Post New Thread

Thread: MMS in Starcraft

MMS in Starcraft

I just thought about some wierd shit in SC2. I always get matched up against better players.

Atm i am playing in platinum league(mostly because i went 5:0 in positioning matches) and i am barely winning there.
    I am at 75% considering with only 20+ games played, while the first 5 where those positioning freewins, thats like 66% win ratio right?

Now i am quite low in my platinum league(and i doubt that the league i am in is any good at all) still the last 3times i checked i got matched against Diamond players.
    At all i cant remember a single game where i was considered even "slightly favored".

How can i, who barely is a platinum skilled player, get matched up against diamond players so often.
    Are there so much more Diamond players playing than players in lower leagues?
    Shouldnt the lower league be filled first while the diamond leagues should be the tip of the iceberg?

isnt the mms trying to even everyone out to a 50% winrate?

I can only remember two times when it said that the match was "evenly matched", two AT 2vs2 games. As far as I can remember in all my games in beta (I have never played retail), my opponent(s) were either "slightly favored" or "favored". I was playing in bronze and silver leauge if that matters. Is the system broken? Were there perhaps so few players in the pool when I played because of my low level that there were mostly just better players for me to be matched against? I got I think less than 50% winrate. I don't think as little as down to 40% though, I don't know.

I think this is the general idea for a 50% winrate, so you can probably expect it to go down to 50-60% at which point you will get more balanced games. This is the reason why you are playing diamond players. Also the leagues are basically irrelivant, or an invisible barrier if you will - I guess the premise is that they are divided based on percentile. Hopefully this answers your questions. But since you probably played Beta wouldn't all of this all seem obvious?

I have a question now . . . on my cheesy 2v2 Rt I don't think I have ever got a matchup where I was "said" to be favored on the loading screen, this is quite strange since my stats are really not that great for 2v2.

from what i've seen and heard, it's a glitch that's been going since beta.

however, i dont believe that this is the case. most of the people here on wcr are decent, and have more wins than losses. obviously the MMS will try to put you against someone at a 'higher level' than you, simply because you have more wins than losses. they purposely try to stop your win streak, so they put someone favored against you. i think that makes more sense, however i haven't tried losing tons of games so perhaps it is a glitch.

EDIT: the guy above beat me to it, ha.
    Last edited by Strength; 08-02-2010 at 01:52 PM.

@ Wienna you probably just had a string of bad games which let you fall below 50%, so someone with say a 42% record would not seem unreasonable.

Design Staff
    Next to Cleanliness

Yeah during beta if I got put in Gold all I would play was Platinum. It wasn't difficult for me against those players, but it still raises an eyebrow as to why I wasn't in their league to begin with or them in mine. Everyone reassured everyone else that it was because the player pool was limited in beta and it would smooth itself out on release..well I guess not.

Not understanding the league system at all. Your league name holds no value, your rank within a division holds no value, and tons of people are misplaced.

The always (read: alot of the time) seeing your enemy as slightly favored or favored is because it compares your CURRENT rating compared to their HIDDEN rating. So often both players have a higher hidden rating than their current rating (ie they havent maxed out games to be on the right rating) which will result in both players seeing eachother as slightly favored/favored. Its just a way to get people to their destined rating faster.

Post New Reply

Thread Information