PDA

View Full Version : Cool utility for Warcraft! Disable Win key.

Nazeeh
05-10-2004, 02:25 PM
Hi guys...

This is a cool little utility I put together for Warcraft. You know how you could be in a big battle, and you're hitting all kinds of keys. When by mistake, you hit the Win key, and you're pulled out of Warcraft. By the time you come back, your hero is dead!

Well...this little program I wrote is called "safewarcraft.exe". Unzip it anywhere, and run it. It will disable your Win key, run Warcraft and when you quit, it will re-enable the Win key for normal operations.

It requires the .Net framework btw... you can get that from www.microsoft.com.

Have fun.
Thanks

Vicious
05-10-2004, 05:23 PM
Just take a screwdriver and remove that little bitch from your keyboard. GG.

IJJusion
05-10-2004, 05:27 PM
^
|
ROFL

good idea nazeeh, help avoid some needless losses
thnx

Wren
05-10-2004, 05:37 PM
no offence but I would rather do this reg edit (http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/549/) then install a program you wrote.. especially if it requires .net framework. There is NO reason a program designed to disable the win key MUST have .net framework installed. Sorry, I'm not buying into this line.

VuLLs
05-10-2004, 05:40 PM
trojan virus hack virus cd stealing bs dont install any programs enless windows signed and from a legit source. ya agreed with Wren use regedit and net framework is gay it eats ram in back ground.

Nazeeh
05-10-2004, 06:13 PM
It does take some RAM :( It's because of the .NET framework... but in my case (I did write it for me initially), I have 1 GB of RAM, so I don't mind the RAM...

As for it being some kind of CD grabber or anything like that, I can easily give you the source code... it's like 10 lines of code for the entire thing.

Finally...the registry solution does work, but it's global. It completely disables the key. I don't want that, I use it all the time, I just wanted to disable it while running Warcraft.

Nazeeh
05-10-2004, 06:15 PM
If you guys are worried about the RAM, I could always write up a version in C++... that will not need .NET to be loaded :) And I would post the source code...

But only if I feel it's in demand... if you guys are ok with the registry solution... that's fine :)

Bluebamboom
05-10-2004, 07:31 PM
its so much easier to just get a little wad of paper and squeeze it between the key.

it makes it inpossible to hit without putting super force on it (im pretty sure everyone just accidentlys hits it when there trying to hit the alt key) so when your finger hits a solid button that wont go down, you know its the windows key and your correct yourself and hit the alt key

Abuse.Craft
05-10-2004, 08:26 PM
Naz, Id be happy to try out the C++ version but I dont know much about .NET -- what I do know is I dont have enough ram to run 2 programs requiring .NET however... ReplayTray comes before your prog. Put it in C++ and then send the source... Ill run it.

Nazeeh
05-10-2004, 11:41 PM
Abuse.Craft

Well...if you are already running something that requires .NET, a second program won't take up much more memory since the .NET runtime is already loaded in memory. So in your case, you're good to go with this one.

Abuse.Craft
05-11-2004, 05:50 PM
Really? Okay -downloads-

VIRUS!?

Lol, just kidding. Yeah your right its nice but I dont really like it becuz I actually use the win key rather than alt + tab (alt + tab causes my system to lock up occassionally) nice program though... its safe guys so if you were worried about that....

I guess he was like me, too lazy to wtrite the program in a harder language =D

Grommy
05-11-2004, 09:24 PM
Ack, this framework thing takes RAM? Is there a way to keep it turned off, or do I gotta uninstall?

Abuse.Craft
05-11-2004, 10:17 PM
Its fine, it doesnt take too much. I dont experience any problems with it. And yeah I think if you close the program that uses it, then it turns itself off, but odnt quote me.

EpicZeRo
05-11-2004, 11:40 PM
Definately a good contribution, but this belongs in the Miscellaneous Tools & Content forum. Thanks!