Post New Thread

Thread: Harmonizing vocals

100 Point Level

Harmonizing vocals

Hello everyone.

I am in a band and usually when the lead vocalist sings, sometimes there's a perfect place where a harmonization should come in. I know inside my head what note I should sing, but I just can't sing it. I have perfect pitch but I cannot seem to sing the harmonizing note.

How do you develop the ability to harmonize? I think the answer would just be to just keep practicing. Should I just keep practicing? Or is there something I'm missing?

You have perfect pitch yet can’t harmonize?

Hmmmmm, usually the chorus is a good place for harmonies. Try figuring out the vocal line on the guitar and then experiment with different 2 note chords till you find something you like. Then just sing it with the guitar until you can do it.

It can take a little practice to not sing the same notes as the lead.

Or maybe try and lean a few Bad Religion songs. I really like the harmonies they use. They do it in just about every song… In fact I can’t think of one that doesn’t…

Listen to a perfect circle - blue or a perfect circle - weak and powerless. The harmonies in that song are insane in the choruses . May help you out a little bit.
    Voted #1 Speller Of The Year
    Voted #1 Pro WC3 Gamer Of The Year

These are the people behind the elves we are losing against. I rest my case, GG

Some of your trouble might also have to do with a lack of preparation before the note. Imagine the note in your head a few seconds before it comes, then put your mouth in the shape required to issue the note, breathing a vowel that easily transitions into the first consonant of the harmony. If the harmony begins with a vowel, then you can just breath that vowel beforehand with your mouth in the appropriate shape. Hope this helps a little.

Keeper of the Groove

@ OP i think i sort of get it. often times i hear the right note in my head but can't produce it

it'll probably improve with practice, one thing you might try. start with the main note and then 'walk' to the desired note in steps

100 Point Level

Yes, that's what I've been doing. I have to walk down to whatever harmonizing note it is, but I'd like to be able to hit the note on the first try, haha.

Post New Reply

Thread Information