushing elf on Echo isles. Just a little description, or little portion of something that you would normally talk about in a game.

I think the part about "picking a game" is a little unnecessary, especially because 3 minutes of talking is like 1/3 of what I talk about before I even unpause a game.

I will make sure to consult you next time I foolishly think of drawing on my several years of experience doing this stuff. ZING (just kidding)

But really, anyone with any experience can tell whether someone is good or bad within a minute -- which we have done before -- and it's often telling which segment a person chooses in that minute. If you have only one minute, pick an important minute in the game to discuss. This will showcase your analytical skills at the same time as you display your commentating skills. Plus, forcing someone to say something meaningful really seperates the shoutcasters from the commentators.

JokerZ
04-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Im gonna apply I think, possibly for fun more than anything, but hey thats what it all comes down to in the end.

Good luck and I hope the new future Audio Staff can bring us some great content!

Joseki
04-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Sorry sir. I was in no way questioning your experiance in "doing this stuff". I was just throwing in two cents about what I think. I apologize.

And about that whole 2nd bit, I agree. If I am not interested in someone after 2-3 minutes, I generally just stop listening to them.

blynk182
04-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Sorry sir. I was in no way questioning your experiance in "doing this stuff". I was just throwing in two cents about what I think. I apologize.

And about that whole 2nd bit, I agree. If I am not interested in someone after 2-3 minutes, I generally just stop listening to them.
You forgot to </kissass> (for a nice html joke)

Joseki
04-19-2007, 11:07 PM
I like to believe respect is different than kissing ass ^^

Vex.Marquise
04-20-2007, 03:03 AM
hi there

Mad_Madness
04-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Yeaph, i'm your man..

Prepare for the best ACer you'll ever need to hear.. DoomDude21 (Coming Soon)

Please no :(

Moonflamen
04-20-2007, 02:14 PM
Its not about Covering an entire game, What you want is to pic the best 3 Min segement from your audio, and say really what does this 3 minutes have that Someone elses wont. DO you know what your talking about, do you sound confident, were you hysterically laughing at your own joke. Its all good

RedRagToAnOrc
04-21-2007, 10:21 AM
DO you know what your talking about, do you sound confident, were you hysterically laughing at your own joke. Its all good

It's not. Laughing hysterically for three minutes is what you do once you get hired, not when you're trying to get hired.

Orange
04-22-2007, 01:20 AM
If we're sexy does that give us a better shot of being on staff?

EDIT: Nvm, you guys hired phreak, I forgot.

Joseki
04-22-2007, 02:47 AM
whelp, my submission is in, GL to everyone else.

Elf.Lord
04-23-2007, 07:31 AM
I suggest Quethree as an audio commentator, although he's traveling and will be back only next week....

Idioteque
04-23-2007, 10:35 AM
You forgot to </kissass> (for a nice html joke)

hah

Joseki
04-23-2007, 11:20 AM
I suggest Quethree as an audio commentator, although he's traveling and will be back only next week....

I was unaware quethree ever did audio commentaries.

OoP.Sundown
04-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Please, i beg of you people, hire a HUMAN ACer... we need them, bad, very bad :)

Ignite_24
04-23-2007, 03:05 PM
They most likely will hire Joseki and he is a Human AC'er. :)

shoozer
04-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Please, i beg of you people, hire a HUMAN ACer... we need them, bad, very bad :)
Joseki.

Elf.Lord
04-23-2007, 06:52 PM
How many spots we have for AC'ers?

shoozer
04-23-2007, 09:15 PM
Question - Can you resend an application if you have a better sample audio commentary?

EDIT - I'm asking this cause my application audio could've been much better. I relistened to it and I had some doubts. Then I rerecorded another, and found out what I didn't like about the first one.

bluedot
04-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Hey guys, I'm going to make a front page post about this but I wanted to put it here as soon as possible. We're in the middle of an e-mail probelm so if you want to send in an application, send it to wcraudio@gmail.com. Also, take this as an opportunity to change your audio submission if you would like to. Sorry for the hassle :(

JokerZ
04-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Resending, thanks for the headsup.

bluedot
04-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Another update: the WCR e-mail box is back up and running. However, and this is really important, if you submitted an audio to applications@wcreplays.com, you must re-submit the audio. It was erased along the way and we don't have it. You can send it either to applications@wcreplays.com or wcraudio@gmail.com, we'll be checking both.

We're going to keep accepting for a few more days, maybe a week or so, so that everyone has a chance to get his application in.

SySShark
04-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Just another update - we are currently reviewing all of the applicants and I've noticed that a few of you are not keeping to the 3min rule - which is a shame because we're passing you over because of that; even if you show some talent. So please stick to 3min's and under. We are NOT looking for a full length audio at this point in the application process. We just need to hear you speak, see how you present points, and follow criteria ;-) No need to discuss the "3min rule" in the audio sample either. As far as just sending in 'cuts' of past audios - thats fine if you think its the best work you can produce; I'd rather hear you discuss a favorite segment of a replay and why you liked it - demonstrate your 'style' of audio commentating.

*edit*
Just to reiterate - again - Its not necessary to mention that "i only have 3 mins to record this" during the AC. Some of the samples we've received, the potential commentator spends the first minute discussing the time constraints.. waste.

AbstraKt
04-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Mines was 3:05 :( is that ok?

SySShark
04-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Thats not too bad; I'm talking about the ones that go 4-10+ mins.

EnmityOwnsDotA
04-28-2007, 12:02 AM
Which program do we use to do audios?

bluedot
04-28-2007, 01:07 AM
Which program do we use to do audios?

One good program is Audacity. It's free to get and easy as hell to use.

ffa.smerbeck
04-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Hold the phones, lemme get mine in.

How long will this be open for?

kornuletz
04-30-2007, 09:43 AM
i have a simple question: what software do you use/recommend to record the audio commentaries?

ffa.smerbeck
04-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Look 2 comments up... Well 3 now.

Fray
04-30-2007, 01:34 PM
i have a simple question: what software do you use/recommend to record the audio commentaries?

One good program is Audacity. It's free to get and easy as hell to use.

ftw.

Ignite_24
05-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Uggh the suspense is killing me...

Are you guys still reviewing the samples?

BoX
05-04-2007, 02:30 PM
mr nathan fray your live journal is not loading sir

JokerZ
05-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Uggh the suspense is killing me...

Are you guys still reviewing the samples?

I think all of the 3 mins samples have been reviewed now and the people who have progressed to the next stage have been contacted. However, I guess it depends when you submitted, they may have just not got round to reviewing yours yet.

Joseki
05-04-2007, 10:08 PM
I belive JokerZ- is right on this one. =)

Ignite_24
05-05-2007, 03:51 AM
I think all of the 3 mins samples have been reviewed now and the people who have progressed to the next stage have been contacted. However, I guess it depends when you submitted, they may have just not got round to reviewing yours yet.

Oh I didn't submit one...I'm just waiting for them to announce it cause I'm 99% sure Joseki will get a spot= more audios now lol.

SySShark
05-05-2007, 02:25 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone who sent in applications. We have brought on 3 new trial audio commentators and they will make themselves known very soon! although this means there isn't any more official hirings going on; feel free to continue to submit samples and create member audio commentaries. The first place we look when we need to bring on new people is the member AC section of our website and it can be a good place to practice and get critiques from your peers.

PopaSmurf
05-05-2007, 03:35 PM
yay joseki ftw !! make us human players proud =]

JokerZ
05-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Joseki and Orange are two of the commentators, not sure who the third is yet though. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Good luck to you all! =)

AbstraKt
05-05-2007, 06:50 PM
i hope one of them covers NE.

Ignite_24
05-05-2007, 08:53 PM
yay joseki ftw !! make us human players proud =]
Yeah finally! Congrats on the new job! Good luck Joseki. NEW AUDIOS PLZ. lol

Off topic: Congrats to Popa for the replay staff spot also.

Humans PONE! lol

PopaSmurf
05-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Yeah finally! Congrats on the new job! Good luck Joseki. NEW AUDIOS PLZ. lol

Off topic: Congrats to Popa for the replay staff spot also.

Humans PONE! lol
ty sir. =]

ffa.smerbeck
05-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Ahh damn missed everything.

Sigh, well GL to you guys can't wait to hear the stuff!

bluedot
05-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Work is out already but just to make it official, the second round of tryouts is over and the people who were selected have been brought on staff. If you're curious about the weaknesses in your application I'd be happy to let you know my opinions if you PM me. Just make sure you give me enough info in the PM to associate you with your application file if your member name isn't on it.

Thanks to everyone who applied. And to the folks who might be feeling a bit let down that they didn't get in, I just want to mention that ever since I began working with the audio department oh-so long ago, Orange has applied every time we opened hiring and his persistence and positive attitude on the forums were really a great benefit to his application.

ConciliatoR
05-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Hey guys!

My computer has been a little fucked up lately, but it's fixed now, this meant, that i was told about the applications a little late, when do you stop reviewing them? i really hope you will take your time, to listen to mine...

Khazal / ConciliatoR

SySShark
05-08-2007, 11:22 AM
We always review the audios/samples - but were not currently looking for anymore new hires at the moment.

Joseki
05-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Basically your best shot is to make member audios and post them in the member audio section. Eventually you will get recongnized or have another chance to apply.