Post New Thread

Thread: Collar Stays: Keep or Not?

Collar Stays: Keep or Not?

You know, those little stubs that keep your collared dress shirts straight when you buy them. Are you supposed to keep them in or not? I've heard many mixed opinions, and I have decided to appeal to the final court of authority, WCR.

i keep them in, cause i don't take good enough care of my shirts. if i took them out, the collar would curl in for me

iron them and hang them properly and you can take them out

If this is a democracy then I vote throw it out and hang up the shirt on a coathanger.

Hang collared shirts and do up the first, third, and fifth buttons (if a fifth button is applicable) to keep the shirt nice an stiff. Might not apply to all shirts, but I ususally dress up business casual to most classes I have presentations in (honestly about once a week) as well as business socials and events. I hardly have to iron my shirts with this method, but ironing the night before is a good habit to have too.

Edit: 1st, 3rd, and 5th starting at the neck of the shirt so the collar stays "together" and doesn't tend to curl or spread too wide (where it becomes a pain to iron and have it comfortable.)

I usually do that too, so i don't really see too much trouble with the collars. can you usually see collar stays? i think it'd look rather tacky if you could.

The standard collar stays should always be removed. They are usually made of plastic and will bend like crazy anyway. Most people never use collar stays because a soft collar comes across more gentle and friendly instead of the formal and correct collar stays.

The only time when you want to use them is for something really formal, a funeral, a wedding, a banquet or meeting with an official. Then you should look at collar stays made of mother of pearl (MOP) or sterling silver.

Throw out shirt, keep stubs.

I always take them out; I'm scared they'll slip out onto my plate of food one day.

dont need it cuz i pop my collar

Post New Reply

Thread Information