PDA

View Full Version : The Shoutcast Department is Hiring!

RedRagToAnOrc
02-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Shoutcast Department Openings!

Have you ever listened to a shoutcast and thought, "hey! I can do that!" or maybe even "Oh geez, I can cast waaaaay better than that guy"; then don't let your silent flaming go to waste and apply for this opening to prove that you have the guts and gusto to be a member of the WCR shoutcasting department.

So what does it take to be a shoutcaster? Here are the basic and NECESSARY requirements:

- You must own a good microphone.

- You must be able to speak fluent English with a clear speaking voice.

- You must have a good knowledge and overview about the game and all of its races.

- You must have a relatively good internet connection.

- You must be able to cast at least once a playday (eg. NGL) for at least 2-3 hours.

Okay, you got all that? Good. Here's what you need to do to send in an application:

- Record a shoutcast sample. Download a free or trial version of an audio recorder [www.download.com (http://www.download.com)] of your choice. Pick a replay, preferably something you haven't watched yet or haven't memorized by heart. Play the replay and record your cast. (You can start at around the 2:00 minute mark and skip the build orders, unless you want to do a little intro for yourself and your cast regarding the replay or event it was played)

- Archive your .mp3 file along with your chosen replay into a .zip or .rar file.

- Write me a cover letter with your specifics:

- Real Name
- WCR forum name
- Times that you are available to cast (day/time) in your own timezone; in CET (Central European Time) and in EST. Use a web time zone converter [Time/Date Converter (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html)] to figure it out!

- Write why you want to be a shoutcaster and why we should hire YOU!

- Attach your file along with your cover letter all typed out on the email and send it to WCRShoutcast@gmail.com with "WCR Shoutcast Application - YourForumUserNameHere" as the subject. YourForumUserName = your WCR forum handle/name.

Extra Notes:

- Don't try to memorize the replay and "cheat" by scripting your cast. We can tell! Spontaneous is good, cutting off sentences is okay if something completely different happens just as you are describing something else. The key difference between audios and shoutcasts is the element of unpredictability; so if you memorize and script it, you are better off waiting for an opening in the audio department!

- Don't be nervous and DON'T STOP TALKING when you make a mistake! Just do a little laugh, say you're sorry and go on. I would prefer it if you NEVER pause the recording at any point and at any time. Just go on as much as you can.

- Don't worry about your accent. Some people love 'em!

- Remember, Member Casts are fine, but we are hiring you to provide a Shoutcast for professional games, and not purely for Member Casts - bear in mind you'll have to fit at least some of your working times around NGL games, ZOTAC, xLoCup and the like!

===

Deadline for applications is the 1st of April.

This position is strictly voluntary. This site is run purely by the dedication of the staff, and none of us receive any monetary payment for the work we do, but you shall receive all the benefits that staff members do.

For questions, just reply to this thread!

2k8.Tom
03-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Good look to all who apply!

SuRaaL
03-01-2008, 05:53 PM
dree-ads! :lol:
You're so awesome, you should apply <3<3

RedRagToAnOrc
03-01-2008, 06:53 PM
dree-ads! :lol:

Shar-men!

ReddFoxxofHell
03-02-2008, 12:57 AM
I like to say "pak ya ca", but no one will ever hear it because I won't apply.

fridginators
03-02-2008, 03:31 AM
To those who are applying, if you would like any help in applying or would like just some general advice, then feel free to contact myself, or indeed any of our lovable Shoutcast Staff.

I look forward to seeing some new blood, so go get applying people. The job is tons of fun - I look forward to shoutcasting all the time. Plus you get to get into the pro games, talk to some of the players, and get to do a lot of cool stuff you probably wouldn't if you weren't a shoutcaster. So apply, gogogo

doink
03-02-2008, 05:14 AM
- You must have a relatively good internet connection.

*cough* fridge *cough*

RedRagToAnOrc
03-02-2008, 06:42 AM
To those who are applying, if you would like any help in applying or would like just some general advice, then feel free to contact myself, or indeed any of our lovable Shoutcast Staff.

I look forward to seeing some new blood, so go get applying people. The job is tons of fun - I look forward to shoutcasting all the time. Plus you get to get into the pro games, talk to some of the players, and get to do a lot of cool stuff you probably wouldn't if you weren't a shoutcaster. So apply, gogogo

Yes, this is one thing I didn't put in the OP. You really get to know a lot of high-up people in the WC3 community. I've talked to both professionals and managers, along with a lot of conversations with ZOTAC/NGL/GGC admins. :)

64Mhz
03-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Deadline for applications is the 1st of April.

Shoutcast position opening is an april fools joke! Don't give in! :P

RedRagToAnOrc
03-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Shoutcast position opening is an april fools joke! Don't give in! :P

Haha nice spot, I didn't notice that. ;)

Now apply, damnit.

MaGiCMaN.
03-03-2008, 06:42 PM
lulz. lame i so do this but im running dial up atm. im gettin highspeed in like a feew weeks (they just putyting it in where i live) (out in the middle of nowhere :( ) any chance for me!?

fridginators
03-04-2008, 02:55 AM
Yeah sure, that's fine. My first real shoutcast was only around a month after I joined Staff, and that was just a Member Cast. We're lenient, but we do ask that if you do join up that you will be able to shoutcast around once an NGL Playday (which go for around a fortnight). Obviously you can skip one or possibly even two, but we do want you to be on the ball usually. As a Trial Staff Member, we do expect you to cast relatively closely to the outlines.

Besides, you don't always have to cast NGL games. Zotac casting is fine too, as is xLo cups and lower level leagues like Panda G League, WPL or some such. Member Casts are okay too, as long as you do cast league/tournament games too.

So basically, yeah as long as you get a relatively stable fast internet connection within a month and a bit, you're fine. We do need you to submit your audition though, but that just requires a Word Document and a recording program like Audacity.

So yeah. Apply people!

Paradoxical
03-05-2008, 02:27 AM
"Do you have a good command of the English langauge..."

The irony, hahaha. :rofl:

fridginators
03-05-2008, 05:35 AM
Oh shut up (and apply ^^)

mystic[lynx]
03-06-2008, 07:23 PM
im not a shoutcaster and i know people "high up" in the w3 community and managers,ect too so beat that! ^^

fridginators
03-07-2008, 04:26 AM
Grats. I'm cooler than you though.

ReddFoxxofHell
03-08-2008, 02:17 AM
Can I apply?

RedRagToAnOrc
03-08-2008, 06:06 AM
Can I apply?

Is the Pope Catholic?

Is Phreak gay?

fridginators
03-08-2008, 07:18 AM
More apps the better.

Btw, Phreak is straight :).

fridginators
03-20-2008, 02:13 AM
GO APPLY GO!

Ciel
03-20-2008, 02:23 PM
GO APPLY GO!

Yes.

That's right, I'm bumping the Shoutcast topic above the Replay's one. We have a battle of departments!

fridginators
03-23-2008, 12:28 AM
Bump Shoutcast over Replay and Writing!

Wanted-
03-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Hmmm, this doesn't seem as time consuming as writing and sounds fun. I made an AC like this on yaws and grubby, but deleted it soon after learning I made a shoutcast. I cried learning 1 hour of my life again was wasted.

If you to be kind enough and let people come in a little late because my schedule is hectic since my projects/school work are really jammed up. *Science Fair Project mostly* Just wondering, and also if someone would be kind enough to tell me how to watch NGL games and etc that require a map pack, I got the map pack from NGL 07-08 and I was still unable to watch them.

RedRagToAnOrc
03-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Hmmm, this doesn't seem as time consuming as writing and sounds fun. I made an AC like this on yaws and grubby, but deleted it soon after learning I made a shoutcast. I cried learning 1 hour of my life again was wasted.

If you to be kind enough and let people come in a little late because my schedule is hectic since my projects/school work are really jammed up. *Science Fair Project mostly* Just wondering, and also if someone would be kind enough to tell me how to watch NGL games and etc that require a map pack, I got the map pack from NGL 07-08 and I was still unable to watch them.

There's a new mappack, the NGL 2008 one. We're fine about flexibility, plenty of people can't cast religiously every week. Go for it, in all honesty.

Wanted-
03-23-2008, 10:06 PM
How do I dl my audio (From Audicy) into a mp3 file folder and into a zip folder? I'm sorry for this question, I know it's stupid. Also how do you up the microphone volume? I put it on max on audicy but it's very low still. It's also maxed on microphone O.o

RedRagToAnOrc
03-24-2008, 07:47 AM
How do I dl my audio (From Audicy) into a mp3 file folder and into a zip folder? I'm sorry for this question, I know it's stupid. Also how do you up the microphone volume? I put it on max on audicy but it's very low still. It's also maxed on microphone O.o

On the "File" tab, there should be "Export as..." options. .mp3 or .wav files are fine. You might have download some additional software.

As for volume, to the left of the wavy bit which appears as you record, there are two scrolly-bars. The top one controls volume - higher volume reduces quality, so don't increase it too much.

EDIT: Thank you to everyone who's put the time in and applied so far! I'm enjoying listening to the apps, keep them coming. Decisions will be made shortly after the deadline.

Patience
03-25-2008, 06:34 AM
On the "File" tab, there should be "Export as..." options. .mp3 or .wav files are fine. You might have download some additional software.

As for volume, to the left of the wavy bit which appears as you record, there are two scrolly-bars. The top one controls volume - higher volume reduces quality, so don't increase it too much.

He also forgot to mention that to convert an mp3 file into a zip file you'll need to add it to a zip archive (using a program like Winrar, which you can download for free, just google it)

If you have trouble with any audio issues, let me know and I can probably pimp your audio for you. All those member AC's make me l337 at mp3 file converting and winrar archiving =D

Cheers!

-Patience

Patience
03-25-2008, 06:39 AM
Also, I was thinking of applying for this (shoutcasting sounds like an interesting change to AC'ing, which I of course enjoy immensely!) although I already applied for some other stuff, so I don't think it's still worth it, although I might do one just for the hell of it.

Time will tell.

-Patience

Ciel
03-25-2008, 06:46 AM
I <3 the shoutcast department.

Apply and get some <3!

Patience
03-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Geez Ciel, plug much!? :P

fridginators
03-27-2008, 03:01 AM
Guys, we really need your Applications asap, so we can make a quick decision. And I'd strongly advise you practice your application, because they're definitely what matter most.

RedRagToAnOrc
03-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Guys, we really need your Applications asap, so we can make a quick decision. And I'd strongly advise you practice your application, because they're definitely what matter most.

When Fridge says "we need them asap", he means "we need them by the deadline". The deadline is the 1st April. If you want a job, get them in by then. :)

fridginators
03-29-2008, 06:30 PM
When Fridge says "we need them asap", he means "we need them by the deadline". The deadline is the 1st April. If you want a job, get them in by then. :)
When RedRag says "we need them by the deadline" he means "SEND THEM IN NOW OR DIE!".

Anyway, we've been discussing these for a while, and if you guys are still thinking about sending in an app, we'd much rather it was sent in tomorrow than sent in on April 1st. But still, you have the time, and any application is better than no application.

RedRagToAnOrc
03-31-2008, 03:30 PM
28 hours, guys. We won't automatically judge late apps. :)

Orton
03-31-2008, 03:31 PM
Too late for me :)
Would love to apply, but I only just sorted out my software.

Besides, I hate my voice. xD

RedRagToAnOrc
03-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Too late for me :)
Would love to apply, but I only just sorted out my software.

Besides, I hate my voice. xD

28 hours, guys. We won't automatically judge late apps.

Teh haXxX?!?!

Wanted-
03-31-2008, 11:25 PM
How do I put both replay and audio together in the same zip. I have both seperately.

Squishy_Paladin
04-01-2008, 12:43 AM
I'd love to do this, but my mic isn't great and I have New Zealand internet. However, I'd certainly try it in the future :) .

RedRagToAnOrc
04-01-2008, 09:32 AM
How do I put both replay and audio together in the same zip. I have both seperately.

Make a zip folder, drag and drop. Success!

Wanted-
04-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Now how to I send the zip folder to the email lol.

JokerZ
04-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Attach it like any other file. What email provider do you have? Hurry you only have 40 mins left! :O

Wanted-
04-01-2008, 07:58 PM
omgoomg I'm using the email adress provided and I have the replay and audio together

Wanted-
04-01-2008, 08:01 PM
...Error! GG
"Oops...The system was unable to perform your operation (error code 008)
Please try again in a few seconds."

I tried 6 times

Using normal Gmail btw.

fridginators
04-02-2008, 01:49 AM
... host it on Filefront. Rapidshare is okay, but Filefront is better.

Hurry though.

RedRagToAnOrc
04-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Deadline's up afaik.

Obviously I can't tell you anything detailed (!!) but we're just finalising our decisions and getting one or two things sorted out. Thanks for your patience, guys. :)

Scruffy-
04-05-2008, 06:34 AM
I sent mine in :D. But I'm very concerned at the stability of my internet when I was originally posting it ,ect. I had cable and now my sis got a new comp and connected wireless and its alot slower. :(

Idioteque
04-07-2008, 05:11 AM
oh my, looks like I missed the deadline! I'm really considering taking up the good old shout casting spot again.

RedRagToAnOrc
04-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Yeah, unfortunately we're really definitely not accepting any more apps now. We had one a few days after the deadline and we had to start taking that into consideration, which made the whole process a bit longer as everyone listened to it/we decided what to do etc.

Between SuRaaL's being at university, this new app and slight complications in the hirings, we're going to be taking a bit longer. I don't want to do a Karune and say "it's almost done" then not say anything for two weeks, so I'm getting this out there to let you know.

Probably best to try and forget about it for now. :)

ReddFoxxofHell
04-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Yeah, unfortunately we're really definitely not accepting any more apps now. We had one a few days after the deadline and we had to start taking that into consideration, which made the whole process a bit longer as everyone listened to it/we decided what to do etc.

Between SuRaaL's being at university, this new app and slight complications in the hirings, we're going to be taking a bit longer. I don't want to do a Karune and say "it's almost done" then not say anything for two weeks, so I'm getting this out there to let you know.

Probably best to try and forget about it for now. :)

Oh just say it I fucked up the application process. I only sent it in to give you guys a little laugh, not to actually try out for a spot. I thought i said that somewhere in my application but i guess i forgot to or something. Anyways just go with who you had before i sent in mine. I tried to make it as funny/bad as possible just to give you a little humor break at either laughing with me or at me.

fridginators
04-07-2008, 11:48 PM
I sent mine in :D. But I'm very concerned at the stability of my internet when I was originally posting it ,ect. I had cable and now my sis got a new comp and connected wireless and its alot slower. :(
Unless your sister is going to be using her internet at 1-6AM don't worry about it lol.

Yeah guys, as RedRag said, it's been slow - Things have popped up. We're really sorry, and we're trying to get things done as fast as possible. From the looks of it now, we'll have our new staff by the next NGL playday, but I'm not guaranteeing anything.

Thanks for your patience, and thanks a lot for the applicants.

Xypher[zL]
04-08-2008, 12:44 AM
Do people actually listen to this shoutstaffing bullshit besides the staff?

Squishy_Paladin
04-08-2008, 03:16 AM
Boooo, shame on you.

RedRagToAnOrc
04-08-2008, 04:20 AM

:stupid:

Well there wouldn't be much point doing it if that was the case.

Scruffy-
04-08-2008, 04:47 AM
They listen to redrag and fridge cause they are 2 of the most sexy voices :).

ReddFoxxofHell
04-08-2008, 06:08 PM

Is she hot because I can make the connection stable. *BAM*

Scruffy-
04-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Dude stfu ..................................................

fridginators
04-09-2008, 04:28 AM
Is she hot because I can make the connection stable. *BAM*
That's just so horribly good. Reminds me of Downwhere.

No spam though guys please.

And don't think we've forgotten about these or are being lazy. This is taking far longer than we originally thought it would.

Squishy_Paladin
04-09-2008, 05:05 AM
Least you give updates, unlike the replay staff :( Fucking anxious about getting on rep staff now lol.

Scruffy-
04-09-2008, 05:30 AM
dw squishy you will get in :), wanna play some ggc games to take your mind of it :] ? maybe a little vent :)?

Squishy_Paladin
04-09-2008, 06:30 AM
dw squishy you will get in :), wanna play some ggc games to take your mind of it :] ? maybe a little vent :)?
I'd be up for that at the weekend mate, need a little prac to get back into shape :)

Scruffy-
04-09-2008, 07:25 AM
I'd be up for that at the weekend mate, need a little prac to get back into shape :)
Yeah I've been playing alot of orc and its been fun ^^. My mirror is k lawl :cool:

ReddFoxxofHell
04-10-2008, 01:51 AM
Dude stfu ..................................................

Don't hate theres enough love to go around.....just not with me......

Anyways I'll wait patiently since well yeah I can't do anything else.

fridginators
04-10-2008, 02:53 AM
Hey Shane, remember what I said about keeping this thread spam free?

I think we're almost at a decision anyway.

Scruffy-
04-10-2008, 04:07 AM
^ Sorry :( I'll stop

RedRagToAnOrc
04-10-2008, 06:30 AM
Okay, the Shoutcast Dept have made their choices and we're just clearing them with the admins. Unless they say otherwise, should be done soon.

Scruffy-
04-10-2008, 11:45 PM
Omg Omg Omg Omg =d

RedRagToAnOrc
04-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Okay, choices were finalised this morning. Upgrading of accounts should be done in the next few days, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Scruffy-
04-11-2008, 09:44 AM
So you cant just tell us :(?

RedRagToAnOrc
04-11-2008, 11:44 AM
So you cant just tell us :(?

I'm afraid not just yet. The main reason for this;

If we were to tell people they'd been hired and then there was a sudden change of heart/decision by an admin/HoD, how do you think that person would feel? I can imagine they'd be pretty annoyed.

Once the accounts are promoted, I'll post in this thread who got the positions.

EDIT: I'm not saying that the positions are still "under discussion" - we've made our choices - but until the hirings actually physically happen, we can't be 100% sure anybody has a spot.

Scruffy-
04-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Oh ok I understand , thanks =]

Squishy_Paladin
04-11-2008, 11:36 PM
I'm guessing you're going for this Scruffy? If so, good luck, I need more casts from this side of the world :)

Scruffy-
04-12-2008, 02:45 AM
Thanks babe ;)

Idioteque
04-13-2008, 10:29 PM
who's this scruffy guy?

fridginators
04-13-2008, 11:33 PM
A forum member.

We're getting everything ready. We're so sorry guys. As Red's been said, the choices have been made. We've confirmed them. Now all that needs to happen is for an Admin/SuRaaL to mail them and for them to be upgraded to Staff. Once that happens we'll announce them.

RedRagToAnOrc
04-14-2008, 06:14 AM
Yep, SuRaaL's given the go-ahead so the admins should hopefully upgrade the accounts at "some point today". If not today, then tomorrow. I'll post in this thread to say who got the spots when the accounts have been upgraded.

Good luck. :)

RedRagToAnOrc
04-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Congratulations to Scrufy, JokerZ and Wicken for their successful applications! Comiserations to all unsuccessful applicants.

Squishy_Paladin
04-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Well done guys. Gogo Scruffy :)

Wanted-
04-17-2008, 09:28 PM
damn attach file...

shoozer
05-08-2008, 08:10 PM
can i still become a shoutcasteR???? :D:D:D

Ciel
05-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Your best bet is to PM SuRaaL if you genuinely want a position, however most matches are being filled pretty quickly at the moment so I would suggest you wait for the next set of hirings. :)

fridginators
05-10-2008, 06:15 AM
Yeah, we probably don't need anyone just yet. It's often a lot better to apply within the application period :P. Still, if your application is hot stuff (if you make one), we might consider.

Just PM SuRaaL anyway.

Moonflamen
05-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Id love to give it a try again, if WCR needs anyone new :P

ffa.smerbeck
05-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Good luck guys, it's tons of fun. =)

ReddFoxxofHell
06-26-2008, 10:45 PM
So how are the new shoutcasters doing? I haven't heard anything from them in while.

Ciel
06-27-2008, 06:04 AM
Two of them are no longer on staff and one is on vacation at the moment. :(

sihamzhai
06-27-2008, 07:27 AM
Wow. thats sad. The shoutcaster and audioers are slowly going away. Is it because of SC2??

I know 1 trial staff is down, I don't know who the other is and guess the one on vacation is none other than Suraal??

ReddFoxxofHell
06-27-2008, 08:14 AM
Two of them are no longer on staff and one is on vacation at the moment. :(

That sucks.

Ciel
06-27-2008, 08:17 AM
Wow. thats sad. The shoutcaster and audioers are slowly going away. Is it because of SC2??

I know 1 trial staff is down, I don't know who the other is and guess the one on vacation is none other than Suraal??

Nah, he meant the trials. Suraal is just busy with university. Scruffy and JokerZ are the guys no longer on staff and Wicken is on vacation.

That sucks.

Too true.

sihamzhai
06-27-2008, 09:43 AM
4 down...leaving only fridgi, frog and red rag i guess. We need more shouters

Wanted-
06-29-2008, 07:48 PM
So does this mean you'll have openings again?

fridginators
07-02-2008, 01:28 AM
Honestly, we shouldn't be having this few shoutcasts but we've all had our respective reasons - Exams, sickness and bad computers pretty much. We should be returning to regular activity next season of NGL, and we're definitely going to keep TGIF alive as much as we can. Plus I think I'll start casting some Zotacs. Sorry about our inactivity, but don't worry, it's not gonna be forever :P. I have holidays for two weeks, so I'm gonna do some casting then. Tons of Member Casts anyone? :).

Wanted-
07-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Honestly, we shouldn't be having this few shoutcasts but we've all had our respective reasons - Exams, sickness and bad computers pretty much. We should be returning to regular activity next season of NGL, and we're definitely going to keep TGIF alive as much as we can. Plus I think I'll start casting some Zotacs. Sorry about our inactivity, but don't worry, it's not gonna be forever :P. I have holidays for two weeks, so I'm gonna do some casting then. Tons of Member Casts anyone? :).

Give me stream and I'd be glad to shout cast.

Orton
07-03-2008, 07:59 AM
Give me stream and I'd be glad to shout cast.

I think they're quite protective of the stream.

fridginators
07-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Lol, don't ever think you're going to ever touch the stream unless you're on Staff.

I think there was some open mic night on several years ago. Wasn't that open though - But there were like 6 people who casted over 12 hours, 2 hours each I assume. I suppose if some people are interested we might have another one, but none of us can Stereo Mix iirc, so it might not be possible. Just a thought anyway.

ReddFoxxofHell
07-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Lol, don't ever think you're going to ever touch the stream unless you're on Staff.

I think there was some open mic night on several years ago. Wasn't that open though - But there were like 6 people who casted over 12 hours, 2 hours each I assume. I suppose if some people are interested we might have another one, but none of us can Stereo Mix iirc, so it might not be possible. Just a thought anyway.

Pffftt they let me do it like 4 or 5 times. How not not open could it have been.

sihamzhai
07-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Dude...just relax...it will be another few months time b4 they make another hiring...so just wait

Wanted-
07-03-2008, 10:41 AM
I think they're quite protective of the stream.

after you hear UNlock say "You can't shoutcast cause blah blah blah" over and over again you tend to know why you can't do membercasts and etc. I meant would he happen to have a stream that wasn't related to the forum. Like Jokerz had his own stream or something.

sihamzhai
07-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Jokerz was trial shoutcaster...

Ciel
07-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Nah, Wanted's right. JokerZ did have a stream before making staff. You'll have to speak with him though if you want know about how to get one, which probably won't be free.

fridginators
07-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Yeah he said he had a friend in the right place or something like that, so he basically just had a free stream of his own to use.